Burnley sign Irish defender Ward

Stephen Ward

Stephen Ward

First published in News
Last updated

BURNLEY have made Stephen Ward their seventh summer signing.

The defender was expected to join Brighton after spending all last season on loan at the Amex from Wolves.

But he failed to attend a medical with the Seagulls that was planned for yesterday, after Burnley bettered Brighton's offer.

Ward has tonight signed a three-year deal at Turf Moor.

“I’m absolutely thrilled, I’ve had eight years at Wolves now and I was on loan at Brighton last year but to start a new chapter in my career is great," said Ward.

“I don’t think I could have picked a better place than Turf Moor and obviously to come to the Premier League is a massive pull as well."

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:11pm Fri 15 Aug 14

TurfMoor Tom says...

Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising. TurfMoor Tom
  • Score: 6

10:14pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Bellypork says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
What a load of s**t, he's come from Wolves, got run ragged in league one but you need more bodies and quick so get what u can I suppose.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]What a load of s**t, he's come from Wolves, got run ragged in league one but you need more bodies and quick so get what u can I suppose. Bellypork
  • Score: -13

10:26pm Fri 15 Aug 14

TurfMoorTom says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
The signs are desperation. Out from under the noses of the mighty Brighton and at this age will be no use during your sad demise back to the squalor.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]The signs are desperation. Out from under the noses of the mighty Brighton and at this age will be no use during your sad demise back to the squalor. TurfMoorTom
  • Score: -10

10:36pm Fri 15 Aug 14

TurfMoor Tom says...

TurfMoorTom wrote:
TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
The signs are desperation. Out from under the noses of the mighty Brighton and at this age will be no use during your sad demise back to the squalor.
A tad harsh that I'd say, after all we could have done with a defender of Ward's ability in our team on Tuesday when we were embarrassingly humbled by League One Scunthorpe. Got to hand it to Dyche he only brings in players who fit the group mentality. No ego's at Burnley, and I think it will serve them well.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]The signs are desperation. Out from under the noses of the mighty Brighton and at this age will be no use during your sad demise back to the squalor.[/p][/quote]A tad harsh that I'd say, after all we could have done with a defender of Ward's ability in our team on Tuesday when we were embarrassingly humbled by League One Scunthorpe. Got to hand it to Dyche he only brings in players who fit the group mentality. No ego's at Burnley, and I think it will serve them well. TurfMoor Tom
  • Score: 11

10:46pm Fri 15 Aug 14

slopes says...

jeez i'd better up my bet for Monday .on a bigger score.Now is the time to bet like men against Burnley and make money every game.
jeez i'd better up my bet for Monday .on a bigger score.Now is the time to bet like men against Burnley and make money every game. slopes
  • Score: -9

11:06pm Fri 15 Aug 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
Dyche out Pulis in, if this sh1t player from div 1 is the level of his pulling power.
Underwhelmed again, although dyche was true to his word leaving it until the last minute to see what sh1t was left floating
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]Dyche out Pulis in, if this sh1t player from div 1 is the level of his pulling power. Underwhelmed again, although dyche was true to his word leaving it until the last minute to see what sh1t was left floating AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: -12

11:14pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Raymond Ban says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
Dyche out Pulis in, if this sh1t player from div 1 is the level of his pulling power.
Underwhelmed again, although dyche was true to his word leaving it until the last minute to see what sh1t was left floating
Think you're being a bit harsh on your manager with this one pal. My mate reckons Ward can run quite fast and tries his best most of time.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]Dyche out Pulis in, if this sh1t player from div 1 is the level of his pulling power. Underwhelmed again, although dyche was true to his word leaving it until the last minute to see what sh1t was left floating[/p][/quote]Think you're being a bit harsh on your manager with this one pal. My mate reckons Ward can run quite fast and tries his best most of time. Raymond Ban
  • Score: 3

11:23pm Fri 15 Aug 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

Raymond Ban wrote:
AnotherPounding4Burn

ley
wrote:
TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
Dyche out Pulis in, if this sh1t player from div 1 is the level of his pulling power.
Underwhelmed again, although dyche was true to his word leaving it until the last minute to see what sh1t was left floating
Think you're being a bit harsh on your manager with this one pal. My mate reckons Ward can run quite fast and tries his best most of time.
Running quite fast comes in handy if you are a div 1 floater, if you play in the premier league it requires more than putting one foot in front of the other, very quickly. Otherwise we would have offered Mo Farah a contract, he's quite quick too.
[quote][p][bold]Raymond Ban[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]Dyche out Pulis in, if this sh1t player from div 1 is the level of his pulling power. Underwhelmed again, although dyche was true to his word leaving it until the last minute to see what sh1t was left floating[/p][/quote]Think you're being a bit harsh on your manager with this one pal. My mate reckons Ward can run quite fast and tries his best most of time.[/p][/quote]Running quite fast comes in handy if you are a div 1 floater, if you play in the premier league it requires more than putting one foot in front of the other, very quickly. Otherwise we would have offered Mo Farah a contract, he's quite quick too. AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: -11

