OUR regular round-up of people who have appeared in court recently. 

Former soldier sought help after assault

A FORMER soldier assaulted his partner when he was suffering from severe anxiety and depression.

Blackburn magistrates heard since the incident Scott Christian Kay had referred himself to the mental health service and spent time in hospital.

And Shaun Finnigan, defending, said there had been a massive change in his client’s attitude as a result of the treatment he had sought and received.

Kay, 28, of Russia Street, Accrington, was convicted after trial of assault. He was sentenced to 10 weeks in prison suspended for 12 months and made subject to a community order with 20 days rehabilitation activity requirement. He was ordered to pay £300 compensation, £620 costs and £115 victim surcharge. He was also made subject to a restraining order for two years which prohibits him from having any contact with the aggrieved.

Mr Finnigan said Kay, who served for seven years in the Scots Guards, had taken positive steps to change his life.

District Judge James Clarke said the victim had been assaulted in her own home where she was entitled to feel safe.

“I am satisfied I can suspend the sentence, largely because you sought medical help,” he said.

Estranged husband’s step too far

A 37-YEAR-OLD man breached a court order by stepping into his estranged wife’s house when he went to collect his children.

Blackburn magistrates heard the breach had led to a first appearance in court for Raymond Carpenter.

Carpenter, of Grange Street, Burnley, pleaded guilty to breach of the order. He was given a conditional discharge for six months and ordered to pay £85 costs and £20 victim surcharge.

Enza Geldard, prosecuting, said Carpenter had sent his wife a text message asking her to send the children out.

“While the door was open he entered the house which he was forbidden from doing,” said Mrs Geldard.

Woman back in court over pestering her ex-wife

THE same day she was convicted of harassing her ex-wife a 55 year old woman made contact with her.

Blackburn magistrates heard Debra Taylor-Webb contacted the aggrieved, who was visiting her sister, and said she hoped she had a good evening with her sibling.

“That made her aware the defendant knew where she was,” said Enza Geldard, prosecuting. “The next morning items had been posted through her car window.”

Taylor-Webb, of Adamson Street, Burnley, pleaded guilty to harassment. She was made subject to a community order for 12 months with 30 days rehabilitation activity requirement, fined £50 and ordered to pay £85 costs and £85 victim surcharge. She was made subject to a restraining order.

Mr Geldard said on January 19 a hand written note had been put through the window of the victim’s car and she had received numerous voicemail messages.

In her car she found a ripped up wedding picture of them, their wedding certificate which had been cut in half and a watch she had been given by the defendant which had been smashed.

At the time of the first conviction for harassment the aggrieved did not want a restraining order. But on the same day there was further unwanted contact from the defendant.

“She doesn’t want anything more to do with her and now requests a restraining order,” said Mrs Geldard.

Catherine Fell, defending, said her client found the end of the relationship very difficult.

Dad yelled at former partner at school

A 28 YEAR old man who was upset at not being able to see his son shouted abuse at his former partner as she was waiting outside school.

Blackburn magistrates heard Karl Wickers later left a message saying he would wait every day because he wanted to see his son.

Wickers, 28, of Lloyd Street, Darwen, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour.

He was given a conditional discharge for six months and ordered to pay £50 compensation, £50 costs and £20 victim surcharge.

The court heard Wickers was subject to a non-molestation order at the time of the offence.

However, the court said it was accepted that he was not aware of the order.

Scott Parker, defending, said his client apologised for his behaviour.

The court heard his actions came about because of his frustration at not being able to see his son.

“He accepts he shouted something across the street but it was from distance,” said Mr Parker.

Man caused nuisance

A 29-YEAR-OLD man who was moved on by police was arrested when they had cause to speak to him again minutes later.

Blackburn magistrates heard on the first occasion James Andrew French had been causing trouble at a private address but was eventually arrested outside the Grey Horse on Whalley Road, Accrington, where he was being aggressive towards people on the pavement.

French, of High Street, Rishton, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was given a conditional discharge for six months and ordered to pay a statutory £20 victim surcharge.

Thief was short of cash, claim

A WOMAN went on a shoplifting spree after becoming depressed by post-Christmas money shortages.

Blackburn magistrates heard Karis Poynton stole fragrances worth £152 from Boots which she sold.

The next day she committed three more offences, stealing items she intended to keep for herself.

Poynton, 25, of Hamer Avenue, Blackburn, pleaded guilty to stealing from Boots, Toys R Us, Primark and Wilko. She was fined £160 and ordered to pay £152 compensation and £30 victim surcharge.

Ben Leech, defending, said his client regretted her appearance in court.

“Since the birth of her child three years ago she has kept herself out of trouble and changed her life significantly. “She suffers from depression and anxiety,” said Mr Leech.

Man pleads guilty to dangerous driving

A DRIVER pulled out to overtake another vehicle and forced a police car to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

Blackburn magistrates heard Jack William Gaskill, 22, then accelerated away from the scene with the police officer turning around and giving chase.

The court was told the pursuit was short-lived as Gaskill, who was double the drink drive limit, crashed into parked cars.

Gaskill, of Aspen Fold, Oswaldtwistle, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and driving with excess alcohol. He was committed on bail to Burnley Crown Court to be sentenced on April 23. 

The magistrates imposed an interim disqualification.

Andy Robinson, prosecuting, said the officer was driving along Union Road in Oswaldtwistle at 3.22am when he saw Gaskill driving close to the car in front. 

“He then pulled out to overtake. 

“The officer had to take evasive action to avoid a head-on collision before turning around and giving chase,” said Mr Robinson. 

“The officer was two or three hundred metres behind when the defendant approached the mini-roundabout outside the Black Dog. 

“As he approached the officer saw a large pall of smoke, the defendant’s car was in the middle of the road facing the wrong way and it was clear he had crashed into parked cars.”

Man flipped when van cash was spent up

A 35-YEAR-OLD man threw a chair at his partner in a row which started because she had spent the money intended to pay the insurance for his work van.

Blackburn magistrates heard Nicholas George McGregor, a self-employed roofer, had to take a week off work as a result of his van not being insured.

McGregor, of Slaidburn Drive, Accrington, pleaded guilty to assault. He was fined £200 and ordered to pay £100 compensation, £85 costs and £30 victim surcharge.

Enza Geldard, prosecuting, said McGregor had gone to the bank with his partner’s card which she allowed him to use because he did not have his own account.

“He came back in a bad mood and during a row picked up a chair with metal legs and threw it at her,” said Mrs Geldard. “She put her hands up to protect herself and this resulted in bruising and a small cut to her arm.”

Paul Huxley, defending, said his client denied throwing the chair but accepted sliding it across the room and causing the injuries. “He didn’t have a bank account,” said Mr Huxley.

“The money he had paid into her account to pay the insurance for his van had been spent on something else. He wanted to know where the money had gone and this was what caused the argument.”