Lancashire TelegraphRibblesdale League votes for expansion (From Lancashire Telegraph)

When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Ribblesdale League votes for expansion

The Ribblesdale League will have a new look for 2013 after clubs last night voted to expand their competition.

With two new clubs voted in and the possibility of more to follow, the league's expansion will lead to a two-tier top flight in 2014.

A special general meeting took place and the ambitious plans to expand were carried.

Euxton were accepted into the league two months ago and the league committee has also accepted the application of Brooksbottom CC from Summerseat.

There may still be other clubs added but the plan at this stage is for each of the 20 clubs to play each other once in 2013 before the league is split into two divisions for 2014.

There will be more on this story in Monday's Lancashire Telegraph

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:30pm Sat 14 Apr 12

red rose says...

The beginning of the end.How many players have been consulted by their clubs about this ? Has a new grounds committee been formed to vet the clubs ? It appears from rumours that clubs have been promised a place with out the clubs consent.Poaching has also been rumoured.One or two ego tripping bodies are deciding the fate of others without consent.Seaon before last Clitheroe would have been in a spot of bother.Ossie Settle Edenfield and Salesbury would drop down based on last season.They then become even weaker as the better players leave the sinking ship.Those coming up wont be strong enough as new teams have proved when admitted previously.Could be some good players on the move when it is implemented and then the recently improved standarsd will fall away back to a second/third rate league.Be some good players looking for Lancs League clubs and the better ones off inn search of a few rupees elsewhere.
The beginning of the end.How many players have been consulted by their clubs about this ? Has a new grounds committee been formed to vet the clubs ? It appears from rumours that clubs have been promised a place with out the clubs consent.Poaching has also been rumoured.One or two ego tripping bodies are deciding the fate of others without consent.Seaon before last Clitheroe would have been in a spot of bother.Ossie Settle Edenfield and Salesbury would drop down based on last season.They then become even weaker as the better players leave the sinking ship.Those coming up wont be strong enough as new teams have proved when admitted previously.Could be some good players on the move when it is implemented and then the recently improved standarsd will fall away back to a second/third rate league.Be some good players looking for Lancs League clubs and the better ones off inn search of a few rupees elsewhere. red rose
  • Score: 0

9:34am Sun 15 Apr 12

Colneunitedfc says...

Yawn!!!As a former Lancs league player and Ribblesdale league player I applaud the leagues decision. The standard of cricket in this area is rapidly decreasing, crowds are not watching and something needs to be done. The lancs league needs to look at something similar. I would suggest getting rid of professionals full stop as well. Let this be a great league to blood amateurs to first class cricket. Who wants to see a Pakistani professional who reepresented their Under 19's once in 1997 taking up important club funds and bowling 25 overs from one end. Times change and well done the Ribblesdale league for embracing this
Yawn!!!As a former Lancs league player and Ribblesdale league player I applaud the leagues decision. The standard of cricket in this area is rapidly decreasing, crowds are not watching and something needs to be done. The lancs league needs to look at something similar. I would suggest getting rid of professionals full stop as well. Let this be a great league to blood amateurs to first class cricket. Who wants to see a Pakistani professional who reepresented their Under 19's once in 1997 taking up important club funds and bowling 25 overs from one end. Times change and well done the Ribblesdale league for embracing this Colneunitedfc
  • Score: 0

12:40pm Sun 15 Apr 12

red rose says...

Obviuosly you are as thick as two short planks. The redeuction in income from less games will affect one club that has voiced concerns by about £5K minimum,also if you take any proper nnotice the clubs with the better overseas pro,s always have done and always will draw in the crowds,not in the same way as they used to,admittedly,but ask Ribb Wanders where are the crowds that used to watch Nawaz,Read- Sleepy,I could go on.Wake up and smell the coffee my friend Bolld amateurs the kids arnt keen enough to my other options,Seedle,Fallo
n,Holdsworth Whalley,Metcalf,Bush
ell, all fall into the catogory of the better players in their teams all well past 40,even 50,same in Lancs League,Pearson,Rosco
e etc i could go on.Get rid of pro's and shut up shop altogether great idea.Something tells me the funds would dry up rather rapidly,even faster than the Under 19 year old who probably drew more cash in than he took out knowing the kind of money they cost.Any more ideas to kill of the game any quicker than it is currently eroding away at.
Obviuosly you are as thick as two short planks. The redeuction in income from less games will affect one club that has voiced concerns by about £5K minimum,also if you take any proper nnotice the clubs with the better overseas pro,s always have done and always will draw in the crowds,not in the same way as they used to,admittedly,but ask Ribb Wanders where are the crowds that used to watch Nawaz,Read- Sleepy,I could go on.Wake up and smell the coffee my friend Bolld amateurs the kids arnt keen enough to my other options,Seedle,Fallo n,Holdsworth Whalley,Metcalf,Bush ell, all fall into the catogory of the better players in their teams all well past 40,even 50,same in Lancs League,Pearson,Rosco e etc i could go on.Get rid of pro's and shut up shop altogether great idea.Something tells me the funds would dry up rather rapidly,even faster than the Under 19 year old who probably drew more cash in than he took out knowing the kind of money they cost.Any more ideas to kill of the game any quicker than it is currently eroding away at. red rose
  • Score: 0

4:56pm Sun 15 Apr 12

Turton Chap says...

It may work, but 12 good quality teams are needed in both divisions, otherwise clubs will start to drift away. If enough clubs become unhappy the Nothern League could benefit as they need two divisions to become a proper Premier League.
Was this a two thirds or a majority vote?
It may work, but 12 good quality teams are needed in both divisions, otherwise clubs will start to drift away. If enough clubs become unhappy the Nothern League could benefit as they need two divisions to become a proper Premier League. Was this a two thirds or a majority vote? Turton Chap
  • Score: 0

10:39pm Sun 15 Apr 12

Gerard Metcalf says...

Ludicrous.
Junior League has major fundamental problems due to teams folding so solution is to completely restructure the Senior League.
Under these proposals Feniscowles are promoted 2 divisions before a ball is bowled.
Railroaded through without enough time for clubs to fully discuss, and if same protocol regarding AGM’s applied with regard to timescale for proposals and amendments etc possibly against league rules, although the rules are such a shambles that they do not cover such a situation?
Has anyone also considered any Exit Strategy if a couple of clubs fold as result of relegation, as Northern did, or alternatively the stronger clubs move to another league due to reduced number of games? Possibly the league could then end up with the same number of teams as at present, what happens then?
Ludicrous. Junior League has major fundamental problems due to teams folding so solution is to completely restructure the Senior League. Under these proposals Feniscowles are promoted 2 divisions before a ball is bowled. Railroaded through without enough time for clubs to fully discuss, and if same protocol regarding AGM’s applied with regard to timescale for proposals and amendments etc possibly against league rules, although the rules are such a shambles that they do not cover such a situation? Has anyone also considered any Exit Strategy if a couple of clubs fold as result of relegation, as Northern did, or alternatively the stronger clubs move to another league due to reduced number of games? Possibly the league could then end up with the same number of teams as at present, what happens then? Gerard Metcalf
  • Score: 0

9:50am Mon 16 Apr 12

red rose says...

Here here,
Well said,completley agree.The club reps have not had time to reflect the situation to their clubs and the ego trippers have railroaded it through as quick as they could before people had chance to think/discuss/plan any other options.
Here here, Well said,completley agree.The club reps have not had time to reflect the situation to their clubs and the ego trippers have railroaded it through as quick as they could before people had chance to think/discuss/plan any other options. red rose
  • Score: 0

3:45pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Colneunitedfc says...

