No sentiment for Blackburn Rovers defender Alex Baptiste ahead of Blackpool return

Alex Baptiste

Alex Baptiste

First published in Football Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Blackburn Rovers reporter

BLACKBURN Rovers defender Alex Baptiste will put sentiment to one side tomorrow when he returns to Blackpool.

The 28-year-old was a key member of the Pool squad which won promotion to the Premier League in 2010 and then reached the Championship play-off final two years later after their entertaining top-flight stay lasted only one season.

Baptiste, immediately after signing for Rovers on loan from Bolton Wanderers, admitted he was ‘heartbroken’ at the chaos engulfing his former club.

But since his arrival at Ewood Park in July new Pool boss Jose Riga has finally been given the go-ahead to boost his threadbare squad by chairman Karl Oyston.

That has pleased Baptiste.

But, with Rovers seeking their first win of the campaign after drawing their opener at home to Cardiff City, his only concern will be leaving Bloomfield Road with three points to take into Tuesday’s testing trip to Norwich City.

Baptiste said: “I went back with Bolton last year but it will be good to play there again and it’s nice to see they are signing a few players.

“But it’s a massive game for us, we’ve got two away games coming up on Saturday and Tuesday, so there will be no love lost there for me as we need to get some points.

“We were disappointed just to get the one point against Cardiff but we need to build on the performance we gave and get three points against Blackpool.”

The Seasiders had just eight players on their books three weeks before the start of the season.

But while they bolstered numbers before the Championship got under way last weekend they were unable to fill their substitutes’ bench for their 2-0 defeat at Nottingham Forest and also for their 1-0 Capital One Cup loss at League Two side Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday night.

Riga wants to make 10 more signings and admits the players he does have at his disposal ‘aren’t ready’ after a shambolic pre-season.

And the Belgian has called on Oyston to do his job to help drag Pool out of the mess they still find themselves in going into tomorrow’s visit of Rovers.

Riga said: “I have responsibilities as manager and I hope other people at the club will do theirs.

“I’m busy with training at the moment and I leave all the negotiations to other people.

“I’ve been doing my job and now I expect them to do the same.

“How long will it take for me to get this team ready? I don’t know. I know it could take time.

“We need to be realistic and see the position we are in.”

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:23pm Fri 15 Aug 14

MxMave says...

Alright in the air, not great with his feet.
Lacks the pace and crossing for wingback but possibly a better choice at CB than Hanley & Killgallon.
Alright in the air, not great with his feet. Lacks the pace and crossing for wingback but possibly a better choice at CB than Hanley & Killgallon. MxMave
  • Score: -1

4:36pm Fri 15 Aug 14

TurfMoor Tom says...

Lose again and Bowyer has to go.
Lose again and Bowyer has to go. TurfMoor Tom
  • Score: -14

6:29pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nuttall Street says...

Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT!
Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT! Nuttall Street
  • Score: -5

6:29pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nuttall Street says...

Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT!
Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT! Nuttall Street
  • Score: -6

7:12pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Raymond Ban says...

Nuttall Street wrote:
Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT!
Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.
[quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT![/p][/quote]Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore. Raymond Ban
  • Score: 9

7:40pm Fri 15 Aug 14

MatthewCA says...

IN professional football what sentiments........no
thing.!!!!!!!

Win the game and be on the top of the table. we already lost 2 points in this season. Be RUTHLESS to WIN.
IN professional football what sentiments........no thing.!!!!!!! Win the game and be on the top of the table. we already lost 2 points in this season. Be RUTHLESS to WIN. MatthewCA
  • Score: 2

7:43pm Fri 15 Aug 14

owd nick says...

Nuttall Street wrote:
Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT!
So good you had to post it twice.

Must have forgotten to change hands.
[quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT![/p][/quote]So good you had to post it twice. Must have forgotten to change hands. owd nick
  • Score: 4

7:52pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Bellypork says...

Sorry to say it but it's true, lose to Blackpool tomorrow and the season looks bleak, mid table finish, f**k all to play for again.
Sorry to say it but it's true, lose to Blackpool tomorrow and the season looks bleak, mid table finish, f**k all to play for again. Bellypork
  • Score: -1

8:03pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nuttall Street says...

Raymond Ban wrote:
Nuttall Street wrote:
Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT!
Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.
Nope, Raymond, old chap, you are very wrong there. I continue to support the Rovers as I have for well over 50 years now. I just don't go to see them at Ewood Park anymore because it is untenable for me to put money in the pockets of those b@st@rds, the Venkys. Truth be told I don't go to see them away so often now because they are so cr@p with all that long ball stuff. So I prefer to go to Arsenal or Fulham or Chelsea where I might not see the team of my childhood but at least I enjoy the football. You might have had a backbone removal and can swallow all that Venky sh1t, but I'm made of better stuff. See you next May mid to bottom half of the championship.
[quote][p][bold]Raymond Ban[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT![/p][/quote]Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.[/p][/quote]Nope, Raymond, old chap, you are very wrong there. I continue to support the Rovers as I have for well over 50 years now. I just don't go to see them at Ewood Park anymore because it is untenable for me to put money in the pockets of those b@st@rds, the Venkys. Truth be told I don't go to see them away so often now because they are so cr@p with all that long ball stuff. So I prefer to go to Arsenal or Fulham or Chelsea where I might not see the team of my childhood but at least I enjoy the football. You might have had a backbone removal and can swallow all that Venky sh1t, but I'm made of better stuff. See you next May mid to bottom half of the championship. Nuttall Street
  • Score: -8

8:03pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nuttall Street says...

Raymond Ban wrote:
Nuttall Street wrote:
Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT!
Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.
Nope, Raymond, old chap, you are very wrong there. I continue to support the Rovers as I have for well over 50 years now. I just don't go to see them at Ewood Park anymore because it is untenable for me to put money in the pockets of those b@st@rds, the Venkys. Truth be told I don't go to see them away so often now because they are so cr@p with all that long ball stuff. So I prefer to go to Arsenal or Fulham or Chelsea where I might not see the team of my childhood but at least I enjoy the football. You might have had a backbone removal and can swallow all that Venky sh1t, but I'm made of better stuff. See you next May mid to bottom half of the championship.
[quote][p][bold]Raymond Ban[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT![/p][/quote]Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.[/p][/quote]Nope, Raymond, old chap, you are very wrong there. I continue to support the Rovers as I have for well over 50 years now. I just don't go to see them at Ewood Park anymore because it is untenable for me to put money in the pockets of those b@st@rds, the Venkys. Truth be told I don't go to see them away so often now because they are so cr@p with all that long ball stuff. So I prefer to go to Arsenal or Fulham or Chelsea where I might not see the team of my childhood but at least I enjoy the football. You might have had a backbone removal and can swallow all that Venky sh1t, but I'm made of better stuff. See you next May mid to bottom half of the championship. Nuttall Street
  • Score: -8

8:14pm Fri 15 Aug 14

TurfMoor Tom says...

Bellypork wrote:
Sorry to say it but it's true, lose to Blackpool tomorrow and the season looks bleak, mid table finish, f**k all to play for again.
Have to say I'd agree with that on the evidence so far.

Bowyer just can't get any more out of this very average group of players. We need a real motivator a la Sean Dyche to pick up what remains of our club and drive us forwards, sadly we are more likely to end up with Shebby Singh.

I really fear for us this season, I'm thinking mid table is being hopeful.
[quote][p][bold]Bellypork[/bold] wrote: Sorry to say it but it's true, lose to Blackpool tomorrow and the season looks bleak, mid table finish, f**k all to play for again.[/p][/quote]Have to say I'd agree with that on the evidence so far. Bowyer just can't get any more out of this very average group of players. We need a real motivator a la Sean Dyche to pick up what remains of our club and drive us forwards, sadly we are more likely to end up with Shebby Singh. I really fear for us this season, I'm thinking mid table is being hopeful. TurfMoor Tom
  • Score: -8

8:42pm Fri 15 Aug 14

toivonen says...

Nuttall Street wrote:
Raymond Ban wrote:
Nuttall Street wrote:
Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT!
Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.
Nope, Raymond, old chap, you are very wrong there. I continue to support the Rovers as I have for well over 50 years now. I just don't go to see them at Ewood Park anymore because it is untenable for me to put money in the pockets of those b@st@rds, the Venkys. Truth be told I don't go to see them away so often now because they are so cr@p with all that long ball stuff. So I prefer to go to Arsenal or Fulham or Chelsea where I might not see the team of my childhood but at least I enjoy the football. You might have had a backbone removal and can swallow all that Venky sh1t, but I'm made of better stuff. See you next May mid to bottom half of the championship.
You say you don't like long ball and then want Pulis as manager, you know nothing about football do you?
[quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Raymond Ban[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT![/p][/quote]Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.[/p][/quote]Nope, Raymond, old chap, you are very wrong there. I continue to support the Rovers as I have for well over 50 years now. I just don't go to see them at Ewood Park anymore because it is untenable for me to put money in the pockets of those b@st@rds, the Venkys. Truth be told I don't go to see them away so often now because they are so cr@p with all that long ball stuff. So I prefer to go to Arsenal or Fulham or Chelsea where I might not see the team of my childhood but at least I enjoy the football. You might have had a backbone removal and can swallow all that Venky sh1t, but I'm made of better stuff. See you next May mid to bottom half of the championship.[/p][/quote]You say you don't like long ball and then want Pulis as manager, you know nothing about football do you? toivonen
  • Score: 9

9:08pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nuttall Street says...