11:54pm Fri 15 Aug 14

TurfMoorTom says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
TurfMoorTom wrote:
TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
The signs are desperation. Out from under the noses of the mighty Brighton and at this age will be no use during your sad demise back to the squalor.
A tad harsh that I'd say, after all we could have done with a defender of Ward's ability in our team on Tuesday when we were embarrassingly humbled by League One Scunthorpe. Got to hand it to Dyche he only brings in players who fit the group mentality. No ego's at Burnley, and I think it will serve them well.
Difficult one to call as he got relegated to League 1 with Wolves so might not have been much help. Still, when your demise picks up speed at least you've got a freefall expert. He couldn't have picked a better club.........
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]The signs are desperation. Out from under the noses of the mighty Brighton and at this age will be no use during your sad demise back to the squalor.[/p][/quote]A tad harsh that I'd say, after all we could have done with a defender of Ward's ability in our team on Tuesday when we were embarrassingly humbled by League One Scunthorpe. Got to hand it to Dyche he only brings in players who fit the group mentality. No ego's at Burnley, and I think it will serve them well.[/p][/quote]Difficult one to call as he got relegated to League 1 with Wolves so might not have been much help. Still, when your demise picks up speed at least you've got a freefall expert. He couldn't have picked a better club......... TurfMoorTom
  • Score: -8

11:54pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Claretcert says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
Too right it does TMT and ignore that clone (TMT no space) who is now so confused he got into a fight with his carer over a photo of said defender printed in the LET (Shadsworth final edition due to high demand) and they bit each other until the police arrived. We need more than cover for Mee and very experienced this chap is. In fact, it made me wonder out loud earlier why - given the duffer at Rovers is just about 3 seasons past his best that fans if that declining club would bet their benefits that we have the weaker team. Strange days. We sign quality they keep crocks to appease their deluded fans.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]Too right it does TMT and ignore that clone (TMT no space) who is now so confused he got into a fight with his carer over a photo of said defender printed in the LET (Shadsworth final edition due to high demand) and they bit each other until the police arrived. We need more than cover for Mee and very experienced this chap is. In fact, it made me wonder out loud earlier why - given the duffer at Rovers is just about 3 seasons past his best that fans if that declining club would bet their benefits that we have the weaker team. Strange days. We sign quality they keep crocks to appease their deluded fans. Claretcert
  • Score: 8

11:55pm Fri 15 Aug 14

u owe u owe says...

Stupid is as stupid posts, when has Ward played in div1? Answer is never,
Stupid is as stupid posts, when has Ward played in div1? Answer is never, u owe u owe
  • Score: 13

12:02am Sat 16 Aug 14

Dorset Blue says...

It looks like the dingles have accepted relegation already and are building for survival in the championship 2015/16...... wolves centre half hehe
......Premiership...
.. you having a laff !!!!
It looks like the dingles have accepted relegation already and are building for survival in the championship 2015/16...... wolves centre half hehe ......Premiership... .. you having a laff !!!! Dorset Blue
  • Score: -10

12:06am Sat 16 Aug 14

Claretcert says...

Bellypork wrote:
TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
What a load of s**t, he's come from Wolves, got run ragged in league one but you need more bodies and quick so get what u can I suppose.
As above you brain dead bedsit dwellin gimp. The clue is printed in the article derr....doh.. .Brighton.. dribble.... der. ... All season. ..er...er....doh. .
[quote][p][bold]Bellypork[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]What a load of s**t, he's come from Wolves, got run ragged in league one but you need more bodies and quick so get what u can I suppose.[/p][/quote]As above you brain dead bedsit dwellin gimp. The clue is printed in the article derr....doh.. .Brighton.. dribble.... der. ... All season. ..er...er....doh. . Claretcert
  • Score: 9

12:13am Sat 16 Aug 14

Claretcert says...

Dorset Blue wrote:
It looks like the dingles have accepted relegation already and are building for survival in the championship 2015/16...... wolves centre half hehe
......Premiership...

.. you having a laff !!!!
With more PL experience than your entire freefall squad - oh no - I forgot the 'veteran' (please release me) keeper and Dunno if I can be arsed today (wage sucker). Yeh - in the good old days. PG Tips. Jumpers for goalposts. Pipe smoke in the pubs and Rovers in the premier league.
[quote][p][bold]Dorset Blue[/bold] wrote: It looks like the dingles have accepted relegation already and are building for survival in the championship 2015/16...... wolves centre half hehe ......Premiership... .. you having a laff !!!![/p][/quote]With more PL experience than your entire freefall squad - oh no - I forgot the 'veteran' (please release me) keeper and Dunno if I can be arsed today (wage sucker). Yeh - in the good old days. PG Tips. Jumpers for goalposts. Pipe smoke in the pubs and Rovers in the premier league. Claretcert
  • Score: 6

12:58am Sat 16 Aug 14

TurfMoor Tom says...

