BURNLEY again needed extra time against League Two opposition to progress in the Carling Cup after once again surrendering a two-goal cushion.

Going in to the second round home tie with Barnet, lessons should have been learnt from the first round against Burton Albion, which the Clarets had led 3-1 going into the last 10 minutes.

They were undone by two goals in seven minutes after making the mistake of thinking the game was won – a trap they fell into again.

Burnley led 2-0 with 17 minutes of the 90 to go thanks to goals from Jay Rodriguez – his fifth in two Carling Cup games – and Wade Elliott with his first of the season.

Steve Kabba pulled a goal back for Lawrie Sanchez’s Bees, who had beaten Portsmouth in the first round, six minutes after coming off the bench.

Even then there looked little to stop Burnley from progressing.

But as the clocked ticked down Dean Marney conceded an unnecessary free kick which Lee Grant could only parry, and Ricky Holmes – another substitute – fired in the equaliser.

Extra time wasn’t entirely the one way traffic that it had been against Burton, but Burnley were dominant enough to see it through after Chris McCann – their third substitute – made it 3-2.

Rodriguez gave the Clarets the goal a poor first half was crying out for in the 38th minute, rising above his marker to meet Kieran Trippier’s deflected cross.

Burnley could easily have found themselves behind though before then though, after failing to turn their early pressure into goals.

Rodriguez had twice gone close before scoring – heading wide under pressure from left back Jordan Parkes then seeing a powerful strike bounce off Dean Brill, after squeezing in between Parkes and Clovis Kamdjo.

Rodriguez’s goal brought relief to a first half which was lacking in tempo and if the opening 45 minutes had the vibe of a training ground exercise, the second half became more of a contest.

The Clarets doubled their advantage soon after. Trippier played the ball inside for Austin, whose backheel picked out Elliott, who finished well.

But if they thought they were home and hosed they were wrong.

Kabba gave Ben Mee the slip to latch onto Marshall’s centre and direct the ball past Grant six minutes after his introduction.

Howe brought McCann on in the 89th minute to see the game out.

But the plan went out of the window when Marney needlessly fouled substitute Holmes just outside the box in stoppage time.

Marshall’s free kick sent Grant sprawling to his right, and although the goalkeeper did well to save it, the ball should have been tipped around the post instead of parried and Holmes was on hand to fire in the equaliser in the third of four stoppage time minutes and force extra time.

Burnley have yet to win a game in 90 minutes this season, and were glad of McCann benefiting from Easton’s excellent left-wing cross and turning the ball homel to clinch it in the 105th minute.