Lancashire TelegraphDouble boost: Trippier and Ings to return from injury and Marney back in squad (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Double boost: Trippier and Ings to return from injury and Marney back in squad

Lancashire Telegraph: Back – Kieran Trippier Back – Kieran Trippier

BURNLEY have welcomed a triple squad boost ahead of tonight’s game at relegation threatened Barnsley, with Danny Ings, Kieran Trippier and Dean Marney all in contention to start.

The Clarets were down to the bare bones at Watford on Saturday, with the trio and long-term casualty Sam Vokes all missing, while midfielder David Jones was withdrawn in the second half through illness.

But while manager Sean Dyche always knew he would have Marney available tonight, following the completion of the midfielder’s two-match ban, news of Trippier and top scorer Ings’ return to fitness is timely, while Jones is also available for selection.

“Tripps had another good weekend and has been on the grass all weekend so we’re considering him back in the group, and Ingsy has had another good few days on the grass so he comes back into consideration,” said Dyche.

Ings, who suffered an ankle injury in the 3-3 draw at Birmingham last month, was expected to be just behind Trippier on the comeback trail. The right back’s hamstring strain, picked up in the subsequent game against Leeds, was thought to have a quicker recovery time.

But Ings has made good progress in training to put him in Dyche’s thoughts for Barnsley.

“We’ve just been monitoring it through the specialists and the physio, and we ask him how he's feeling.

“He said ‘I’m feeling great’. He looks after himself anyway, which is always a good thing when players are injured.

“He’s been chomping at the bit, same with Kieran, so we’ve had to make sure because we’re going into an important part of the season. We couldn’t just throw people back in willy-nilly and risk them.

“So it’s good that he’s feeling good in his body and his mind, and he certainly is at the moment,” added Dyche, who is set to reunite Marney and Jones in midfield.

“It was a strange one with David, he just felt under the weather but he’s fine now,” he said. “And Dean Marney is back from suspension.”

After having to make do and mend, with Scott Arfield playing out of position at Watford, but still managing to conjure the equalising goal, Dyche admits he has been posed with selection problems given how well new signing Chris Baird has performed at right back in Trippier’s absence.

“I think there are a few (who have given selection headaches) and I think that’s a great position to be in,” said the Clarets boss.

“It’s been a funny two-week period where we got stretched to the max and had two games in that period, came out of it, and now all of a sudden it looks different again, it looks like players are coming back into the fold and all of a sudden we have got numbers. To have those three players – in a squad the size of ours three makes a big difference.

“Of course Sam Vokes is unfortunately longer term, but we are looking stronger and the great sign for me is that physically we look so strong again at an important time of the season.

“The players are willing to go harder and harder. They’re just relentless in what they’re achieving, physically. And if that’s right we’ve got the quality to back that up.”

But Dyche hinted that he would revert back to the players who instigated Burnley’s promotion push.

“Players keep laying down markers, but within that there are players who have done a fine job for a lot of games and I think there’s always that feeling towards the players who have done that because they’ve earned the right,” he said.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:51am Tue 8 Apr 14

McClaret says...

The news just keeps getting better. A win tonight and it averages at least 2 points per game for others to catch which is highly unlikely.
The news just keeps getting better. A win tonight and it averages at least 2 points per game for others to catch which is highly unlikely. McClaret
  • Score: 10

12:24pm Tue 8 Apr 14

TurfMoorTom says...

You're up now boys. Nothing can go wrong.
You're up now boys. Nothing can go wrong. TurfMoorTom
  • Score: -8

12:49pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Burnley59/60 says...

Now lets put Barnsley to the sword tonight UTC Longlive TOP FLIGHT Turfmoor
Now lets put Barnsley to the sword tonight UTC Longlive TOP FLIGHT Turfmoor Burnley59/60
  • Score: 8

1:34pm Tue 8 Apr 14

houseclaret says...

McClaret wrote:
The news just keeps getting better. A win tonight and it averages at least 2 points per game for others to catch which is highly unlikely.
Simples! A win tonight and a win for Rovers (bless 'em, I love them) and no win for Derby at Blackpool (they can have the draw, it don't matter) and we can have a full house on Saturday to get behind the lads with, hopefully some celebrations at the end. It works slightly in our favour that Rovers still have an outside chance of the play-offs (come on guys, you can do it) and Blackpool are desperate for survival points. If neither had anything to play for I would be slightly more concerned. On current form Rovers are more than capable of beating QPR and Blackpool have to raise their game anyway.
Could we be up by Saturday tea-time - dare to dream!!!
[quote][p][bold]McClaret[/bold] wrote: The news just keeps getting better. A win tonight and it averages at least 2 points per game for others to catch which is highly unlikely.[/p][/quote]Simples! A win tonight and a win for Rovers (bless 'em, I love them) and no win for Derby at Blackpool (they can have the draw, it don't matter) and we can have a full house on Saturday to get behind the lads with, hopefully some celebrations at the end. It works slightly in our favour that Rovers still have an outside chance of the play-offs (come on guys, you can do it) and Blackpool are desperate for survival points. If neither had anything to play for I would be slightly more concerned. On current form Rovers are more than capable of beating QPR and Blackpool have to raise their game anyway. Could we be up by Saturday tea-time - dare to dream!!! houseclaret
  • Score: 5

1:49pm Tue 8 Apr 14

FCBurnley says...

Tough game tonight at Barnsley where we never win ! However this season we have broken a host of records and a win at Barnsley is possible. I cannot see Ings starting tonight but expect him to be on the bench. trips I think is more likely to start but then SD has the problem of what to do with Baird who was excellent at Watford.. I think Marney will replace Edgar with Trips and Ings raring to go on the bench. Hopefully a nice draw at Ewood tonight !
Tough game tonight at Barnsley where we never win ! However this season we have broken a host of records and a win at Barnsley is possible. I cannot see Ings starting tonight but expect him to be on the bench. trips I think is more likely to start but then SD has the problem of what to do with Baird who was excellent at Watford.. I think Marney will replace Edgar with Trips and Ings raring to go on the bench. Hopefully a nice draw at Ewood tonight ! FCBurnley
  • Score: 3

2:36pm Tue 8 Apr 14

houseclaret says...

FCBurnley wrote:
Tough game tonight at Barnsley where we never win ! However this season we have broken a host of records and a win at Barnsley is possible. I cannot see Ings starting tonight but expect him to be on the bench. trips I think is more likely to start but then SD has the problem of what to do with Baird who was excellent at Watford.. I think Marney will replace Edgar with Trips and Ings raring to go on the bench. Hopefully a nice draw at Ewood tonight !
I am wary of our record at Barnsley. Don't think we have won there in the history of mankind. But records are meant to be broken and hopefully that will be tonight. Dyche has a real (and pleasant) headache tonight because, as you say, Baird has been great, but it's nice to know that we have now got cover. He would make a useful midfielder also.
Only thing I disagree with is I absolutely, definitely want Rovers to win tonight. My hatred of them is not so great that I wouldn't celebrate them winning and giving us a helping hand.
Wouldn't it be amazing if Dyche could use the last 4 games trying out one or two young lads (assuming Leicester's players don't all die and we suddenly have a chance of winning the thing).
[quote][p][bold]FCBurnley[/bold] wrote: Tough game tonight at Barnsley where we never win ! However this season we have broken a host of records and a win at Barnsley is possible. I cannot see Ings starting tonight but expect him to be on the bench. trips I think is more likely to start but then SD has the problem of what to do with Baird who was excellent at Watford.. I think Marney will replace Edgar with Trips and Ings raring to go on the bench. Hopefully a nice draw at Ewood tonight ![/p][/quote]I am wary of our record at Barnsley. Don't think we have won there in the history of mankind. But records are meant to be broken and hopefully that will be tonight. Dyche has a real (and pleasant) headache tonight because, as you say, Baird has been great, but it's nice to know that we have now got cover. He would make a useful midfielder also. Only thing I disagree with is I absolutely, definitely want Rovers to win tonight. My hatred of them is not so great that I wouldn't celebrate them winning and giving us a helping hand. Wouldn't it be amazing if Dyche could use the last 4 games trying out one or two young lads (assuming Leicester's players don't all die and we suddenly have a chance of winning the thing). houseclaret
  • Score: 1

2:50pm Tue 8 Apr 14

FCBurnley says...

houseclaret wrote:
FCBurnley wrote:
Tough game tonight at Barnsley where we never win ! However this season we have broken a host of records and a win at Barnsley is possible. I cannot see Ings starting tonight but expect him to be on the bench. trips I think is more likely to start but then SD has the problem of what to do with Baird who was excellent at Watford.. I think Marney will replace Edgar with Trips and Ings raring to go on the bench. Hopefully a nice draw at Ewood tonight !
I am wary of our record at Barnsley. Don't think we have won there in the history of mankind. But records are meant to be broken and hopefully that will be tonight. Dyche has a real (and pleasant) headache tonight because, as you say, Baird has been great, but it's nice to know that we have now got cover. He would make a useful midfielder also.
Only thing I disagree with is I absolutely, definitely want Rovers to win tonight. My hatred of them is not so great that I wouldn't celebrate them winning and giving us a helping hand.
Wouldn't it be amazing if Dyche could use the last 4 games trying out one or two young lads (assuming Leicester's players don't all die and we suddenly have a chance of winning the thing).
A point for QPR is no good to them and a point for Rovers virtually ends their season.
[quote][p][bold]houseclaret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FCBurnley[/bold] wrote: Tough game tonight at Barnsley where we never win ! However this season we have broken a host of records and a win at Barnsley is possible. I cannot see Ings starting tonight but expect him to be on the bench. trips I think is more likely to start but then SD has the problem of what to do with Baird who was excellent at Watford.. I think Marney will replace Edgar with Trips and Ings raring to go on the bench. Hopefully a nice draw at Ewood tonight ![/p][/quote]I am wary of our record at Barnsley. Don't think we have won there in the history of mankind. But records are meant to be broken and hopefully that will be tonight. Dyche has a real (and pleasant) headache tonight because, as you say, Baird has been great, but it's nice to know that we have now got cover. He would make a useful midfielder also. Only thing I disagree with is I absolutely, definitely want Rovers to win tonight. My hatred of them is not so great that I wouldn't celebrate them winning and giving us a helping hand. Wouldn't it be amazing if Dyche could use the last 4 games trying out one or two young lads (assuming Leicester's players don't all die and we suddenly have a chance of winning the thing).[/p][/quote]A point for QPR is no good to them and a point for Rovers virtually ends their season. FCBurnley
  • Score: 2

