A FATHER-OF-TWO lost control of his car and died after crashing into a wall, an inquest heard.

Michal Kayser, 33, had been driving his Nissan Almera when it ploughed into a stone wall at the junction of Blackburn Road, Haslingden.

He had been travelling from Accrington towards Rawtenstall when the crash happened at 6.30am on Sunday, July 23.

After suffering serious head and spinal injuries, Mr Kayser never recovered from his injuries and died at Royal Preston Hospital on Friday, July 28.

Born in Poland, Mr Kayser worked as a labourer and lived in King Street, Haslingden.

The inquest at Preston Coroner’s Court heard Mr Kayser had been twice over the drink-drive limit during the incident.

Dr Mark Pitt, who conducted a post-mortem examination into Mr Kayser’s death, said: “Mr Kayser had a history of depression

“He had been driving his car in Blackburn Road, Haslingden when he lost control and it crashed against a wall.

“A post-mortem showed he died of bronchopneumonia due to severe head injuries.

“He had 163mg of alcohol per decilitre when the legal limit is 80, so he was two times over the legal limit.”

PC John Birch, of Lancashire constabulary, who investigated the circumstances of the collision, said: “It was discovered that the handbrake in Mr Kayser’s car had been applied right to the top, which is unusual.

“There was no evidence of another passenger in the car, so the evidence suggested the handbrake had been put on while he was in the car.

“This happened prior to Mr Kayser reaching the junction and it caused the car to slide and rotate anti-clockwise, causing him to lose control and crash into the wall.

“There were no defects to the car.

“Tyre marks were discovered at the scene and Mr Kayser was driving at a speed of 30 to 40mph.”

Tributes paid to father-of-two Michal Kayser from Haslingden who died day before he was due to start new life with his family in Germany

The inquest also heard how Mr Kayser had been out drinking with a friend at Voodoo nightclub in Accrington until around 3am on July 23.

His friend left the club at this time, with Mr Kayser saying he would stay longer.

The next his friend heard of him was when he discovered he had been involved in a car crash.

Coroner James Newman said: “Mr Kayser died of bronchopneumonia due to immobility following the severe head injuries he sustained from the crash.

“I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to his family.”