CLARETS boss Sean Dyche is keen to make further additions to his Burnley squad – and could be about to move to Celtic’s big Nigerian Efe Ambrose.
Dyche is keen to add to his Turf Moor squad ahead of the Premier League kick off against Chelsea next month and Ambrose is on the Burnley manager’s radar, while young Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford is another possible target.
However, while keen to boost his ranks, Dyche insists he will not be breaking the bank in order to recruit any more new faces – and says he has not made a new £8m bid for Watford hitman Troy Deeney.
“I might as well quash the one about Troy Deeney,” he said. “Somebody quoted that we’d put an £8 million bid in – absolutely not.
“I don’t know what they think’s happened to Burnley Football Club over the summer but there aren’t too many £8 million pound bids knocking around!
“I don’t mean that in a negative sense, it’s just the reality to it.
“The board know that, I know that and we have to shop accordingly and shop wisely. We’ve done it before and we’ll do it again and look to be competitive every time the whistle blows.
“It’s just the way the market’s played.
“Some clubs do it for their reasons and not for ours. They’ll self link themselves to us, players and agents. It’s just the way it is. We’ve got our eye on three or four actually and we’re hoping that one or two drop in sooner rather than later.”
Ambrose would appear to fit the bill for Burnley and is keen to try his hand in England.
The 25-year-old was part of the Nigeria team that reached the last 16 of the World Cup, enhancing his reputation with some sound displays at the heart of their defence.
Clarets boss, Sean Dyche, has already recruited six new signings this summer but is still keen to add a dominant figure to his rearguard.
Celtic will be reluctant to lose a player that has claimed back-to-back Scottish titles with the Hoops after two impressive seasons at Celtic Park.
Leicester and Crystal Palace were both linked with the defender earlier in the summer but their interest in the 6”3 defender appears to have cooled, leaving the door open for the Clarets.
Dyche chose not to select a number of first team regulars for his team’s first game on home soil since returning from a training camp in Austria as they beat Accrington Stanley 1-0 on Saturday, but the likes of Steven Reid, Michael Kightly and Tom Heaton sitting the game out was merely precautionary.
“They’ve been minor things,” explained Dyche. “They all trained this morning but weren’t quite ready for the game. Even in these pre-season games players still want to do well and there’s still that little tinge of excitement and anxiousness before they play. That can put a higher stress level on the body so we just wanted to make sure with those players.
“Accrington have had a couple of games already and we’re a bit behind that curve. It’s not really physical fitness because our boys are very fit, it’s more that mental fitness and sharpness and that game ready kind of feeling.”
A solitary goal from youngster Jason Gilchrist handed the Clarets victory and with the Premier League season three weeks away Dyche was happy with the run out for his players.
“It was a great crowd, three and a half thousand, and that gives you a real feeling of a real football match. That was a real positive for us,” he concluded.
“This is exactly what we wanted. A good atmosphere, a local game and good for the fans and good for the players. More fans bring that edge to the game. I thought it was a good competitive game played in the right manner which we dominated at times.
“It gives the players more of a game ready feeling and they look in good shape. I’m pleased for James and his lads because they’ll be looking to do well this year as they did last year.”