When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Shaw: Rovers job will attract major interest
DEREK Shaw believes the vacant Blackburn Rovers managerial position will attract significant interest from people “in and out of work” as the search for Steve Kean’s successor begins.
Rovers’ managing director told the Lancashire Telegraph yest-erday both he and global advisor Shebby Singh had already heard from potential candidates and that a strategy would be drawn up at a meeting today.
Shaw, who confirmed Kean’s Friday night’s resignation came as a shock to everyone at the club, insisted it was time to move on from the past as they look forward to “interesting times”.
Shaw said: “I had a chat with Shebby Singh on Saturday and will sit down on Monday and discuss a strategy. I already have had one or two names of people who would be interested and I think Shebby has also had one or two.
“We have gone past the days when the job will be advertised.
“People who are interested will get in touch with us, either themselves or through their agents.
“There is an international break coming up as well which helps but it is difficult to put a time scale on it. We don’t know what might happen and we are open to everything at the moment.
“It is a big decision. We have to keep the owners informed with what is going on and we have to advise them and help them where we can. These are extremely interesting times.
“Eric Black will remain in charge for the foreseeable future.
“Without a shadow of a doubt we all have an open mind on what happens next. I have been involved with appointing managers before and most come across well and say all the right things.
“The proof at the end of it all is in the results. We know the right decision that has to be made because it is important we get back to the Premier League.”
Shaw revealed the first he heard about Kean’s exit was when he received a phone call from the media on Friday night, telling him Kean’s lawyers had released a statement with his resignation on.
He admits he has no idea what prompted his decision on the eve of Saturday’s trip to Charlton, but was keen for everyone to move on and look to the future.
He said: “This is a fresh start. Steve has decided to move on and Blackburn Rovers have to move on.
“There has been enough said.
“In fairness, he probably felt that we can’t go on (the way things were). You win a couple of games and things go quiet, then you lose and there’s booing and the aggravation that goes with that.
“He’s a married man, he’s got children and I think he’s just had enough so he’s decided to call it a day. It can happen to all of us.”
Comments are closed on this article.