A PARKED car caught fire on the owner's drive.

Fire crews were called to reports of a fire involving a metallic green Vauxhall Corsa on Pasturelands Drive, Billington at around 10pm last night.

Neighbours alerted the fire service after the owner's parked vehicle caught fire on his drive because of an electrical fault under the car's bonnet, fire crews said.

The owner, a man in his 20s, used a garden hose pipe and brought the fire under control prior to the arrival of the fire service, a fire spokesman said.

A fire spokesman added: "The fire caused damage to the battery, wiring under the bonnet, the windscreen and dashboard.

"No one was injured and the investigation has closed."