I really wish some of my fellow Rovers fans would cease making fools of themselves. It's time to accept we've got nothing left to sling at the Burnley fans.

They beat us.
They went up.
They kept us down.
They play Chelsea next.
We've got to recover from a humbling defeat to League One Scunthorpe before we visit Blackpool for a must win game.
Our manager has already gone begging the owners for funds less than a week into the season, their manager is strengthening in all areas.

Let's knock it off now, its starting to wear a bit thin. Show some class you morons.
I really wish some of my fellow Rovers fans would cease making fools of themselves. It's time to accept we've got nothing left to sling at the Burnley fans. They beat us. They went up. They kept us down. They play Chelsea next. We've got to recover from a humbling defeat to League One Scunthorpe before we visit Blackpool for a must win game. Our manager has already gone begging the owners for funds less than a week into the season, their manager is strengthening in all areas. Let's knock it off now, its starting to wear a bit thin. Show some class you morons. TurfMoor Tom
  • Score: 10

2:48am Sat 16 Aug 14

jim 2012 says...

TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
Nottingham Forest have put an improved contract extension offer to highly-rated midfielder Henri Lansbury..
looks like this another one that got away
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]Nottingham Forest have put an improved contract extension offer to highly-rated midfielder Henri Lansbury.. looks like this another one that got away jim 2012
  • Score: -10

7:19am Sat 16 Aug 14

milnrow claret says...

Get back under your bridges, no dads, I can taste your tears from here. Your own boards are already full of cries of 'GB out' and I'd put money on it that half of you cry yourself to sleep at night (half the rovers fans profiles on here belong to tmt so it's at least half).

Trying to rage comment on here through misty, blood shot eyes isn't going to do you any good. The good ship BolEwood is listing and taking on water. It survived the hit by the Venkys but FFP's on the horizon streaming towards the hull. They're throwing all the dead weight they can overboard but it's no use.

Once the last of the rats leave the stinking hell hole and the fumigation tent comes down. Burnley will be there to bail out our loving neighbours. The sad part is we're saving more than you're losing atm and, once the Venkys cut and run, I'd love to see that property of Burnley Football Club plaque on your shabby, run down, carcass of a stadium and plastered on the back of those disgusting shirts you wear
Get back under your bridges, no dads, I can taste your tears from here. Your own boards are already full of cries of 'GB out' and I'd put money on it that half of you cry yourself to sleep at night (half the rovers fans profiles on here belong to tmt so it's at least half). Trying to rage comment on here through misty, blood shot eyes isn't going to do you any good. The good ship BolEwood is listing and taking on water. It survived the hit by the Venkys but FFP's on the horizon streaming towards the hull. They're throwing all the dead weight they can overboard but it's no use. Once the last of the rats leave the stinking hell hole and the fumigation tent comes down. Burnley will be there to bail out our loving neighbours. The sad part is we're saving more than you're losing atm and, once the Venkys cut and run, I'd love to see that property of Burnley Football Club plaque on your shabby, run down, carcass of a stadium and plastered on the back of those disgusting shirts you wear milnrow claret
  • Score: 7

8:06am Sat 16 Aug 14

Bellypork says...

Claretcert wrote:
Bellypork wrote:
TurfMoor Tom wrote:
Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.
What a load of s**t, he's come from Wolves, got run ragged in league one but you need more bodies and quick so get what u can I suppose.
As above you brain dead bedsit dwellin gimp. The clue is printed in the article derr....doh.. .Brighton.. dribble.... der. ... All season. ..er...er....doh. .
Knob head, biting again you tit.
[quote][p][bold]Claretcert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bellypork[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TurfMoor Tom[/bold] wrote: Looks like another piece of the jigsaw is now in place for you lot. Decent addition with international pedigree too. The signs are promising.[/p][/quote]What a load of s**t, he's come from Wolves, got run ragged in league one but you need more bodies and quick so get what u can I suppose.[/p][/quote]As above you brain dead bedsit dwellin gimp. The clue is printed in the article derr....doh.. .Brighton.. dribble.... der. ... All season. ..er...er....doh. .[/p][/quote]Knob head, biting again you tit. Bellypork
  • Score: -7

8:35am Sat 16 Aug 14

Venkys HaHa says...