To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.
To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know. Nuttall Street
  • Score: -12

10:13pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Raymond Ban says...

Nuttall Street wrote:
Raymond Ban wrote:
Nuttall Street wrote:
Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT!
Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.
Nope, Raymond, old chap, you are very wrong there. I continue to support the Rovers as I have for well over 50 years now. I just don't go to see them at Ewood Park anymore because it is untenable for me to put money in the pockets of those b@st@rds, the Venkys. Truth be told I don't go to see them away so often now because they are so cr@p with all that long ball stuff. So I prefer to go to Arsenal or Fulham or Chelsea where I might not see the team of my childhood but at least I enjoy the football. You might have had a backbone removal and can swallow all that Venky sh1t, but I'm made of better stuff. See you next May mid to bottom half of the championship.
I assume you live in the London area and have plenty of cash on the hip if you're watching Arsenal, Chelsea and Fulham.
My backbone is still intact and it takes more than Venkys to stop me supporting the club I've supported for 32 years. You've obviously made the choice to run away, which begs the question where's your backbone?
In your next post you refer to Rovers as "you" rather than "we" which says everything about you. I suggest you change your user name to Kings Road.
[quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Raymond Ban[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: Let's get rid of Bowyer and snap up Tony Pullis. We can't be a less attractive prospect than Crystal Palace. Oops, but of course we are. Tony Pullis is his own man and wouldn't be prepared to bend the knee to the Venkys. And who could blame him. Save Rovers from languishing in the lower echelons of the football league - VENKYS OUT![/p][/quote]Congratulations, you've just answered your own question. And why would you care anyway, you don't support Rovers anymore.[/p][/quote]Nope, Raymond, old chap, you are very wrong there. I continue to support the Rovers as I have for well over 50 years now. I just don't go to see them at Ewood Park anymore because it is untenable for me to put money in the pockets of those b@st@rds, the Venkys. Truth be told I don't go to see them away so often now because they are so cr@p with all that long ball stuff. So I prefer to go to Arsenal or Fulham or Chelsea where I might not see the team of my childhood but at least I enjoy the football. You might have had a backbone removal and can swallow all that Venky sh1t, but I'm made of better stuff. See you next May mid to bottom half of the championship.[/p][/quote]I assume you live in the London area and have plenty of cash on the hip if you're watching Arsenal, Chelsea and Fulham. My backbone is still intact and it takes more than Venkys to stop me supporting the club I've supported for 32 years. You've obviously made the choice to run away, which begs the question where's your backbone? In your next post you refer to Rovers as "you" rather than "we" which says everything about you. I suggest you change your user name to Kings Road. Raymond Ban
  • Score: 16

10:49pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Pembina says...

Nuttall Street wrote:
To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.
What a sad person you are
[quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.[/p][/quote]What a sad person you are Pembina
  • Score: 1

8:07am Sat 16 Aug 14

toivonen says...

Nuttall Street wrote:
To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.
You really do know nothing don't you
[quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.[/p][/quote]You really do know nothing don't you toivonen
  • Score: 4

9:02am Sat 16 Aug 14

owd nick says...

Nuttall Street wrote:
To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.
Sorry to be a tad pedantic but if you think about it football like everything else is quantum mechanics. :-)
[quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.[/p][/quote]Sorry to be a tad pedantic but if you think about it football like everything else is quantum mechanics. :-) owd nick
  • Score: 2

9:35am Sat 16 Aug 14

Nuttall Street says...

owd nick wrote:
Nuttall Street wrote:
To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.
Sorry to be a tad pedantic but if you think about it football like everything else is quantum mechanics. :-)
Yup, that's a good point
[quote][p][bold]owd nick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nuttall Street[/bold] wrote: To oven,! Toiven, or what the fcuk you call yourself. Let me tell you there is nothing to know about football. Football isn't quantum mechanics? You either like it because your club is winning or you like it because the football is good. At Ewood Park you aren't winning and the football is sh1t. That's all there us to know.[/p][/quote]Sorry to be a tad pedantic but if you think about it football like everything else is quantum mechanics. :-)[/p][/quote]Yup, that's a good point Nuttall Street
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree