A WOMAN in her 80s was taken to hospital with a head injury after she was hit by a car.

Emergency services were called at around 11.30am yesterday (Monday) to reports a pedestrian had been injured in Vivary Way, Colne.

Police attended to find the woman with a head injury after it was believed she was hit by a red Nissan Qashqai.

The woman was taken to hospital.

The driver of the Nissan, a man in his 70s, was not injured.

Police are appealing for information following the incident.

Sergeant Claire Pearson said: “We want witnesses to come forward following a serious road traffic collision in Colne.

“We want to speak to anyone who saw what happened or has dashboard mounted camera footage of the incident."

A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We were called to reports of an RTA in Vivary Way, Colne.

“We sent an ambulance which took a woman in her 80s to Airdale General Hospital.”

Cllr Joe Cooney, who represents the area on Pendle Council, said the road was ‘one of the busiest in Colne'.

He said: “There is always a lot of traffic on the road and it’s one of the busiest in Colne.

“Speeding isn’t really an issue during the day, but motorists do tend to put their foot down at night when there are less cars and it’s a straight road.

“It’s a very busy road and unfortunately an elderly lady has been hit by the car and I’m shocked by what’s happened.

“The road is one of the biggest issues we get raised from residents in the ward.

“There is a speed camera on one side of the road going away from Colne but not in the other direction.”

Cllr Nathan Thomas McCollum, who also represents the ward on Pendle Council said the road is ‘dangerous’ and called for speed cameras to be installed.

He said: “Myself and Cllr Joe Cooney have been calling for action a while.

“I’ve lived on the estate for 19 years and it’s been a problem all that time.

“It is a dangerous road and there have been a number of accidents and we’d like to see more speed cameras installed to address the problems on the road.”

Anyone with information should contact police on 101.