A BUILDING has been 'devastated' after gas cylinders caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the outbuilding at a farm in Saccary Lane, Mellor, at 9am this morning.

A fire service spokesman said faulty cylinder regulators caused the building to be badly damaged.

The roof was destroyed as well as part of one of the walls.

Several tables, pots and other pieces of equipment were also badly damaged.

The fire service spokesman said: "The cylinders did not explode, the way they are made they produce a flame at the top of the cylinder, almost like a blow torch, which then set fire to the building.

"Thankfully no one, or any animals, suffered any injuries during the fire.

"We were there for around two hours as we had to let the cylinders burn out a bit before we could safely extinguish the fire."