FIREFIGHTERS were called to a chimney fire last night.

Two fire engines and crews from Blackburn and Preston attended the fire at a house in Further Lane, Mellor, at about 7pm.

The blaze had begun to spread to the loft space of the property but firefighters used a water mist spray pack to put out the fire.

No one was injured.

The fire service have now issued advice on how to avoid chimney fires.

They said people should clean their chimney regularly.

Residents should also avoid burning household rubbish and soft woods as it can cause a build up of resin, tar/soot in the flue linings and start a chimney fire.

In recent years, chimney fires have been increasing as has the popularity of the multi-fuel fire.