Goodwillie to hold talks as Rovers put six on the list

David Goodwillie

David Goodwillie

First published in Football
Last updated

DAVID Goodwillie will discuss his future on his return from holiday after being one of six players transfer listed by Blackburn Rovers.

Rovers have been attempting to move on a number of high-earners for some time and have now taken the step of officially placing six players on the transfer list.

A brief club statement confirmed that Goodwillie, Leon Best, DJ Campbell, Dickson Etuhu, Alex Marrow and Jordan Slew are all available for transfer.

But it still remains uncertain whether all six will depart Ewood Park this summer.

Rovers have been trying for some time to move on certain players – including Best, who was deemed surplus to requirements by boss Gary Bowyer as far back as last August.

Best and a number of others were recruited on high wages and Rovers have so far struggled to find clubs willing to take on their salaries.

Goodwillie has scored only five goals and made just 10 starts for Rovers since joining the club from Dundee United in a £2.8m deal in 2011.

The Scottish striker had a loan spell at Crystal Palace during the 2012/13 season and was willing to fight for his place at Rovers last summer, only to go out on loan again – this time to Dundee United.

He ended the 2013/14 campaign on loan at Blackpool and, although he still has a year left on his contract at Ewood Park, his agent Ricky Gillies now expects the search to start for a new club.

“That’s the natural progression now,” admitted Gillies, a former Aberdeen and St Mirren player.

“He’s on holiday at the moment, I’ve not spoken to him yet.

“Obviously things haven’t panned out the way he had hoped at Blackburn.

“I need to speak to him and we need to see where we go from here.”

Related links

Although Rovers have not explicitly state that the six transfer listed players are available for free, they are unlikely to seek large fees – keen simply to get the salaries off their wage bill.

Rovers have cut their wage bill substantially over the past 12 months – agreeing pay-offs with the likes of Danny Murphy, Nuno Gomes, Gael Givet and Morten Gamst Pedersen, while also selling Scott Dann to Crystal Palace.

But they know they need to reduce the wage bill further as they attempt to fall in line with the Football League’s incoming financial fair play regulations.

Rovers have previously admitted that they are in danger of a transfer embargo when the new regulations come into place in January.

Best still has two years left on his Rovers contract but fell out of favour early in the 2013/14 campaign.

Attempts to move him on eventually resulted in a loan switch to Sheffield Wednesday, although the Owls could only afford to take on a portion of his substantial wage packet.

Campbell was loaned to Millwall, but the Lions sent the striker back to Ewood Park last month when he was re-arrested as part of a National Crime Agency probe into alleged spot-fixing in football.

The 32-year-old, who still has a year left on his Rovers deal, was bailed until late June.

Etuhu had said this week that he wanted to fight for his place at Rovers and show that he had more to offer at the club, after a disastrous two seasons hit by poor form and injuries.

But the midfielder, who has two years left on his contract, has now been told he is on the transfer list.

Also available for transfer are midfielder Marrow, who made only four appearances for Rovers after rejoining the club on a three-year deal last summer.

The 24-year-old had a spell on loan at Fleetwood early in 2014.

Slew, who has one year left on his contract, has played only two games since joining Rovers minutes before the August transfer deadline in 2011.

His only league appearance, however, was a substitute in Rovers’ famous 3-2 victory at Manchester United.

He has since had loans at Stevenage, Oldham, Rotherham and Ross County.

There also remain doubts over the futures of Alan Judge and Ruben Rochina.

Judge spent the end of the season on loan at Brentford and has said he would be interested in staying at Griffin Park after their promotion to the Championship.

Rochina has been on loan at Spanish club Rayo Vallecano and could decide he wants to remain in his homeland.

Bradley Orr remains on loan at Toronto until the end of the calendar year.

• Young Rovers midfielder Josh Morris is expected to be part of the Fleetwood Town side that takes on Burton Albion at Wembley in this afternoon’s League Two play-off final.

Morris has scored two goals in 16 games since signing on loan for Fleetwood in February.

• Rovers’ under 21 captain Darragh Lenihan earned his first cap for the Republic of Ireland under 21 team as they drew 1-1 with Qatar in Germany on Saturday.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:55am Mon 26 May 14

greenscreener says...

