Motorists have faced difficult driving conditions as snow blanketed parts of the country.

Around seven inches of snow fell in Aviemore in the Highlands overnight on Monday into Tuesday as an Arctic weather front bore down on the UK. The Met Office issued severe weather warnings for all of Scotland, as well as parts of northern England, Yorkshire and Humber, and the East Midlands.

There were a number of minor collisions and reports of cars sliding off the road in Tayside and Fife where some vehicles also became stuck in the snow in the Largoward and St Monans area. Roads were closed in some areas due to the weather.

Scotland's central belt was also hit by the wintry weather, which will gradually creep into northern England, parts of Wales and the Midlands in the coming 24 hours.

Aisling Creevy, a forecaster with MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said on Tuesday: "A slow-moving Arctic front has brought a wintry mix of weather to parts of Scotland overnight with snow, sleet and rain in northern and central areas.

"Snow and rain showers will continue in Scotland throughout the day and move into northern England before reaching the Midlands tomorrow morning. Tomorrow the UK will be noticeably colder and feeling quite raw and we could get widespread lows of around minus 5C in Scotland overnight."

Five people, including two young children, were taken to hospital after being involved in a two-car collision on the A9 at Skiach, Evanton in the Highlands. A woman, who was a passenger in one of the vehicles, had to be airlifted to hospital with serious injuries.

Northern Constabulary say they do not know if the crash was caused by the bad weather.

The wintry weather has also cut off power supplies in some parts of the country. On Tuesday morning 11,000 Scottish Hydro customers were left without power.

Tayside was the worst hit, with 6,000 customers cut off, while 3,000 were without power in the north east and 3,000 in the Highlands. Scottish Hydro said engineers are working to fix the power cuts but by 1.15pm just over 6,000 people were still without a supply.