A FAMILY has been taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning following a suspected gas leak at their Blackburn home.

A fire service spokesman said three children and one adult were taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital following the incident involving a faulty boiler at a house in Albany Road, Blackburn.

The family had fallen asleep because of the effects of the gas and were only woken up because of a carbon monoxide alarm.

Firefighters have now issued a safety warning as a result of the incident, which happened at 4pm today.

Blackburn Fire Station watch manager Damian Hartley said: "The fire service attended a call to a carbon monoxide alarm resulting in one adult and three children being taken to hospital due to a faulty boiler.

"The fire service used a gas monitor to find the source. The occupants all felt sick, had symptoms of dizziness and had fallen asleep. If they did not have an alarm to wake them the consequences could have been far more severe.

"Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas, but, being colourless, odourless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating, it is very difficult for people to detect therefore a carbon detector is highly recommended by the fire service. Also ensure your gas appliances are serviced regularly by a gas safe qualified person."