When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Olsson ready to leave Ewood
7:37am Wednesday 25th July 2012 in Football
MARTIN Olsson has reiterated his desire to quit Blackburn Rovers this summer as a host of Premier League clubs begin to circle for his signature.
Sources close to the Swedish international have told the Lancashire Telegraph the player informed boss Steve Kean of his wishes at a meeting last week – having already handed in a transfer request earlier in the summer.
Kean insisted earlier last week that only French midfielder Steven Nzonzi had told him he didn’t want to be a part of Rovers’ Championship challenge, but the Telegraph understands Olsson has joined him on the ‘want away list’.
The versatile left-sided player has yet to rejoin Rovers for pre season having undergone a minor groin operation after competing for Sweden in Euro 2012 in June.
He is expected back in training within a fortnight but is hoping to back in the Premier League in time for the big kick off on August 18.
Rovers have yet to receive any official offers for Olsson, who is contracted to Rovers until summer of 2015, but is understood Southampton, Sunderland and Stoke are all monitoring his situation with interest.
Sources close to Olsson say he fears that staying at Ewood Park would harm his international hopes and is also unhappy at having to take a 40 per cent wage cut due to Premier League relegation.
Rovers would not stand in the player’s way if he continues to seek an exit but are understood to want in excess of £5million for the 24-year-old.
Boss Kean is understood to be interested in Rangers’ Lee Wallace should Olsson leave this summer, but Rovers remain hopeful the Swede will remain in East Lancashire.
Meanwhile Rovers’ global advisor Shebby Singh is due to meet Nzonzi’s agent this morning to discuss the player’s future.
Nzonzi’s agent, his father, has already told Rovers he wants out this summer, and has been frozen out of the first team’s pre-season campaign to date.
The club has yet to receive any official interest in the 23-year-old and, with Rovers looking for up to £10million for the midfielder, his future remains uncertain.
Rovers continue their Championship preparations with a pre-season friendly at League Two Rochdale tonight, kick off 7.30.
Rovers’ summer signings are all expected to feature with their season opener at Ipswich now less than a month away.
Meanwhile the Blackburn Rovers Action Group are meeting the Football League today as ‘phase four’ of their efforts to have the Venky’s regime investigated.
BRAG did meet Singh again yesterday though and believe progress is being made as they look for a brighter future.
Chairman Glen Mullan, said: “We have met the sports minister, the FA, the Premier League and now the Football League. It is down to them now to make sure they are monitoring things closely.
“Shebby Singh is a breath of fresh air though and we are really pleased with the progress. He has shown a willingness to listen and to be educated about the supporters’ opinions.”
BRAG are also running ‘affordable travel’ to all Rovers’ away games next season and tickets can be purchased from the Brown Cow or from the Action Group committee.