A SCHOOLBOY suffered a ‘significant injury’ after a firework blew up in his hand.

The Blackburn Central High School student was hurt on Wednesday after school, according to headteacher Diane Atkinson.

The 15-year-old was taken to Royal Preston Hospital and had an operation on his finger on Friday.

It is understood the firework blew up in his hand while the teenager was walking home from the Haslingden Road school.

A statement from Mrs Atkinson said: “You may have heard the news that a member of our school community was injured in a firework incident after school on Wednesday.

“I would like to reassure all parents that I am working with both the police and the fire service to fully investigate and keeping all of our community safe is of the utmost importance.”

Shanaz Hussain, deputy headteacher, said she had spoken to the boy’s mum who said he was due to be seen by the surgeon again on Monday.

She praised the response of emergency services who were at the scene within seconds.

She said: “As well as the ambulance crew who initially treated the student the fire service and police have been incredibly supportive.

“They have attended special assemblies to explain to our students the dangers of fireworks if not handled properly.

“They emphasised the law relating to fireworks and particularly the legal age for buying them is 18-years-old.

“The young man who suffered the injuries is still in hospital and we will support him in his rehabilitation and prepare him for his GCSE examinations in summer.”

Last year a 10-year-old boy nearly lost his eye after he was hit by a firework during a bonfire night event in The Railway Club in Burnley.

Tyler Norris-Sayers had to have surgery to remove debris from his eye.

Five months later it was still unknown whether the Whittlefield Primary School pupil would get his vision back in his eye.

Figures show more than 550 children under 16 are taken to A&E in the four weeks surrounding bonfire night with many more boys, especially aged 12 to 15, injured than girls.

Every year more than half of fireworks injuries are suffered by children.

The school has issued advice to parents and pupils after the incident.

Fireworks should always be brought from a reputable shop and conform to British Standards.

A spokesman said: “Whatever you do, don’t buy fireworks from anywhere you’re not sure about, such as the back of a van or from a temporary, unlicensed market stall, or a pop-up shop.”

Other advice issued included always taking children to an organised bonfire event.

If holding your own event, ensure youngsters are supervised and if someone is burnt or otherwise injured by a firework cool any burns immediately with cold water and keep it under the running water for at least 10 minutes.

For advice from a doctor, visit A&E department or call the NHS 111 line. In an emergency call 999.