BURNLEY kept up their incredible away run with a hard fought point at Anfield.

The Clarets have begun the season with five points from games at Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool as Scott Arfield’s first half strike was enough to claim a 1-1 draw on Merseyside.

Arfield had fired Burnley into the lead before Mohamed Salah equalised almost immediately, but despite incessant pressure from the Reds the Clarets held on with another fine defensive display.

Liverpool started the game seeing plenty of the ball but it was a dogged and resilient Clarets side they were struggling to break down, with bodies on the line as blocks came in from Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge efforts.

Burnley had hardly been out of their own half in the first 25 minutes, but at the end of their first significant spell of possession they had the lead.

They’d come close a minute earlier when Robbie Brady had played in the overlapping Stephen Ward but from his low cross Chris Wood’s chance had been snuffed out by Ragnar Klavan.

But from James Tarkowski’s crossfield ball Brady rose above Trent Alexander-Arnold and as the ball looped into the area Wood touched it on for Arfield and he showed a cool head to pass the ball home from 12 yards.

Having kept Liverpool’s dangerous attack at bay for half an hour the Clarets could only hold their lead for three minutes. Emre Can clipped a pass from the centre circle into Salah and he controlled on his thigh before working a yard of space to fire past Nick Pope on his left foot from inside the penalty box.

The immediate response seemed to push the home side into an extra gear but Burnley, often playing a back six with Brady and Johann Berg Gudmundsson pushed back, continued to hold firm and frustrated Liverpool.

Salah twice saw efforts from the right hand edge of the area, one to the near and one to the far post, comfortably held by Pope, while the goalkeeper, making his Premier League debut, also fielded a Sturridge curler with confidence and the striker also lashed a shot into the side-netting after some good work from Coutinho.

In the final seconds of the first half Ben Mee headed a Brady free-kick wide, but the pattern of the game remained the same early in the second half.

Within 10 minutes of the restart Coutinho had sent a right-footed and left-footed shot over, while Pope had managed to shovel away a Can daisy-cutter from 20 yards.

While Liverpool were doing all the pressing they were being forced to try their luck from distance, with James Milner dragging a shot wide and Coutinho having an effort deflected.

Pope, who by now had been booked for time wasting, was called into action again just before the hour mark, beating away a rasping drive from Sturridge from just inside the area, before Tarkowski did well to block a close-range Milner volley after Sturridge’s clipped pass had played him into a promising area.

Can was next to go close for the home side, looping a header onto the roof of the net, before the Clarets threatened themselves. Jack Cork played the ball out to Brady on the left, who cut inside and stung the palms of Simon Mignolet from 20 yards.

As we entered the final 10 minutes Burnley came close to taking the lead. Brady’s first corner was headed goalwards by Mee and cleared off the line by Joel Matip, before Brady’s second delivery again met by Mee and this time Mignolet made the save.

Pope produced his best save of the afternoon with six minutes to go as Trent Alexander-Arnold met Milner’s cross on the volley, only for the Clarets ‘keeper to keep it out on the line as the ball flew threw a couple of bodies.

Liverpool hit the woodwork a minute later, substitute Dominic Solanke turning a volley against the bar from inside the six-yard box from Alexander-Arnold’s cross, but that was to be the hosts final chance.