Sorry DG but at 25 you should be performing at your peak. This guy has had one decent season in his career, a long time ago in Scotland, had more front page exploits than back page headlines and got a dream transfer as one of the mysterious acquisitions of Steve Kean. Another costly 'mistake', move on.
Sorry DG but at 25 you should be performing at your peak. This guy has had one decent season in his career, a long time ago in Scotland, had more front page exploits than back page headlines and got a dream transfer as one of the mysterious acquisitions of Steve Kean. Another costly 'mistake', move on. greenscreener
  • Score: 12

11:15am Mon 26 May 14

Welsh Rover says...

Well, there are no surprises with regards to the players who have been transfer listed. Whether we'll be able to get rid of all of them is another story though. I think Best did enough whilst on loan at Wednesday to interest some clubs, but his £32k-per-week* wages could be a stumbling block. However, the chance to play first-team football could see him take a pay-cut to move on. Goodwillie was sought after by a few clubs back in January, and his £20k-per-week wages* could probably be covered by quite a few teams in the SPL.

Marrow would be lucky to get a move to another Championship club, seeing as how he's struggled to make an impact in League Two, so, despite not being on big wages, he's another who may need to take a pay-cut to drop down a division or two. As for Campbell, a lot rests on the outcome of the investigation into spot-fixing. Personally, I can't see anybody coming in for him until it's resolved, and even if he's proved innocent his age, lack of form and £24k-per-week wages* aren't going to attract many clubs.

As for Jordan Slew, I wouldn't be surprised to see him return to Scotland as, despite not scoring for Ross County, he still played well and impressed their management team. Also, like Marrow, he's not on big money either. That leaves Dickson A-boo-boo who'll probably pick up ACL damage walking to the shops to pick up the Sunday papers before pre-season even starts. Injury prone, over 30 years of age and banking £30k-per-week* makes him nigh on unsellable. The only positive outcome with him would be if he stayed fit and forced his way into the first team with the kind of displays that he put in for Fulham.

I think one telling omission from the list is Yann Songo'o. Like Slew, he spent the second half of the season at Ross County and cemented his place in the starting XI. He scored 3 goals in 17 appearances (not bad for a defender), and can play as a right-back or centre-half. It could be that Bowyer will decide to keep him as cover this season.

* I don't have access to the players bank accounts so my figures are based on the (oft-inflated) figures quoted in the media and by trolls on the Internet.
Well, there are no surprises with regards to the players who have been transfer listed. Whether we'll be able to get rid of all of them is another story though. I think Best did enough whilst on loan at Wednesday to interest some clubs, but his £32k-per-week* wages could be a stumbling block. However, the chance to play first-team football could see him take a pay-cut to move on. Goodwillie was sought after by a few clubs back in January, and his £20k-per-week wages* could probably be covered by quite a few teams in the SPL. Marrow would be lucky to get a move to another Championship club, seeing as how he's struggled to make an impact in League Two, so, despite not being on big wages, he's another who may need to take a pay-cut to drop down a division or two. As for Campbell, a lot rests on the outcome of the investigation into spot-fixing. Personally, I can't see anybody coming in for him until it's resolved, and even if he's proved innocent his age, lack of form and £24k-per-week wages* aren't going to attract many clubs. As for Jordan Slew, I wouldn't be surprised to see him return to Scotland as, despite not scoring for Ross County, he still played well and impressed their management team. Also, like Marrow, he's not on big money either. That leaves Dickson A-boo-boo who'll probably pick up ACL damage walking to the shops to pick up the Sunday papers before pre-season even starts. Injury prone, over 30 years of age and banking £30k-per-week* makes him nigh on unsellable. The only positive outcome with him would be if he stayed fit and forced his way into the first team with the kind of displays that he put in for Fulham. I think one telling omission from the list is Yann Songo'o. Like Slew, he spent the second half of the season at Ross County and cemented his place in the starting XI. He scored 3 goals in 17 appearances (not bad for a defender), and can play as a right-back or centre-half. It could be that Bowyer will decide to keep him as cover this season. * I don't have access to the players bank accounts so my figures are based on the (oft-inflated) figures quoted in the media and by trolls on the Internet. Welsh Rover
  • Score: 11

11:49am Mon 26 May 14

French Rover says...

However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes.

I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton.

I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.
However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes. I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton. I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace. French Rover
  • Score: 3

12:07pm Mon 26 May 14

Welsh Rover says...

French Rover wrote:
However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes.

I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton.

I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.
Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own.

As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.
[quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes. I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton. I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.[/p][/quote]Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own. As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway. Welsh Rover
  • Score: 2

12:11pm Mon 26 May 14

Rovers 1495 says...

