STEVE Kindon scored a brilliant goal to give Burnley the lead after 37 minute after Bristol Rovers in the Eastville sunshine.

But the home side drew level 60 second before the interval with a header from veteran striker Bobby Gould, which slipped under the body of Burnley goalkeeper Alan Stevenson.

Kindon's well-taken goal followed a splendid run down the middle of the field by Terry Cochrane and Kindon finished from a difficult agnle on the left of goal which went in off the inside of the far post.

Stevenson made a series of outstanding saves but he looked at fault with the equaliser and possibly could have been in some difficulty with a strong run directly in his line of vision.

There was some bad temper around and Bristol's Graham Day was booked in the first half for a bad foul on Kingdon.

In spring-line conditions, with the sun shining brightly, Burnley made one change, bringing back Paul Fletcher after a knee injury in the pace of Malcolm Smith, who was substitute.

Burnley, in their all-yellow strip, were on top in the opening stages and might easily have snatched an early lead.

After only two minutes, Thomson tackled Randall and his long pass down the middle gave Fletcher a good opening.

The centre-forward's first shot came back off the goalkeeper Thomas and Fletcher had a second scoring opportunity from the rebound but fired wide.

A couple of minutes later, good running by Noble down the fright from Scott's throw-in created further problems for Bristol.

The home defence got in a real tangle and finally Fletcher off balance send a shot which Thomas was glad to catch.

Rodaway and Noble were well-placed to clear successive attacks as Bristol stepped up the pressure.

Then Barry, moving down the left, floated over a useful centre which Randall met with a header which flew wide of the target.

Brennan hoisted over the free-kick but as Fletcher and Noble moved in, goalkeeper Thomas advanced 12 yards off his line to make a clean catch.

It was very tense, tight stuff with still nothing to choose between the teams.

Bristol set up another attack on the left which ended with Scott kicking away to concede the first corner of the game.

When Barry lifted it over from the left, Stevenson punched away and Cochrane gained possession about 15 yards outside the Burnley penalty area.

He made a tremendous run down the middle of the field in a counter-attack which caught the home side wide open in defence.

KINGDON, running quickly down the left flank, took Cochrane's pass and scored with a shot from a difficult angle which goalkeeper Thomas could only deflect against the inside of the far post before the ball bounced back over the line to give the Clarets the lead after 37 minutes.

Bristol hit back strongly with Powell the architect crossing for GOULD to get a firm header which rolled over the line.

Play swung from end to end in the second half and Burnley were unfortunate not to go ahead when Fletcher headed against the bar from Kingdon's cross.

Stevenson saved Burnley against by turning away with his leg a powerful drive from 18 yards by Gould who saw an opening and hit his shot hard.

Burnley went ahead after 83 minutes. Again Cochrane provided the pass for KINGDON to score his second of the match.

Bristol equalised with seconds later, centre-half Taylor headed just inside the post from Barry's cross and there was no time left after the goal for the restart of the game.


BRISTOL ROVERS: Thomas, Aitken, Day, Taylor, Bater, Pulis, Prince, Barry, Gould, Powell and Randall.

BURNLEY: Stevenson, Scott, Thomson, Rodaway, Brennan, Noble, Ingham, Cochrane, Fletcher, Kingdon, Morley