THREE fire engines were called to Babar Elephant restaurant in Fence after an electrical unit in the cellar over heated and caught fire.

Crews from Nelson fire station and Burnley fire station arrived at the restaurant in Cuckstool Lane at 6.30am and spent around an hour tackling the small blaze.

Only one person was in the building at the time of the fire and he left the premises after being alerted by a smoke alarm.

Crew Manager Barker from Nelson fire station said: “The alarm system worked admirably so no one was hurt and there was hardly any damage to the property apart from the electrical unit being destroyed.”