BURNLEY new boy Lukas Jutkiewicz is ready to make the most of his second shot at the Premier League – four years after leaving Everton.
Jutkiewicz got only four minutes of top flight action during three seasons at Goodison Park before dropping into the Championship with Coventry City and Middlesbrough.
But the 25-year-old returned to the Premier League when he joined Burnley for £1.5m last week and is preparing to make his second appearance for the Clarets in this afternoon’s friendly at Accrington Stanley.
He is relishing the chance for another crack at the top flight.
“It’s where every player wants to be, the Premier League is the ultimate for a player,” Jutkiewicz said.
“I had a couple of years at Everton, I was in and around the first team squad and managed to get on the pitch in the Premier League.
“But I felt like I wanted another chance to have a proper go at it.
“At Everton we had Yakubu, Victor Anichebe, James Vaughan, Andy Johnson, Jo and Louis Saha.
“You always want to push yourselves for the highest possible peak you can get to and that was always the plan, to play more there.
“It didn’t work out that way so I had to take a step back and get some game time.
“Now I can have another go at it.”
Jutkiewicz was only 17 when he joined Everton for £1m from League Two side Swindon and thinks he is better equipped for the Premier League at this stage of his career.
“Yes, I hope so,” the striker said.
“I think you have to take a step back to work out what you’re good at doing and get more games.
“I usually leave assessments of myself as a player to other people, but I think you automatically pick up things through experience.
“It’s four years since I left Everton and you are obviously going to pick up different things.
“It can’t have hurt being in and around that quality of player every day as well.
“Hopefully I can have a good go at it now this season.”
The Clarets are still aiming to add to their squad before their opening game of the season on August 18, with central midfield among the areas they are looking to strengthen.
They have been linked with an interest in Nottingham Forest’s Henri Lansbury, although the former Arsenal youngster is said to prefer a move back to the south if he was to leave the City Ground.
Forest want to retain the 23-year-old as they aim for a push for promotion under new boss Stuart Pearce.