A MUM said she was ‘horrified’ to discover a dark brown bug in her daughter’s KFC meal.

Crystal Atkinson-Taylor, 28, said her eldest daughter, Jessica, eight, could not eat for a whole day after she spotted the insect in her Original Recipe Chicken Burrito.

The Card Factory supervisor had visited Accrington’s Hyndburn Road KFC as a treat for Jessica and her sister Abigail.

But after she had plated up the takeaway at their home in Somerset Grove, Church the youngster opened up her wrap to remove some of the contents and discovered the unwelcome visitor.

The national fast food chain apologised to the family but said incidents such as this were ‘rare’. It blamed using fresh products grown in the ‘great outdoors’.

Environmental health officers from Hyndburn Council have promised to visit the restaurant.

Ms Taylor said: “I could not believe it, it was absolutely disgusting.

“We all spat our food out in shock after we saw the horrible insect inside.

“I immediately took it back to the KFC and complained to the manager. She looked just as horrified as I did and took the food off me and give me a refund.

“It’s completely disgusting that an insect can make its way into your food like that.

“They’re supposed to be hand made so someone must have noticed it.

“Jessica and my other daughter Abigail, who is seven, couldn’t eat food for almost a day as they were scared it would happen again.

“Jessica said she won’t eat lettuce ever again.

“It makes me feel sick and angry every time I think about it too.”

After complaining the mum-of-two was given a full refund for her order, which included other meals and cost around £15.

She said: “I have eaten those wraps dozens of times.

“It’s definitely put me off KFC for life.

“I will never be going there or give it to my children.”

Cllr Mohammad Ayub, who represents Central Ward, said: “Hygiene regulations should be much tougher at this restaurant because this is a very bad health hazard.

“I am quite surprised that this has happened as I have heard it’s quite a good restaurant, the car park is always full and lots of people go inside.

“People don’t want to have to worry that their food could contain insects or anything that should not be there.”

A KFC spokesman said: “It’s very rare, but this does happen from time-to-time when working with fresh, natural produce grown in the great outdoors.

“It’s not nice and we’re sorry it happened, but as shown by our team members at this restaurant we’ll always put things right if a customer lets us know there is a problem.”

A Hyndburn Council spokesman said: “Although the actual food sample in question has not been handed to Environmental Health officers, they are aware of the issue.

“They will visit the restaurant to look into the matter.”