Good signing and gives us more options. It must be so dull down at deadwood.
Good signing and gives us more options. It must be so dull down at deadwood. Venkys HaHa
  • Score: 6

10:22am Sat 16 Aug 14

Bellypork says...

Venkys HaHa wrote:
Good signing and gives us more options. It must be so dull down at deadwood.
I'll say no more until 10pm Monday when u get thumped by Chelsea. Let's see how many Turf Moor tits comment then...........!
[quote][p][bold]Venkys HaHa[/bold] wrote: Good signing and gives us more options. It must be so dull down at deadwood.[/p][/quote]I'll say no more until 10pm Monday when u get thumped by Chelsea. Let's see how many Turf Moor tits comment then...........! Bellypork
  • Score: -4

10:37am Sat 16 Aug 14

milnrow claret says...

Aye, it would be terrible to be beaten by the lowly Chelsea. It's not even like we're playing the mighty Scunthorpe and can put it down to the sheer disparity in budgets... You clown
Aye, it would be terrible to be beaten by the lowly Chelsea. It's not even like we're playing the mighty Scunthorpe and can put it down to the sheer disparity in budgets... You clown milnrow claret
  • Score: 5

10:39am Sat 16 Aug 14

Dorset Blue says...

Come on you BLUES !!!
Come on you BLUES !!! Dorset Blue
  • Score: -3

10:40am Sat 16 Aug 14

tall in the saddle says...

Claretcert wrote:
Dorset Blue wrote:
It looks like the dingles have accepted relegation already and are building for survival in the championship 2015/16...... wolves centre half hehe
......Premiership...


.. you having a laff !!!!
With more PL experience than your entire freefall squad - oh no - I forgot the 'veteran' (please release me) keeper and Dunno if I can be arsed today (wage sucker). Yeh - in the good old days. PG Tips. Jumpers for goalposts. Pipe smoke in the pubs and Rovers in the premier league.
What about their marquee signing – Reg. The snip of the summer.
Blackburn 1- 2 Burnley
Blackburn 0- 1 Scunthorpe.
We are all still laughing – you’re all still sobbing.
[quote][p][bold]Claretcert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dorset Blue[/bold] wrote: It looks like the dingles have accepted relegation already and are building for survival in the championship 2015/16...... wolves centre half hehe ......Premiership... .. you having a laff !!!![/p][/quote]With more PL experience than your entire freefall squad - oh no - I forgot the 'veteran' (please release me) keeper and Dunno if I can be arsed today (wage sucker). Yeh - in the good old days. PG Tips. Jumpers for goalposts. Pipe smoke in the pubs and Rovers in the premier league.[/p][/quote]What about their marquee signing – Reg. The snip of the summer. Blackburn 1- 2 Burnley Blackburn 0- 1 Scunthorpe. We are all still laughing – you’re all still sobbing. tall in the saddle
  • Score: 6

10:41am Sat 16 Aug 14

tall in the saddle says...

Dorset Blue wrote:
Come on you BLUES !!!
Blackburn 1- 2 Burnley
Blackburn 0 - 1 Scunthorpe
[quote][p][bold]Dorset Blue[/bold] wrote: Come on you BLUES !!![/p][/quote]Blackburn 1- 2 Burnley Blackburn 0 - 1 Scunthorpe tall in the saddle
  • Score: 7

10:44am Sat 16 Aug 14

Its Only a game boy says...

tall in the saddle wrote:
Dorset Blue wrote:
Come on you BLUES !!!
Blackburn 1- 2 Burnley
Blackburn 0 - 1 Scunthorpe
Chicken stock laughing stock chicken stock laughing stock
[quote][p][bold]tall in the saddle[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dorset Blue[/bold] wrote: Come on you BLUES !!![/p][/quote]Blackburn 1- 2 Burnley Blackburn 0 - 1 Scunthorpe[/p][/quote]Chicken stock laughing stock chicken stock laughing stock Its Only a game boy
  • Score: 1

10:47am Sat 16 Aug 14

Bellypork says...

milnrow claret wrote:
Aye, it would be terrible to be beaten by the lowly Chelsea. It's not even like we're playing the mighty Scunthorpe and can put it down to the sheer disparity in budgets... You clown
Monday 10pm.
[quote][p][bold]milnrow claret[/bold] wrote: Aye, it would be terrible to be beaten by the lowly Chelsea. It's not even like we're playing the mighty Scunthorpe and can put it down to the sheer disparity in budgets... You clown[/p][/quote]Monday 10pm. Bellypork
  • Score: -5

11:07am Sat 16 Aug 14

milnrow claret says...

I'll still be at the turf lad. I'll be home at 11 or so but I doubt looking at what the mongs from down the road have to say to be honest
I'll still be at the turf lad. I'll be home at 11 or so but I doubt looking at what the mongs from down the road have to say to be honest milnrow claret
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree