BURNLEY have renewed their interest in Brighton striker Ashley Barnes, with an offer in the region of £750,000.

The Clarets, who celebrated a 3-2 New Year's Day win over Huddersfield Town, tried to sign the 24-year-old in the summer and had up to three bids turned down, the highest believed to be £500,000.

But the club were not prepared to give up on a top target and returned with a significantly improved offer as soon as the transfer window re-opened.

Championship rivals Brighton are keen to keep their squad together, however, and have once more rebuffed Burnley's advances.

But the Clarets are unlikely to give up their quest to secure Barnes without a good fight.

“I prefer to not talk about business until business is done,” said Burnley boss Dyche.

“The feel of the squad is good. You’d like more numbers but not too many. Everyone knows their job and their responsibility within the squad.

“We don’t want to overthink it or change too many bodies, but it’s fair to say we need support.

“We need support in the front department, it’s not rocket science that one.

“We are active and we are trying to attempt to bring people to the club.”

He added: “It’s been an ongoing process for a long time now. We’re not naive, we know we need support for the squad but it has to be within our financial structure.”

Meanwhile, Dyche was delighted to start the new year with a win, and extend the Clarets unbeaten home run in the league to 16 games.

“The amount of good quality play from us and chances created, the amount of counter attacks and quality in that then arguably it should have been more comfortable but all credit to Huddersfield, they didn’t lay down and accept defeat easily, and kept at it,” said the Burnley boss.

“Teams have a right to do that and sometimes when you’re 3-1 up teams have nothing to lose and everything to gain and they were quite gung-ho in the last 20 minutes and threw bodies forward.

“But overall I think we deserved it, there were some real good pockets of football and we looked back to what we’re about.

“We created so many chances and looked nice and solid, other than the first goal (conceded) which is a soft one by us.”

Ben Mee went off in the second half with what looked to be a recurrence of the thigh injury which kept him out of the previous two games.

But Dyche is not anticipating a long-term problem.

“It was more of a tightness so we’re hoping it can settle down quite quickly,” he said.

“It was enough to make him come off the pitch but we’re hopeful it's not serious.”