FIREFIGHTERS have urged people to take extra care while cooking over the festive season after a man was left needing hospital treatment in Ramsbottom.

Crews from the town’s fire station were called to a home in Fir Street, just after 6am on Saturday, to a kitchen blaze.

Unattended food had caught light in a microwave oven and the 50-year-old householder burnt his hand.

Firefighters used a high-pressure fan to clear smoke inside the property and a specially-trained trauma technician treated the man’s injury.

He was later taken to hospital for treatment but later discharged.

Coun David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire Authority, said: “Our crews and community safety staff regularly visit homes, schools and sheltered housing schemes to advise people on how to cook safely and protect themselves.

“But unfortunately some people still get distracted and leave their cooking unattended.”