FIRE bosses said a couple were ‘lucky to be alive’ after a chimney fire at their home in Rossendale.

The pair fled their home in Stone Pits, off Plunge Road, Edenfield, after a blaze at 9.30am on Friday.

Steve Morley, crew manager at Rawtenstall fire station, said it was fortunate that no-one needed to be taken to hospital after the incident.

The blaze caused significant damage to the chimney stack and smoke damage to the room.

Mr Morley said: “There was a fire in the flue of the chimney breast. The couple living there were upstairs at the time and smelledt the smoke.

“They got out OK and the man tried to put the fire out himself. They are going to have lots of cleaning up to do and obviously the chimney is damaged.

“There was no smoke detection in the house and, to be honest, they are quite lucky to be alive. If this had happened a few hours earlier or later, while they were asleep, they might not have known.

“This couple managed to get themselves out and didn’t even require treatment for smoke inhalation, so they are fortunate.

“From a fire safety point of view, we would ask people to ensure they have smoke detectors in their property.”

One crew from Rawtenstall and one from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service’s nearby Ramsbottom station attended the scene to make the house safe.

Mr Morley added: “Crews used an aqua pack and a hearth kit to bring the fire under control.

“With chimneys, it is especially important that they meet safety regulations, which wasn’t the case in this instance.

“It is vital that homes have smoke detectors of some sort and, if you do, it is even more vital to ensure that they are working.

“Smoke alarms save lives, You are more than twice as likely to die in a fire at home if you haven’t got one. A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you and your family precious time to escape.”

For a free Home Fire Safety Check, advice and smoke alarm test or replacement, call 0800 1691125.