Boss Dyche hails Burnley’s rock solid defensive duo

Jason Shackell has starred this season

Jason Shackell has starred this season

First published in News by , Features Writer

SEAN Dyche has heaped special praise on Turf Moor kingpins Michael Duff and Jason Shackell as the Clarets continue to plot a steady course for a Premier League return this season.

Captain fantastic Shackell and defensive partner Duff have kept the Championship at bay this term, with only pre-season title favourites Queens Park Rangers having leaked fewer than goal misers Burnley.

The Clarets stretched their unbeaten record to nine games in last weekend’s hard fought 1-1 draw at Bournemouth.

Duff and Shackell, though, have provided the foundation stone for Burnley’s unbeaten start to 2014 and while Dyche admitted his side were well below par on the South Coast, they returned north with a precious point that could prove invaluable in the final reckoning.

The Burnley boss said: “The centre halves were fantastic at Bournemouth – they have proved it consistently this season and they’ve been in really good form.

“The framework of the team is there for a reason and they kept Bournemouth’s chances to a minimum – they were absolutely excellent.

“They headed it, they kicked it, and they dealt with anything in the channel and on a very difficult pitch to play on.

“The tough surface, I think, is why we were off it last weekend, not because of the team’s framework or the energy of the side.

“We are really trying to find those pockets of quality to go and play and hurt the opposition.”

The Clarets were given a further boost as 10-man Reading earned a fifth win in seven league games as they dealt a giant setback to Harry Redknapp’s automatic promotion hopes with a 3-1 win at Loftus Road on Sunday.

Now, with Derby County in action at fast improving Sheffield Wednesday tonight and Nottingham Forest hosting top dogs Leicester City at the City Ground tomorrow, the topsy-turvy promotion picture could change again before Billy Davies’ side come to Turf Moor in five days time.

Dyche is expected to return to his old club to run the rule over over Forest, who were surprisingly dumped out of the FA Cup by League One strugglers Sheffield United.

Dyche added: “We are back at home on Saturday and while it was a strange disappointment only to pick up a point in our last match, we came away from Bolton with a win in midweek and that’s two very good away performances.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:36am Tue 18 Feb 14

RobH2O says...

Shackell can go missing in terms of concentration. Duff was never exactly blessed with pace. However, Shackell's concentration is much better than it was and he a very skilled ball winner and distributer. Duff's reading of the game and positional sense is second to none at this level. He can move the ball about accurately too.

All in all the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. They are the best central defensive partnership since Waldron and Thompson in the early/mid 1970's.
Shackell can go missing in terms of concentration. Duff was never exactly blessed with pace. However, Shackell's concentration is much better than it was and he a very skilled ball winner and distributer. Duff's reading of the game and positional sense is second to none at this level. He can move the ball about accurately too. All in all the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. They are the best central defensive partnership since Waldron and Thompson in the early/mid 1970's. RobH2O
  • Score: 12

11:03am Tue 18 Feb 14

BubblePopFC_11K_Fans says...

Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck.
Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world
PMSL
Prepare yourselves for a fall.
Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck. Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world PMSL Prepare yourselves for a fall. BubblePopFC_11K_Fans
  • Score: -15

1:51pm Tue 18 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn says...

BubblePopFC_11K_Fans wrote:
Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck.
Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world
PMSL
Prepare yourselves for a fall.
And looks who's back, it's Mungo No. 1 with it's inimitable brand of lame put downs and jealous rants.

Hey Mungo, since that last time we heard from you we've gone back to second in the league, 4 points clear of 3rd place, while you morons have dropped to 10th and fallen an astronomical 17 points behind your superior neighbours.

Can you enlighten us as to why this is the case?

Honest answer please, why are we STILL so far ahead of you?
[quote][p][bold]BubblePopFC_11K_Fans[/bold] wrote: Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck. Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world PMSL Prepare yourselves for a fall.[/p][/quote]And looks who's back, it's Mungo No. 1 with it's inimitable brand of lame put downs and jealous rants. Hey Mungo, since that last time we heard from you we've gone back to second in the league, 4 points clear of 3rd place, while you morons have dropped to 10th and fallen an astronomical 17 points behind your superior neighbours. Can you enlighten us as to why this is the case? Honest answer please, why are we STILL so far ahead of you? look.up.blackburn
  • Score: 9

4:10pm Tue 18 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn says...

Mungo?
Mungo? look.up.blackburn
  • Score: 2

4:25pm Tue 18 Feb 14

daan says...

look.up.blackburn wrote:
BubblePopFC_11K_Fans wrote:
Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck.
Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world
PMSL
Prepare yourselves for a fall.
And looks who's back, it's Mungo No. 1 with it's inimitable brand of lame put downs and jealous rants.

Hey Mungo, since that last time we heard from you we've gone back to second in the league, 4 points clear of 3rd place, while you morons have dropped to 10th and fallen an astronomical 17 points behind your superior neighbours.

Can you enlighten us as to why this is the case?

Honest answer please, why are we STILL so far ahead of you?
Answer because you currently have more points than us. Why have Burnley not beaten blackburn in 35 years ?
[quote][p][bold]look.up.blackburn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BubblePopFC_11K_Fans[/bold] wrote: Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck. Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world PMSL Prepare yourselves for a fall.[/p][/quote]And looks who's back, it's Mungo No. 1 with it's inimitable brand of lame put downs and jealous rants. Hey Mungo, since that last time we heard from you we've gone back to second in the league, 4 points clear of 3rd place, while you morons have dropped to 10th and fallen an astronomical 17 points behind your superior neighbours. Can you enlighten us as to why this is the case? Honest answer please, why are we STILL so far ahead of you?[/p][/quote]Answer because you currently have more points than us. Why have Burnley not beaten blackburn in 35 years ? daan
  • Score: -5

4:26pm Tue 18 Feb 14

daan says...

daan wrote:
look.up.blackburn wrote:
BubblePopFC_11K_Fans wrote:
Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck.
Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world
PMSL
Prepare yourselves for a fall.
And looks who's back, it's Mungo No. 1 with it's inimitable brand of lame put downs and jealous rants.

Hey Mungo, since that last time we heard from you we've gone back to second in the league, 4 points clear of 3rd place, while you morons have dropped to 10th and fallen an astronomical 17 points behind your superior neighbours.

Can you enlighten us as to why this is the case?

Honest answer please, why are we STILL so far ahead of you?
Answer because you currently have more points than us. Why have Burnley not beaten blackburn in 35 years ?
Honest answer please Shadrach
[quote][p][bold]daan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]look.up.blackburn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BubblePopFC_11K_Fans[/bold] wrote: Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck. Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world PMSL Prepare yourselves for a fall.[/p][/quote]And looks who's back, it's Mungo No. 1 with it's inimitable brand of lame put downs and jealous rants. Hey Mungo, since that last time we heard from you we've gone back to second in the league, 4 points clear of 3rd place, while you morons have dropped to 10th and fallen an astronomical 17 points behind your superior neighbours. Can you enlighten us as to why this is the case? Honest answer please, why are we STILL so far ahead of you?[/p][/quote]Answer because you currently have more points than us. Why have Burnley not beaten blackburn in 35 years ?[/p][/quote]Honest answer please Shadrach daan
  • Score: 0

5:28pm Tue 18 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn says...

daan wrote:
daan wrote:
look.up.blackburn wrote:
BubblePopFC_11K_Fans wrote:
Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck.
Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world
PMSL
Prepare yourselves for a fall.
And looks who's back, it's Mungo No. 1 with it's inimitable brand of lame put downs and jealous rants.

Hey Mungo, since that last time we heard from you we've gone back to second in the league, 4 points clear of 3rd place, while you morons have dropped to 10th and fallen an astronomical 17 points behind your superior neighbours.

Can you enlighten us as to why this is the case?

Honest answer please, why are we STILL so far ahead of you?
Answer because you currently have more points than us. Why have Burnley not beaten blackburn in 35 years ?
Honest answer please Shadrach
Firstly, we haven't played you for 29 of those years Mungo, and in the years that we have played you, you have benefited from a massive financial investment. Hence we have not been playing on a level playing field.

Which adds up to a less than impressive 7 wins over a 35 year period, hardly anything to get so excited about given the £100million cash advantage you had is it? Consider this against Burnley's incredible 10 wins in 14 consecutive league games prior to your massive financial advantage and it looks even more pathetic doesn't it...

Now that you boys haven't got a pot to p!ss in I would say we are approaching a level playing field once more, apart from your spending last season, and as such you are now finding your true level, which as the league table shows is looking up at your superior neighbours from the depths of 10th place. Agreed?

So now that we are, more or less, on a level playing field once again, can you tell us all why are you 17 (SEVENTEEN) points behind us?
[quote][p][bold]daan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]daan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]look.up.blackburn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BubblePopFC_11K_Fans[/bold] wrote: Its a pity no-one bothers to turn up to watch this impending train wreck. Two wins against two teams with the worst form in the league followed by a scabby draw at bournemouth and the wobbly heads are back in Europe. All aboard the tour bus with the cleanest licked windows in the world PMSL Prepare yourselves for a fall.[/p][/quote]And looks who's back, it's Mungo No. 1 with it's inimitable brand of lame put downs and jealous rants. Hey Mungo, since that last time we heard from you we've gone back to second in the league, 4 points clear of 3rd place, while you morons have dropped to 10th and fallen an astronomical 17 points behind your superior neighbours. Can you enlighten us as to why this is the case? Honest answer please, why are we STILL so far ahead of you?[/p][/quote]Answer because you currently have more points than us. Why have Burnley not beaten blackburn in 35 years ?[/p][/quote]Honest answer please Shadrach[/p][/quote]Firstly, we haven't played you for 29 of those years Mungo, and in the years that we have played you, you have benefited from a massive financial investment. Hence we have not been playing on a level playing field. Which adds up to a less than impressive 7 wins over a 35 year period, hardly anything to get so excited about given the £100million cash advantage you had is it? Consider this against Burnley's incredible 10 wins in 14 consecutive league games prior to your massive financial advantage and it looks even more pathetic doesn't it... Now that you boys haven't got a pot to p!ss in I would say we are approaching a level playing field once more, apart from your spending last season, and as such you are now finding your true level, which as the league table shows is looking up at your superior neighbours from the depths of 10th place. Agreed? So now that we are, more or less, on a level playing field once again, can you tell us all why are you 17 (SEVENTEEN) points behind us? look.up.blackburn
  • Score: 5

9:07pm Tue 18 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn. says...

Mungo?
Mungo? look.up.blackburn.
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree