DANNY Ings scored twice and could even afford to miss a penalty as Burnley moved back into second place in the Championship table.

The Clarets fell behind to a Martyn Woolford goal at Turf Moor but Ings struck a brace and Dean Marney also found the net as Sean Dyche’s side climbed back into the automatic promotion spots, with QPR travelling to Derby on Monday.

Burnley went close to the opening goal as Sam Vokes headed Michael Kightly’s cross narrowly off target.

But they were behind in the 27th minute when Lee Martin floated a deep free kick into the box and Michael Duff’s header could only find Woolford on the edge of the area.

The midfielder instantly lashed the ball past Tom Heaton into the bottom corner.

But Millwall’s lead lasted only two minutes as Kightly nodded the ball into the path of Ings, who smartly turned and fired left footed into the net with the aid of the merest of deflections.

The Clarets then pushed for a second goal at the end of the first half and Ings’ effort was deflected narrowly over by Shaun Williams after Vokes had dummied a pass from Scott Arfield.

The hosts had a penalty on 45 minutes as Jimmy Abdou felled Ings in the box, only for the Clarets striker to see his spot kick saved by Stephen Bywater.

Burnley did not have to wait long to get the goal they had been seeking, however, as Arfield pulled the ball back in first-half stoppage time and Marney rifled a fine left-footed effort into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

It was 3-1 in the 62nd minute as Ings scored his second of the game, chasing on to Kieran Trippier’s long pass and controlling superbly before poking the ball past Bywater. It took Ings’ tally for the season to 24 goals.

Heaton had to turn Ryan Fredericks’ deflected cross on to the bar in windy conditions as Millwall looked for a way back into the game with four strikers on the field.

But Burnley were otherwise comfortable and could have extended their lead late on when Bywater had to tip Kightly’s effort wide, before the keeper kept out a free kick from substitute Junior Stanislas.

Burnley: Tom Heaton; Kieran Trippier, Michael Duff, Jason Shackell, Ben Mee; Michael Kightly, Dean Marney, David Jones, Scott Arfield (Junior Stanislas 84); Danny Ings (Ross Wallace 88), Sam Vokes (Ashley Barnes 75). Subs not used: Alex Cisak, Kevin Long, David Edgar, Keith Treacy.

Millwall: Stephen Bywater; Ryan Fredericks, Paul Robinson, Shaun Williams, Scott Malone; Steve Morison, Ed Upson (Scott McDonald 68), Martyn Woolford, Jimmy Abdou (Richard Chaplow 75), Lee Martin (Simeon Jackson 55); DJ Campbell. Subs not used: Denzel Gerrar, Alan Dunne, Liam Feeney, Jermaine Easter.

Referee: Keith Stroud.

Attendance: 11,502 (away 356).