I hardly think he could warn Chelsea off Courtois ... they own him
I hardly think he could warn Chelsea off Courtois ... they own him Rovers 1495
  • Score: -1

12:18pm Mon 26 May 14

Super_Clarets says...

What a shambles.

Staying down forever.
What a shambles. Staying down forever. Super_Clarets
  • Score: -27

12:31pm Mon 26 May 14

Welsh Rover says...

Rovers 1495 wrote:
I hardly think he could warn Chelsea off Courtois ... they own him
I know, that's what I said. :)
[quote][p][bold]Rovers 1495[/bold] wrote: I hardly think he could warn Chelsea off Courtois ... they own him[/p][/quote]I know, that's what I said. :) Welsh Rover
  • Score: 5

1:44pm Mon 26 May 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

The new Rooney must be worth 20 million to someone
The new Rooney must be worth 20 million to someone AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: 1

1:49pm Mon 26 May 14

wilddog says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
The new Rooney must be worth 20 million to someone
who is the new rooney? He aint at rovers is he?
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: The new Rooney must be worth 20 million to someone[/p][/quote]who is the new rooney? He aint at rovers is he? wilddog
  • Score: -5

2:31pm Mon 26 May 14

French Rover says...

Welsh Rover wrote:
French Rover wrote:
However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes.

I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton.

I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.
Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own.

As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.
Why Swansea? Its in Wales...enough said :-)
[quote][p][bold]Welsh Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes. I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton. I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.[/p][/quote]Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own. As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.[/p][/quote]Why Swansea? Its in Wales...enough said :-) French Rover
  • Score: -1

3:24pm Mon 26 May 14

baldie says...

Super_Clarets wrote:
What a shambles.

Staying down forever.
Has Ingsy signed yet?
[quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: What a shambles. Staying down forever.[/p][/quote]Has Ingsy signed yet? baldie
  • Score: 9

4:39pm Mon 26 May 14

Welsh Rover says...

wilddog wrote:
AnotherPounding4Burn

ley
wrote:
The new Rooney must be worth 20 million to someone
who is the new rooney? He aint at rovers is he?
It's how Steve Kean described Goodwillie when he bought him. He also said that Formica was the new Batistuta, likened Bruno Ribeiro to Denis Irwin and commented how Paulo Jorge reminded him of Gennaro Gattuso, because they look similar. Suffice to say, Steve Kean didn't prove to be the new Alex Ferguson.
[quote][p][bold]wilddog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: The new Rooney must be worth 20 million to someone[/p][/quote]who is the new rooney? He aint at rovers is he?[/p][/quote]It's how Steve Kean described Goodwillie when he bought him. He also said that Formica was the new Batistuta, likened Bruno Ribeiro to Denis Irwin and commented how Paulo Jorge reminded him of Gennaro Gattuso, because they look similar. Suffice to say, Steve Kean didn't prove to be the new Alex Ferguson. Welsh Rover
  • Score: 8

4:40pm Mon 26 May 14

Welsh Rover says...

French Rover wrote:
Welsh Rover wrote:
French Rover wrote:
However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes.

I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton.

I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.
Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own.

As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.
Why Swansea? Its in Wales...enough said :-)
Oh, cheers!
[quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welsh Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes. I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton. I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.[/p][/quote]Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own. As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.[/p][/quote]Why Swansea? Its in Wales...enough said :-)[/p][/quote]Oh, cheers! Welsh Rover
  • Score: 6

5:22pm Mon 26 May 14

mammamiauk says...

Jordan does not let speculation affect him, ignores it and gets on with the work entrusted to him at Rovers. He has already mentioned on numerous occasions that he is very happy at Rovers and will be there for the long haul. The only time that Jordan will leave Rovers is when he is told that he is 'no longer a Blackburn Rovers player'.
Jordan does not let speculation affect him, ignores it and gets on with the work entrusted to him at Rovers. He has already mentioned on numerous occasions that he is very happy at Rovers and will be there for the long haul. The only time that Jordan will leave Rovers is when he is told that he is 'no longer a Blackburn Rovers player'. mammamiauk
  • Score: 4

6:13pm Mon 26 May 14

wolsty says...

Super_Clarets wrote:
What a shambles.

Staying down forever.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZ
[quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: What a shambles. Staying down forever.[/p][/quote]ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZ wolsty
  • Score: 3

6:18pm Mon 26 May 14

French Rover says...

Welsh Rover wrote:
French Rover wrote:
Welsh Rover wrote:
French Rover wrote:
However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes.

I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton.

I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.
Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own.

As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.
Why Swansea? Its in Wales...enough said :-)
Oh, cheers!
Sorry Welsh Rover but Swansea (and Newport) are pretty dour places! Cardiff is a bit better but not a nice place to be on a wet Tuesday night in November ( or July for that matter) !
[quote][p][bold]Welsh Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welsh Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes. I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton. I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.[/p][/quote]Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own. As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.[/p][/quote]Why Swansea? Its in Wales...enough said :-)[/p][/quote]Oh, cheers![/p][/quote]Sorry Welsh Rover but Swansea (and Newport) are pretty dour places! Cardiff is a bit better but not a nice place to be on a wet Tuesday night in November ( or July for that matter) ! French Rover
  • Score: 4

7:19pm Mon 26 May 14

Old age pensioner says...

Super_Clarets wrote:
What a shambles.

Staying down forever.
zzzzzzzzzzzzNzzzzzzz
zzzHzzzzzzzzzNzzzzzz
zzzzHzzzzzzzzzz
[quote][p][bold]Super_Clarets[/bold] wrote: What a shambles. Staying down forever.[/p][/quote]zzzzzzzzzzzzNzzzzzzz zzzHzzzzzzzzzNzzzzzz zzzzHzzzzzzzzzz Old age pensioner
  • Score: 5

7:30pm Mon 26 May 14

Welsh Rover says...

French Rover wrote:
Welsh Rover wrote:
French Rover wrote:
Welsh Rover wrote:
French Rover wrote:
However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes.

I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton.

I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.
Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own.

As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.
Why Swansea? Its in Wales...enough said :-)
Oh, cheers!
Sorry Welsh Rover but Swansea (and Newport) are pretty dour places! Cardiff is a bit better but not a nice place to be on a wet Tuesday night in November ( or July for that matter) !
I respect your opinion, although I can only assume you've not been to Swansea in a while. Blackburn isn't exactly Marseille in the summer either but as long as I'm watching football I could be in Kabul for all I care. As for Cardiff, it's a great city to go out in, so long as you don't bump into their football firm or, worse still, those muppets off that MTV reality show!

I'm with you on Newport though.
[quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welsh Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Welsh Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: However important it is to get some or all of these six off our books this close season, it is even more critical that we try to keep hold of our best players, like Rhodes. I see that there are a number of Prem clubs reported to be lining-up their bids currently, including: Leicester City, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea and Everton. I can see Rhodes being tempted by all of those clubs (bar Swansea) and couldn`t really blame him if he wanted to move up a division now, as in this game you definitely have to take your opportunities when they come and after two seasons proving himself in the championship then it could be a perfect time for him to move onwards and upwards. But he would be a massive loss to the Rovers and be almost impossible to replace.[/p][/quote]Someone posted a link, on one of the other articles, relating to Everton's impending bid for Rhodes but I'm not sure I'd trust that source myself. On the same website there was an article about Atletico Madrid's owner, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, warning Chelsea off their star players, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. That's right, we're expected to believe that one man is warning a club off a player who they already own. As for the other clubs, I've not read anything linking any of them with Rhodes yet, but I'm expecting at least one concrete offer for him before the season kicks off. Not sure I understand why you think Rhodes wouldn't be tempted by Swansea though. It's a very well run club with excellent facilities. That said, he'd have his work cut out to usurp Bony from the starting XI anyway.[/p][/quote]Why Swansea? Its in Wales...enough said :-)[/p][/quote]Oh, cheers![/p][/quote]Sorry Welsh Rover but Swansea (and Newport) are pretty dour places! Cardiff is a bit better but not a nice place to be on a wet Tuesday night in November ( or July for that matter) ![/p][/quote]I respect your opinion, although I can only assume you've not been to Swansea in a while. Blackburn isn't exactly Marseille in the summer either but as long as I'm watching football I could be in Kabul for all I care. As for Cardiff, it's a great city to go out in, so long as you don't bump into their football firm or, worse still, those muppets off that MTV reality show! I'm with you on Newport though. Welsh Rover
  • Score: 4

11:31pm Wed 28 May 14

roversfanNZ says...

I also heard that when Rovers were chasing Rhodes for Huddersfield that he isn't the kind of player to put in transfer requests.
I also heard that when Rovers were chasing Rhodes for Huddersfield that he isn't the kind of player to put in transfer requests. roversfanNZ
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree