Lancashire TelegraphSimon Garner column: Credit to Rovers for not giving up hope (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Simon Garner column: Credit to Rovers for not giving up hope

Lancashire Telegraph: Gary Bowyer has done well Gary Bowyer has done well

AFTER those four successive draws earlier this month, Blackburn could easily have given up.

They could have said, ‘Right, we’re not going up, we’re not going down, we’ll just play the season out’.

But they haven’t done that and now there is a chance, albeit a small one, that they could still get in the play-offs when this time last week it looked all over.

The players deserve great credit for that but particularly the manager, as he is the one driving them on and challenging them to finish on a high.

If they can do that, they can then take their momentum into next season if, as it looks, they are to remain in the Championship.

A strong finish will also leave the fans in good spirits going into the summer and that will help, what with that lot from up the road looking like they are going up.

But who knows?

If Blackburn can win four or five of their final games they could yet make the top six.

They’ve just got to carry on winning and don’t worry about what other teams are doing.

And the great thing is they go into these final five games really confident.

When you have that confidence there is a real buzz around the dressing room and a feeling that you can get a result in any game you play in.

Whereas when you’re on a bad run of form you can sometimes panic about going on to the pitch and, if you concede an early goal, it’s a case of ‘here we go again’.

Blackburn certainly won’t be feeling that after seven games without defeat.

Big reasons behind that is the form of January signings Rudy Gestede and Craig Conway from Cardiff.

Like most of the players Gary Bowyer has brought into the squad, they look absolute bargains.

I think Gary has done really well in the transfer market.

He hasn’t paid massive money for players, most of who are young, have got a future, have got the right work ethic and who fit into the way he wants his team to play.

That’s not easy.

The easy part is spending the money, the hardest part is identifying the player and then making sure he’s the right player for the club.

And I think Gary does that very, very well.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:10pm Fri 11 Apr 14

.Lancs _ Pensioner says...

For gods sake here we go again play off talks this time by Simple Simon unbeaten in 7 games and we've turned into Brazil.

It will all come crashing down tomorrow.
But hey keep the faith.
Out with the cowboys and Indians.
For gods sake here we go again play off talks this time by Simple Simon unbeaten in 7 games and we've turned into Brazil. It will all come crashing down tomorrow. But hey keep the faith. Out with the cowboys and Indians. .Lancs _ Pensioner
  • Score: -16

3:20pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Rovers 1495 says...

Dot Lancs space underscore space Pensioner

You are such a w*nker
Dot Lancs space underscore space Pensioner You are such a w*nker Rovers 1495
  • Score: 15

5:04pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Lancs - pensioner says...

.Lancs _ Pensioner wrote:
For gods sake here we go again play off talks this time by Simple Simon unbeaten in 7 games and we've turned into Brazil.

It will all come crashing down tomorrow.
But hey keep the faith.
Out with the cowboys and Indians.
Tosser!
[quote][p][bold].Lancs _ Pensioner[/bold] wrote: For gods sake here we go again play off talks this time by Simple Simon unbeaten in 7 games and we've turned into Brazil. It will all come crashing down tomorrow. But hey keep the faith. Out with the cowboys and Indians.[/p][/quote]Tosser! Lancs - pensioner
  • Score: 5

6:45pm Fri 11 Apr 14

A Darener says...

Fake LP, "we've turned into Brazil? When have Burnley ever looked like Brazil? Nearest similarity, you are nuts!
Fake LP, "we've turned into Brazil? When have Burnley ever looked like Brazil? Nearest similarity, you are nuts! A Darener
  • Score: 4

7:45pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Angry From Accrington says...

What a disgraceful comment from Simon Garner. These are highly paid professionals who have a duty to their supporters and to fellow professionals to play to the best of their ability and win every game. Is this an insight into the attitude that Simon and his team mates used to adopt in his playing days?
What a disgraceful comment from Simon Garner. These are highly paid professionals who have a duty to their supporters and to fellow professionals to play to the best of their ability and win every game. Is this an insight into the attitude that Simon and his team mates used to adopt in his playing days? Angry From Accrington
  • Score: -7

7:51pm Fri 11 Apr 14

FCBurnley says...

Darener is back. Thought you only came on here to gloat at career threatening injuries.
Darener is back. Thought you only came on here to gloat at career threatening injuries. FCBurnley
  • Score: -3

7:57pm Fri 11 Apr 14

A Darener says...

FCBurnley wrote:
Darener is back. Thought you only came on here to gloat at career threatening injuries.
You are a complete imbecile! I NEVER gloated about any injury to ANY player be it Burnley or any other team. I was one of the first to say I hope Vokes recovered quickly. Try reading what I wrote. What I did point out was that the Burnley board had left your team short of backup. But as it happens it doesn't seem to have made any difference to your return to the PL. I look forward to seeing your results next season.
[quote][p][bold]FCBurnley[/bold] wrote: Darener is back. Thought you only came on here to gloat at career threatening injuries.[/p][/quote]You are a complete imbecile! I NEVER gloated about any injury to ANY player be it Burnley or any other team. I was one of the first to say I hope Vokes recovered quickly. Try reading what I wrote. What I did point out was that the Burnley board had left your team short of backup. But as it happens it doesn't seem to have made any difference to your return to the PL. I look forward to seeing your results next season. A Darener
  • Score: 2

8:29pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Lancs - pensioner says...

Rovers 1495 wrote:
Dot Lancs space underscore space Pensioner

You are such a w*nker
You took the words right out of my mouth 1945.

The Real LP
[quote][p][bold]Rovers 1495[/bold] wrote: Dot Lancs space underscore space Pensioner You are such a w*nker[/p][/quote]You took the words right out of my mouth 1945. The Real LP Lancs - pensioner
  • Score: 4

8:33am Sat 12 Apr 14

Angry From Accrington says...

Angry From Accrington wrote:
What a disgraceful comment from Simon Garner. These are highly paid professionals who have a duty to their supporters and to fellow professionals to play to the best of their ability and win every game. Is this an insight into the attitude that Simon and his team mates used to adopt in his playing days?
I am also disappointed by those who have given a thumbs down without the courage of conviction to debate the point.
[quote][p][bold]Angry From Accrington[/bold] wrote: What a disgraceful comment from Simon Garner. These are highly paid professionals who have a duty to their supporters and to fellow professionals to play to the best of their ability and win every game. Is this an insight into the attitude that Simon and his team mates used to adopt in his playing days?[/p][/quote]I am also disappointed by those who have given a thumbs down without the courage of conviction to debate the point. Angry From Accrington
  • Score: -2

1:14pm Sat 12 Apr 14

greenscreener says...

Angry From Accrington wrote:
Angry From Accrington wrote:
What a disgraceful comment from Simon Garner. These are highly paid professionals who have a duty to their supporters and to fellow professionals to play to the best of their ability and win every game. Is this an insight into the attitude that Simon and his team mates used to adopt in his playing days?
I am also disappointed by those who have given a thumbs down without the courage of conviction to debate the point.
Sorry Angry, I think it is a little naive to think that every footballer gives 100% in every game. Yes, that is what we would all like to think they do but the reality is that at the end of the season, when there is nothing to play for, players will not risk serious injury and will take their foot off the gas. It's not disgraceful, it's simply being honest and has been the reality for all the years I've followed the game. Garner is acknowledging that so far Rovers have not done that. There are many things surrounding BRFC worth getting angry about, this just isn't one of them.
[quote][p][bold]Angry From Accrington[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry From Accrington[/bold] wrote: What a disgraceful comment from Simon Garner. These are highly paid professionals who have a duty to their supporters and to fellow professionals to play to the best of their ability and win every game. Is this an insight into the attitude that Simon and his team mates used to adopt in his playing days?[/p][/quote]I am also disappointed by those who have given a thumbs down without the courage of conviction to debate the point.[/p][/quote]Sorry Angry, I think it is a little naive to think that every footballer gives 100% in every game. Yes, that is what we would all like to think they do but the reality is that at the end of the season, when there is nothing to play for, players will not risk serious injury and will take their foot off the gas. It's not disgraceful, it's simply being honest and has been the reality for all the years I've followed the game. Garner is acknowledging that so far Rovers have not done that. There are many things surrounding BRFC worth getting angry about, this just isn't one of them. greenscreener
  • Score: 0

6:18pm Sat 12 Apr 14

Angry From Accrington says...

greenscreener wrote:
Angry From Accrington wrote:
Angry From Accrington wrote:
What a disgraceful comment from Simon Garner. These are highly paid professionals who have a duty to their supporters and to fellow professionals to play to the best of their ability and win every game. Is this an insight into the attitude that Simon and his team mates used to adopt in his playing days?
I am also disappointed by those who have given a thumbs down without the courage of conviction to debate the point.
Sorry Angry, I think it is a little naive to think that every footballer gives 100% in every game. Yes, that is what we would all like to think they do but the reality is that at the end of the season, when there is nothing to play for, players will not risk serious injury and will take their foot off the gas. It's not disgraceful, it's simply being honest and has been the reality for all the years I've followed the game. Garner is acknowledging that so far Rovers have not done that. There are many things surrounding BRFC worth getting angry about, this just isn't one of them.
Which now makes me suspect whether we gave it everything today or did they believe that that had done just enough in the first half?
I don't get paid for playing golf but I put 100% into every shot and every round for my own pride! respect for my partners and my club.
As David would say, it's a matter of "principal".
[quote][p][bold]greenscreener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry From Accrington[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Angry From Accrington[/bold] wrote: What a disgraceful comment from Simon Garner. These are highly paid professionals who have a duty to their supporters and to fellow professionals to play to the best of their ability and win every game. Is this an insight into the attitude that Simon and his team mates used to adopt in his playing days?[/p][/quote]I am also disappointed by those who have given a thumbs down without the courage of conviction to debate the point.[/p][/quote]Sorry Angry, I think it is a little naive to think that every footballer gives 100% in every game. Yes, that is what we would all like to think they do but the reality is that at the end of the season, when there is nothing to play for, players will not risk serious injury and will take their foot off the gas. It's not disgraceful, it's simply being honest and has been the reality for all the years I've followed the game. Garner is acknowledging that so far Rovers have not done that. There are many things surrounding BRFC worth getting angry about, this just isn't one of them.[/p][/quote]Which now makes me suspect whether we gave it everything today or did they believe that that had done just enough in the first half? I don't get paid for playing golf but I put 100% into every shot and every round for my own pride! respect for my partners and my club. As David would say, it's a matter of "principal". Angry From Accrington
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree