When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Burnley boss in no rush over Ings deal
1:42pm Tuesday 1st October 2013 in Football
SEAN Dyche says Burnley will bide their time before entering talks with Danny Ings over an extended deal – with the club reluctant to distract the striker from his current fine form.
Ings goes into tonight’s match at Doncaster Rovers hoping to help the Clarets move top of the Championship table with victory, having already netted 10 goals this season.
The 21-year-old is now approaching a similar situation to Charlie Austin last term and Jay Rodriguez a year earlier. Like Ings, both had less than two years left on their contract.
Their scoring form began to attract interest from elsewhere, eventually resulting in their departures at the end of the season.
But Dyche says neither he or Ings feel the need to take their focus away from the Clarets’ fantastic form to talk about contracts at this stage.
“I’m not even worried about that and I don’t think Danny is,” said the Burnley boss.
“We’re getting on with what we do and Danny is getting on with what he does, which is enjoying his football, so that’s all for another day.
“We’ve got no interest in overthinking that at the moment.
“Our interest is keeping people’s eye on the ball and keeping them going, improving, learning and playing for the football club.”
Dyche previously admitted that contract talks proved a distraction for a number of his squad in the closing stages of last season.
Ings has formed an impressive partnership with Sam Vokes this term but Dyche is still on the look-out for loan signings, knowing he could be short of cover if either of his strikers picked up an injury.
“Absolutely, it’s an ongoing process,” he said. “I’m thinking that finance won’t be there for actual signings, I know the window’s closed until Christmas but what I mean is you can build things in with a view to signing.
“But the loan market is a definite. We are monitoring it, there have been many targets we’ve been looking at and a few we’ve actually gone for.
“It’s not just finance, sometimes it is just circumstances that a player can’t come out, the club might have an injury in their camp or whatever.
“We’ve been close and unfortunate with a couple but it always continues because we want to give the group support.”
Burnley’s in-form strike force will go head to head tonight with Federico Macheda, who has scored three goals in two games since joining Doncaster on loan from Manchester United.
A number of Championship clubs expressed their interest in Macheda before new Doncaster boss Paul Dickov lured him to the Keepmoat Stadium, with Dyche admitting he has run the rule over a range of strikers.
“There are so many we’ve looked at, we’re not in the market to overlook anyone,” he said.
“Macheda has gone in and scored a couple for them and Donny have made a decent start.
“But there’s a feel good factor to the group, the club and the town here.
“It’s fair to say that the people of Burnley are enjoying what’s going on and long may that continue.
“A lot has been made of the fitness level of the group and how we’ve improved that side of things, but I think some of the play has been excellent.
“The second goal on Saturday was fantastic.”
Comments are closed on this article.