3:54pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Chris P Bacon says...

TurfMoorTom wrote:
You're up now boys. Nothing can go wrong.
Well you're obviously hoping your particular brand of jinkyness will act like the proverbial Jonah and drag Burnley down to your level. You'll be found sadly wanting on this.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: You're up now boys. Nothing can go wrong.[/p][/quote]Well you're obviously hoping your particular brand of jinkyness will act like the proverbial Jonah and drag Burnley down to your level. You'll be found sadly wanting on this. Chris P Bacon
  • Score: 5

4:09pm Tue 8 Apr 14

houseclaret says...

FCBurnley wrote:
houseclaret wrote:
FCBurnley wrote:
Tough game tonight at Barnsley where we never win ! However this season we have broken a host of records and a win at Barnsley is possible. I cannot see Ings starting tonight but expect him to be on the bench. trips I think is more likely to start but then SD has the problem of what to do with Baird who was excellent at Watford.. I think Marney will replace Edgar with Trips and Ings raring to go on the bench. Hopefully a nice draw at Ewood tonight !
I am wary of our record at Barnsley. Don't think we have won there in the history of mankind. But records are meant to be broken and hopefully that will be tonight. Dyche has a real (and pleasant) headache tonight because, as you say, Baird has been great, but it's nice to know that we have now got cover. He would make a useful midfielder also.
Only thing I disagree with is I absolutely, definitely want Rovers to win tonight. My hatred of them is not so great that I wouldn't celebrate them winning and giving us a helping hand.
Wouldn't it be amazing if Dyche could use the last 4 games trying out one or two young lads (assuming Leicester's players don't all die and we suddenly have a chance of winning the thing).
A point for QPR is no good to them and a point for Rovers virtually ends their season.
Actually, now you mention it, the goal difference would be enough to see us through if we win tonight and Saturday. For QPR to overtake us on goal difference our entire defence and Heaton would have to have a temporary lapse of sanity. It would be nice to visit Blackpool for a party with no pressure. Bring it on!!!
[quote][p][bold]FCBurnley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]houseclaret[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FCBurnley[/bold] wrote: Tough game tonight at Barnsley where we never win ! However this season we have broken a host of records and a win at Barnsley is possible. I cannot see Ings starting tonight but expect him to be on the bench. trips I think is more likely to start but then SD has the problem of what to do with Baird who was excellent at Watford.. I think Marney will replace Edgar with Trips and Ings raring to go on the bench. Hopefully a nice draw at Ewood tonight ![/p][/quote]I am wary of our record at Barnsley. Don't think we have won there in the history of mankind. But records are meant to be broken and hopefully that will be tonight. Dyche has a real (and pleasant) headache tonight because, as you say, Baird has been great, but it's nice to know that we have now got cover. He would make a useful midfielder also. Only thing I disagree with is I absolutely, definitely want Rovers to win tonight. My hatred of them is not so great that I wouldn't celebrate them winning and giving us a helping hand. Wouldn't it be amazing if Dyche could use the last 4 games trying out one or two young lads (assuming Leicester's players don't all die and we suddenly have a chance of winning the thing).[/p][/quote]A point for QPR is no good to them and a point for Rovers virtually ends their season.[/p][/quote]Actually, now you mention it, the goal difference would be enough to see us through if we win tonight and Saturday. For QPR to overtake us on goal difference our entire defence and Heaton would have to have a temporary lapse of sanity. It would be nice to visit Blackpool for a party with no pressure. Bring it on!!! houseclaret
  • Score: 3

5:23pm Tue 8 Apr 14

kfc yummy says...

TurfMoorTom wrote:
You're up now boys. Nothing can go wrong.
Your desperation knows no bounds,fake one.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: You're up now boys. Nothing can go wrong.[/p][/quote]Your desperation knows no bounds,fake one. kfc yummy
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree