A 14-YEAR-OLD girl took a fatal overdose of prescription and over-the-counter medication two years after being sexually assaulted, an inquest heard.

Megan Hoyle sent a text message to a friend before she took her own life saying she was 'sorry she was not strong enough' but the assault had ruined her 'body, mind and soul'.

East Lancashire coroner Michael Singleton heard the St Bede's High School pupil died at Sheffield Children's Hospital on February 24 four days after she overdosed at her home in Hurstwood Avenue, Blackburn.

Her organs were donated, which helped save the lives of four others, the inquest heard.


Giving evidence, Megan's mum Wendy Charnley told the inquest at Blackburn Enterprise Centre, her daughter had been a happy little girl, full of life and very bubbly but became withdrawn, angry and started to struggle at school after the assault when she was 12.

On the day of the overdose Mrs Charnley received a text message from Megan's dad Lee Hoyle.

She said: "He said he had received a text message and to get home and check on her because there might be something wrong.

"I found her in the front room."

The inquest heard there were a number of packets of tablets around her which had been prescribed to her mum.

Megan was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital and then to Sheffield Children's Hospital but never regained consciousness and the decision was taken to switch off her life support machine.

The inquest also heard from friend Christopher Cozens who had spent time with Megan the night before she was found.

Referring to a statement Mr Cozens had made earlier, Mr Singleton said he had described Megan as 'not doing well'.

In his statement Mr Cozens said: "She intimated she was going to take her own life.

"She did not specifically say how she was going to do it but made comments about making all the problems go away. I got angry with her and made her promise she would not do anything stupid."

The inquest heard there were a number of contacts between them on Monday, February 20, including a call, which lasted nearly 15 minutes, in which Mr Cozens described hearing her crying and a sound like that 'of pills being pushed through foil'.

Half an hour later he received a text message.

In it Megan said: "If you get his message it is too late and I am sorry. I am sorry I have broken my promise. I am sorry I'm not strong enough. I promise I will be better in another life, be happy, be braver.

"I'm sorry I let you down when you were scared and I was broken.

"I was strong once. I was internally beautiful but that girl died at 12-years-old when he ruined my body, my mind and my soul.

"Love you more than life itself. I was so lucky to have you. You had demons and so did I but there was happiness once."

The inquest heard a boy under the age of 17 was convicted at crown court in connection with the sexual assault on Megan.

Recording a verdict of suicide, Mr Singleton said Megan had taken a 'large quantity of tablets with the intention of bringing about her own demise'.

He said: "The note left by Megan touched me deeply.

"She was clearly a very intelligent and highly articulated girl.

"That the family could have the strength to consider the organ donation is awe-inspiring.

"To give life to four other people is amazing."

The family has organised a fun day in memory of Megan.

It will be held at the Greenfield Community Centre in Green Lane, Blackburn on Saturday, July 15 between 1pm and 3pm with all money raised going to Sheffield Children's Hospital.

* If you have been affected by this story you can contact the Samaritans for help and advice. The charity is free to call at any time on 116 123 (the number is free to call and will not appear on your phone bill), email jo@samaritans.org, or visit www.samaritans.org to find details of your nearest branch.