Lindsay Lohan has been charged with crimes in New York and Los Angeles, marking her latest setbacks as she tries to revive her career and avoid a return to jail.
Prosecutors in Santa Monica charged the star with three misdemeanours related to a June accident. Hours earlier, the actress was arrested and charged with third-degree assault, also a misdemeanour, after a woman was punched in a New York City nightclub.
The California charges came about six months after Lindsay's Porsche crashed into the back of a dump truck. She told police her assistant was driving, but detectives now believe the actress was behind the wheel as she headed to a movie set.
In that case, the 26-year-old, was charged with lying to police, reckless driving and obstructing a police officer from performing duties.
Lindsay's California attorney, Shawn Holley, said she could not comment on the crash-related charges. In New York, her attorney Mark Heller said he expects the assault charge to be dismissed.
"Once again, Lindsay Lohan is a victim of someone trying to capture their 15 minutes of fame," Heller wrote in a statement. "From my initial investigation, I am completely confident that this case will be concluded favourably and that Lindsay will be totally exonerated."
The California charges could trigger another probation violation for Lindsay, who was ordered to stay out of trouble when she was released from supervised probation in March after being convicted of the misdemeanour theft of a necklace and two DUI charges.
Since then she has been arrested twice in New York, crashed her car on the Pacific Coast Highway, been treated by paramedics in her hotel room, and got in an argument with her mother that prompted an emergency services call.
Lately, Lindsay has been filming two movies and doing a cameo in the latest instalment of the Scary Movie franchise. The first film, Liz & Dick, premiered on Sunday on US TV to mostly negative reviews.