A WARNING has been issued by firefighters after a chimney fire.

A fire crew from Clitheroe dealt with a blaze in the chimney of a house in Townend in Slaidburn just after 6.30pm today (Saturday).

Firefighters used chimney rods to dislodge burning soot and extinguished the fire.

There were no casualties.

A spokesman for Lancashire fire service said: "Chimney fires have been increasing over recent years as has the popularity of the multi-fuel fire.

"Whether you have had an open fire for years there are steps you can take.

"Make sure that you have at least one working smoking alarm in your property.

"Clean your chimney regularly and always use a fire guard."

Fire crews also advised residents not to burn rubbish and to use a fire guard.