ACCRINGTON Stanley fans have recalled the 'horrific' violent episode following their side's 1-0 away win over Mansfield.

Trouble erupted as fans were heading for the exits by the Stanley support coaches outside Field Mill stadium.

Crowd safety officers were forced to intervene to break up a crowd of around '100 people'.

Nottinghamshire Police said they are investigating to understand the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Ian Reynolds-Young, 59, who has supported the club since last January and made the 180 mile round trip to watch Stanley play Mansfield, said: "The coaches didn't get there until half time because there was an accident on the M62 and when we got there the away end numbers doubled.

"When Conneely scored (in the second half) right in our end the team and fans went ballistic which seemed to affront the Mansfield fans.

"When I walked out of the stadium and got onto the coach a Mansfield fan said something to me really threatening and snarly. I was a little worried.

"The next thing I saw was a whole surge of people around the coaches and blows being exchanged and stewards trying to get involved. There was then all kinds of kicking and punching going on.

"One (Accrington fan) was kicked to the ground and his head was repeatedly pushed into a kerb while a bunch of other (Mansfield) fans were taking pictures and laughing.

"We were like sitting ducks until we saw blue lights flashing and the cavalry turned up. The police managed to get the whole crowd back and the coaches left in convoy."

Mr Reyonlds-Young also said fans travelling by coach back to Accrington had to wait 'over an hour' after the game ended before they departed.

Peter Leatham, chairman of the Official Accrington Stanley Supporters Club, also attended the game and said he had not seen anything like it in 40 years of watching football.

He said: "A lot of clubs have some fans who take part in an element of unsavoury behaviour.

"Unfortunately the last two games, away to Mansfield and away to Luton, there's been similar problems at both.

"Because of where Stanley are in the league unfortunately it seems to have brought out the Neanderthals.

"There were scenes where groups of people were running around with black scarves over their faces, they were out to cause trouble, they might not even have been supporters.

"The majority of Stanley fans just want to go and watch the game and enjoy themselves.

"I've been watching football 40 odd years and I've never seen scenes likes this before, and I've been to a lot bigger games than this."

A 41-year-old Accrington Stanley fan, who also attended the match, said: "This is like what happened at Luton the other week. The (Mansfield fans) were waiting outside for us.

"It's one of those things you don't want to see at a football match and could put people off going to games in the future.

"There weren't enough police at the game but then again they wouldn't have expected trouble at a League Two game."

After the game, one Accrington fan tweeted: "So called Mansfield fans waiting for us at the coaches and it kicked off.

"Fights broke out police lashing out with batons."

Accrington Stanley chairman Andy Holt said: “We had a few beers in their sports bar with their fans after the match, vast majority were great company.

“Those covering their faces do so for a reason and must be dealt with.

“Ban them. Hiding your face is not acceptable in football.

“It should like a boxing match, bit of needle before the game, shake hands after the game, win, lose or draw.”

A Nottinghamshire Police spokesman said: "We are investigating following a disturbance between two sets of supporters following Mansfield Town Football Club’s match against Accrington Stanley on Friday 30 March 2018.

“Officers responding to the disturbance arrested and subsequently de-arrested one man in connection with the incident.

“No further arrests have been made in connection with the incident, although officers are investigating to understand the circumstances surrounding the disturbance and to establish whether any further offences were committed.

“Anyone with any information about the incident is asked to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101."