Please don't comment about me being as thick as two short planks, when you mis-spell two words on your opening line!!!
Let me guess, you are over 50 and set in your traditional ways red rose!! Just such a typical comment from a non-player. Why not talk to the players who play every week. You make an interesting comment about older players playing an important role at clubs. This is because younger people are being pushed out by cricket not moving with the times. Lancashire League introducing bank holiday fixtures. The game is no longer accessible for younger people and dwindling crowds should bring home the importance that times need to change. Relegation/promotion makes for an exciting league and gets rid of a lot of dead rubber games. You say a club is losing £5000, then that money can be saved by doing away with professionals and increasing revenues at the gates. Good on the Ribblesdale League and I hope the Lancashire League follow suit and ignore all these traditional fans who live in the 50's and 60's. It is also a ridiculous comment to suggest that players will jump ship if they are relegated any more than if they would if they were constantly bottom of the league. Again, look to successful examples of this in County cricket. I am sure our England captain has played lots of games in Division 2.
Less games equals a better standard of cricket - FACT. Players are giving up because of the constraints of 'double headers, pointless lancashire cup games and now bank holiday cricket in the Lancs League.
Please don't comment about me being as thick as two short planks, when you mis-spell two words on your opening line!!! Let me guess, you are over 50 and set in your traditional ways red rose!! Just such a typical comment from a non-player. Why not talk to the players who play every week. You make an interesting comment about older players playing an important role at clubs. This is because younger people are being pushed out by cricket not moving with the times. Lancashire League introducing bank holiday fixtures. The game is no longer accessible for younger people and dwindling crowds should bring home the importance that times need to change. Relegation/promotion makes for an exciting league and gets rid of a lot of dead rubber games. You say a club is losing £5000, then that money can be saved by doing away with professionals and increasing revenues at the gates. Good on the Ribblesdale League and I hope the Lancashire League follow suit and ignore all these traditional fans who live in the 50's and 60's. It is also a ridiculous comment to suggest that players will jump ship if they are relegated any more than if they would if they were constantly bottom of the league. Again, look to successful examples of this in County cricket. I am sure our England captain has played lots of games in Division 2. Less games equals a better standard of cricket - FACT. Players are giving up because of the constraints of 'double headers, pointless lancashire cup games and now bank holiday cricket in the Lancs League. Colneunitedfc
  • Score: 0

5:02pm Mon 16 Apr 12

red rose says...

Fact. Younger players are not as dedicated and are ruled by wives/partners more than the older end who would play double headers every week given the chance.Fact. Traditonal fans are the main stay of most clubs,not many young lads watching since the relaxation in drinking laws.Cricket Clubs used to be one of few places you could get a drink.Fact.Doing away with pro's would reduce gates .not increase them people pay to be entertained.Fact. I am under fifty have played and served three clubs well and improved stature and finance whilst involved.Fact.Youngs
ters have no commitment as in previous generations (there are exceptions).Fact. I talk to players most days of the week, Lancs, Ribb,Bolton, Central Lancs,Northern and Aire and Wharf Leagues.Fact.Standar
ds are dropping,David Pearson,quality player scoring as many runs when almost fifty than when in his prime.Roscoe still taking buckets of wickets,need I go on.As mentioned by previous replies the better clubs will go to the second divison of the Northern League. Any one confirm rumours of Darwen and Longridge being "promised" a Ribb League place on provison that its all clubs play each other once and the top clubs make up the senior league.SUCH LOYALITY TO THE LONGSTANDING MEMBER CLUBS.Its a shambles and has been done a rushed and ubder hand manner.
Fact. Younger players are not as dedicated and are ruled by wives/partners more than the older end who would play double headers every week given the chance.Fact. Traditonal fans are the main stay of most clubs,not many young lads watching since the relaxation in drinking laws.Cricket Clubs used to be one of few places you could get a drink.Fact.Doing away with pro's would reduce gates .not increase them people pay to be entertained.Fact. I am under fifty have played and served three clubs well and improved stature and finance whilst involved.Fact.Youngs ters have no commitment as in previous generations (there are exceptions).Fact. I talk to players most days of the week, Lancs, Ribb,Bolton, Central Lancs,Northern and Aire and Wharf Leagues.Fact.Standar ds are dropping,David Pearson,quality player scoring as many runs when almost fifty than when in his prime.Roscoe still taking buckets of wickets,need I go on.As mentioned by previous replies the better clubs will go to the second divison of the Northern League. Any one confirm rumours of Darwen and Longridge being "promised" a Ribb League place on provison that its all clubs play each other once and the top clubs make up the senior league.SUCH LOYALITY TO THE LONGSTANDING MEMBER CLUBS.Its a shambles and has been done a rushed and ubder hand manner. red rose
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Pinch Hitter says...

Hardly one to ‘cast the first stone’ mate, your own posts are not without spelling errors.

But before this gets turned into a debate on who is the thicker of the short planks why is it a ridiculous comment that players will leave if a club is relegated? The only recent example of this occurring was 3 years ago when Blackburn Northern were demoted a division and that is exactly what happened, resulting in the club folding before the start of the following season.

Neither do I see the logic in the idea that less cricket improves standards and think the comparisons between the first class game and the Ribblesdale League are completely irrelevant.

This decision has left the Ribblesdale League at a crucial crossroads in its history. The proof of the pudding will depend upon the number and quality of other clubs who decide to join and could go either way. Unless a good number of additional clubs can be recruited very quickly I can see some very dark days ahead.
Finally congratulations to my old mate Chucker on his opening day performance.
Hardly one to ‘cast the first stone’ mate, your own posts are not without spelling errors. But before this gets turned into a debate on who is the thicker of the short planks why is it a ridiculous comment that players will leave if a club is relegated? The only recent example of this occurring was 3 years ago when Blackburn Northern were demoted a division and that is exactly what happened, resulting in the club folding before the start of the following season. Neither do I see the logic in the idea that less cricket improves standards and think the comparisons between the first class game and the Ribblesdale League are completely irrelevant. This decision has left the Ribblesdale League at a crucial crossroads in its history. The proof of the pudding will depend upon the number and quality of other clubs who decide to join and could go either way. Unless a good number of additional clubs can be recruited very quickly I can see some very dark days ahead. Finally congratulations to my old mate Chucker on his opening day performance. Pinch Hitter
  • Score: 0

8:23pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Colneunitedfc says...

Not casting the first stone, just don't like being described as thick as two short planks for making constructive comments.
Think it was very different with Blackburn Northern, and this possibly had to do with the culture of the players involved with that specific club.
The logic that less cricket improves standards is surely not that hard to understand. I know lots of players (myself included) who left the Lancashire League because of the demands of double headers. Many Ribblesdale league cricketers only play one game per weekend. Take away the meaningless games and you have a better standard of cricket instead of filling these games with second teamers. It frustrated me as a player how people like yourselves are so dead set against change. Times change, in years gone by children and wives sat patiently all day whilst their husbands played cricket. My children are involved in cricket, football, swimming and dancing all in one weekend. Therefore I, like many others have had to make family decisions. That's why less cricket = better standard.

The fact is that changes need to be made to stop the 'dark days ahead' coloured clothing, 20/20's, paid amateurs, relegation and promotion are all aspects that need to be considered
Not casting the first stone, just don't like being described as thick as two short planks for making constructive comments. Think it was very different with Blackburn Northern, and this possibly had to do with the culture of the players involved with that specific club. The logic that less cricket improves standards is surely not that hard to understand. I know lots of players (myself included) who left the Lancashire League because of the demands of double headers. Many Ribblesdale league cricketers only play one game per weekend. Take away the meaningless games and you have a better standard of cricket instead of filling these games with second teamers. It frustrated me as a player how people like yourselves are so dead set against change. Times change, in years gone by children and wives sat patiently all day whilst their husbands played cricket. My children are involved in cricket, football, swimming and dancing all in one weekend. Therefore I, like many others have had to make family decisions. That's why less cricket = better standard. The fact is that changes need to be made to stop the 'dark days ahead' coloured clothing, 20/20's, paid amateurs, relegation and promotion are all aspects that need to be considered Colneunitedfc
  • Score: 0

8:45pm Mon 16 Apr 12

The Curator says...

Some interesting debate here peeps .
In my view all that was required was a little promotion and relegation introducing to and from the senior league ,surely we can all agree on that .This being according to pre agreed standards being met . This way every club finds the correct level , rather than forced possibly into something they may not want . Obviously clubs 1sts and 2nds not to play each other .
Each new club application should be viewed on it's individual merit ,but initially joining the second tier with a certain chance of promotion .
All this seems to be leaning more towards those looking to join ,than the existing long serving clubs .
Why on earth someone who has a history of playing Lancs league cricket as above would suggest scraping pro's is beyond me . I hardly need to list the many fine pro's to grace the Lancs league ,who i am sure did wonders for bar takings and general interest in the clubs .
Some change was required but this is a crackpot plan and am struggling to see how it got passed .
Good luck to all for the new season .
CHEERS
Some interesting debate here peeps . In my view all that was required was a little promotion and relegation introducing to and from the senior league ,surely we can all agree on that .This being according to pre agreed standards being met . This way every club finds the correct level , rather than forced possibly into something they may not want . Obviously clubs 1sts and 2nds not to play each other . Each new club application should be viewed on it's individual merit ,but initially joining the second tier with a certain chance of promotion . All this seems to be leaning more towards those looking to join ,than the existing long serving clubs . Why on earth someone who has a history of playing Lancs league cricket as above would suggest scraping pro's is beyond me . I hardly need to list the many fine pro's to grace the Lancs league ,who i am sure did wonders for bar takings and general interest in the clubs . Some change was required but this is a crackpot plan and am struggling to see how it got passed . Good luck to all for the new season . CHEERS The Curator
  • Score: 0

9:02pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Colneunitedfc says...

"Years gone by" is why I suggest scrapping professionals. I was lucky enough to play against professionals like Cairns, Donald, Gillespie amongst other top players. This no longer happens, through test contracts. the standard of Ribblesdale league professionals is very poor. These eat into club funds. Just look at how many english professionals in the Lancs league in last few years. Unheard of in years gone by..... Lots of young talented players are not getting chances. How can a young talented amateur expect a bowl at Rawtenstall with a professional and Kes at either side. I believe it would make a far more entertaining game without professionals. Would it really affect people watching??? Who genuinely watches cricket because of the professional nowadays????
"Years gone by" is why I suggest scrapping professionals. I was lucky enough to play against professionals like Cairns, Donald, Gillespie amongst other top players. This no longer happens, through test contracts. the standard of Ribblesdale league professionals is very poor. These eat into club funds. Just look at how many english professionals in the Lancs league in last few years. Unheard of in years gone by..... Lots of young talented players are not getting chances. How can a young talented amateur expect a bowl at Rawtenstall with a professional and Kes at either side. I believe it would make a far more entertaining game without professionals. Would it really affect people watching??? Who genuinely watches cricket because of the professional nowadays???? Colneunitedfc
  • Score: 0

9:35pm Mon 16 Apr 12

red rose says...

Thats a brave statement "The standard of Ribb league pro's is very poor".
Bobby Naeem, Ali Azmat,KamranYounas,S
yed Shabuddin,Jaffar Nazir last year alone.Ask oanyone who played with/against if they are very poor.Paul Turner an English pro is probably the best "shamuter" in both Ribb and Lancs league by a mile.Boom from Settle is good enough for Hassy this year.Ask Padiham how very poor Saddique was.A very knowledgable cricket fan told me he saw the "most entertaining pro since Collis King play for Whalley.he was called Sathish He must have been very poor as well to turn out on a regular basis for Mumbia Indians with the likes of Tendulkar. On another point if the youngsters where good enough they would displace the likes of Kez Roscoe.
Thats a brave statement "The standard of Ribb league pro's is very poor". Bobby Naeem, Ali Azmat,KamranYounas,S yed Shabuddin,Jaffar Nazir last year alone.Ask oanyone who played with/against if they are very poor.Paul Turner an English pro is probably the best "shamuter" in both Ribb and Lancs league by a mile.Boom from Settle is good enough for Hassy this year.Ask Padiham how very poor Saddique was.A very knowledgable cricket fan told me he saw the "most entertaining pro since Collis King play for Whalley.he was called Sathish He must have been very poor as well to turn out on a regular basis for Mumbia Indians with the likes of Tendulkar. On another point if the youngsters where good enough they would displace the likes of Kez Roscoe. red rose
  • Score: 0

10:10pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Colneunitedfc says...

Are you having a laugh?????
Mumbai Indians!!!! Think you summed my point up exactly. A bunch of nobodies .... No Test cricketers, no Aussies with a fiery temper, no West Indians who smash a ball to the moon. Who would honestly come out of their way to watch these? Not doubting they are good cricketers in their own rights, but hardly crowd pullers!!!!!
Are you having a laugh????? Mumbai Indians!!!! Think you summed my point up exactly. A bunch of nobodies .... No Test cricketers, no Aussies with a fiery temper, no West Indians who smash a ball to the moon. Who would honestly come out of their way to watch these? Not doubting they are good cricketers in their own rights, but hardly crowd pullers!!!!! Colneunitedfc
  • Score: 0

1:13pm Tue 17 Apr 12

rishto says...

Dont want to get involved with arguing about new league set up but will say this about pros, certainly at bash majority come to support bash because of bash players and its who they know from round the village etc i think we would have same crowds without a pro give or take a few, i do think however if pros ended players would be affected more and may lose interest and switch leagues as they can learn a lot off certain pros . i always found playing with a pro and overseas as was the case a great experience .
Dont want to get involved with arguing about new league set up but will say this about pros, certainly at bash majority come to support bash because of bash players and its who they know from round the village etc i think we would have same crowds without a pro give or take a few, i do think however if pros ended players would be affected more and may lose interest and switch leagues as they can learn a lot off certain pros . i always found playing with a pro and overseas as was the case a great experience . rishto
  • Score: 0

2:20pm Tue 17 Apr 12

red rose says...

Getting off the path here ,the Ribb League will be moaning if one or two decide to "play themat their own game".Runours have started that some clubs may apply elsewhere in view of shambles currently being planned. One informant tells me the abacus wasnt working properly on Friday at the meeting - allegedly.
Getting off the path here ,the Ribb League will be moaning if one or two decide to "play themat their own game".Runours have started that some clubs may apply elsewhere in view of shambles currently being planned. One informant tells me the abacus wasnt working properly on Friday at the meeting - allegedly. red rose
  • Score: 0

6:53pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Cornwall 21 says...

Don't know where Red rose gets his info from but how can an open vote be wrong?
Don't know where Red rose gets his info from but how can an open vote be wrong? Cornwall 21
  • Score: 0

8:06am Wed 18 Apr 12

Pinch Hitter says...

Interesting conspiracy theory from Red Rose.

Whilst not having a clue if there is any substance to this I must admit I was amazed when this was passed. From speaking to a good cross section of people associated with clubs and watching with interest the discussions on Twitter and other social networks there did appear to be overwhelming support against.

Would be interesting to know the breakdown of the votes cast by the electoral college. For the sake of transparency would the League Secretary be willing to go public with this information?

PS. For what it’s worth I reckon it was either Arthur Shaw on the grassy knoll or Brian Hopwood behind the Book Depository!
Interesting conspiracy theory from Red Rose. Whilst not having a clue if there is any substance to this I must admit I was amazed when this was passed. From speaking to a good cross section of people associated with clubs and watching with interest the discussions on Twitter and other social networks there did appear to be overwhelming support against. Would be interesting to know the breakdown of the votes cast by the electoral college. For the sake of transparency would the League Secretary be willing to go public with this information? PS. For what it’s worth I reckon it was either Arthur Shaw on the grassy knoll or Brian Hopwood behind the Book Depository! Pinch Hitter
  • Score: 0

8:59am Wed 18 Apr 12

Garther says...

So twenty teams from next year? So currently are we to assume the additional six teams are Burnley Belvedere, Brinscall, Fenniscowles (can't get out of division two), Stacksteads, Euxton and Brooksbottom? How does this improve the standard of senior league cricket? No disrespect to these clubs but they are no where near. My club voted against which as far as i can tell s the general consensus of the players but we were never asked. How many other clubs put this to the people it affects most of all???
So twenty teams from next year? So currently are we to assume the additional six teams are Burnley Belvedere, Brinscall, Fenniscowles (can't get out of division two), Stacksteads, Euxton and Brooksbottom? How does this improve the standard of senior league cricket? No disrespect to these clubs but they are no where near. My club voted against which as far as i can tell s the general consensus of the players but we were never asked. How many other clubs put this to the people it affects most of all??? Garther
  • Score: 0

9:27am Wed 18 Apr 12

Pinch Hitter says...

Which club are you with Garther?
Which club are you with Garther? Pinch Hitter
  • Score: 0

9:52am Wed 18 Apr 12

HecticBigBoy says...

Garther wrote:
So twenty teams from next year? So currently are we to assume the additional six teams are Burnley Belvedere, Brinscall, Fenniscowles (can't get out of division two), Stacksteads, Euxton and Brooksbottom? How does this improve the standard of senior league cricket? No disrespect to these clubs but they are no where near. My club voted against which as far as i can tell s the general consensus of the players but we were never asked. How many other clubs put this to the people it affects most of all???
Fully agree Garther, within a short period of time i suspect that the top few teams will be looking elsewhere for their cricket, and the top few teams of the second tier will enter a merry-go-round of promotion and relegation from the newly formed 2nd division. The new format will only work if there are several new clubs of a good standard, with good wickets and facilities entering the league, not making numbers up with teams that are no-where near the standard, on basically park pitches or outfields that serve as footy pitches in winter (sorry Belvedere), Players weren't consulted and it reeks of an idea from the executive being pushed through, without adequate time for discussion, thought or explanation.
[quote][p][bold]Garther[/bold] wrote: So twenty teams from next year? So currently are we to assume the additional six teams are Burnley Belvedere, Brinscall, Fenniscowles (can't get out of division two), Stacksteads, Euxton and Brooksbottom? How does this improve the standard of senior league cricket? No disrespect to these clubs but they are no where near. My club voted against which as far as i can tell s the general consensus of the players but we were never asked. How many other clubs put this to the people it affects most of all???[/p][/quote]Fully agree Garther, within a short period of time i suspect that the top few teams will be looking elsewhere for their cricket, and the top few teams of the second tier will enter a merry-go-round of promotion and relegation from the newly formed 2nd division. The new format will only work if there are several new clubs of a good standard, with good wickets and facilities entering the league, not making numbers up with teams that are no-where near the standard, on basically park pitches or outfields that serve as footy pitches in winter (sorry Belvedere), Players weren't consulted and it reeks of an idea from the executive being pushed through, without adequate time for discussion, thought or explanation. HecticBigBoy
  • Score: 0

1:47pm Wed 18 Apr 12

The Snake says...

Peeps

There is a defo a few dinosaurs on here. Why cant people embrace change and move on with the times. I admit that it has been pushed through fairly quick but surely the league must be applauded for being pro-active. It sounds to me that people are happy to finish bottom and second bottom year in and year out. By having promotion and relegation in place surely it will give these teams something to play for?. Do we know for definite the other 4 teams or are people being presumptious?. Other leagues will defo have to look at implementing changes or Cricket like the dinosaurs on here will become extinct.
Peeps There is a defo a few dinosaurs on here. Why cant people embrace change and move on with the times. I admit that it has been pushed through fairly quick but surely the league must be applauded for being pro-active. It sounds to me that people are happy to finish bottom and second bottom year in and year out. By having promotion and relegation in place surely it will give these teams something to play for?. Do we know for definite the other 4 teams or are people being presumptious?. Other leagues will defo have to look at implementing changes or Cricket like the dinosaurs on here will become extinct. The Snake
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Wed 18 Apr 12

Stu Maher says...

HecticBigBoy wrote:
Garther wrote:
So twenty teams from next year? So currently are we to assume the additional six teams are Burnley Belvedere, Brinscall, Fenniscowles (can't get out of division two), Stacksteads, Euxton and Brooksbottom? How does this improve the standard of senior league cricket? No disrespect to these clubs but they are no where near. My club voted against which as far as i can tell s the general consensus of the players but we were never asked. How many other clubs put this to the people it affects most of all???
Fully agree Garther, within a short period of time i suspect that the top few teams will be looking elsewhere for their cricket, and the top few teams of the second tier will enter a merry-go-round of promotion and relegation from the newly formed 2nd division. The new format will only work if there are several new clubs of a good standard, with good wickets and facilities entering the league, not making numbers up with teams that are no-where near the standard, on basically park pitches or outfields that serve as footy pitches in winter (sorry Belvedere), Players weren't consulted and it reeks of an idea from the executive being pushed through, without adequate time for discussion, thought or explanation.
Seems a daft suggestion that its been rushed through, when the League voted (by majority) in November 2011 to move to 2 divisions with promotion and relegation. This latest vote was how to get to that agreed structure, which again was passed by majority.

The idea of 2 divisions itself has been on the table since 2007 - plenty of time for debate I would say!

Many players will not have showed interest in their clubs until very recently when the season fast approaches. That is not the clubs' faults, more with the players in my view.

I also dont see all the panic! at the moment 20 clubs are in and in 2014 there will be 2 divs of 10.

But its not restricted to 20 teams. If there is more than 20 teams, the clubs again have the ability to set how many teams in the top division and second division. If one more club joins, that will be 21, so that is again up for discussion and vote.

That might result in a div 1 of 14 teams (as is now) and a div 2 of 7 teams!!!

If there was 24, or 26 by 2014, Division 1 may still actually have 14 teams and div 2 have 10 or 12 teams.

in the words of Corporal Jones from Dad's Army - DONT PANIC!!
[quote][p][bold]HecticBigBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garther[/bold] wrote: So twenty teams from next year? So currently are we to assume the additional six teams are Burnley Belvedere, Brinscall, Fenniscowles (can't get out of division two), Stacksteads, Euxton and Brooksbottom? How does this improve the standard of senior league cricket? No disrespect to these clubs but they are no where near. My club voted against which as far as i can tell s the general consensus of the players but we were never asked. How many other clubs put this to the people it affects most of all???[/p][/quote]Fully agree Garther, within a short period of time i suspect that the top few teams will be looking elsewhere for their cricket, and the top few teams of the second tier will enter a merry-go-round of promotion and relegation from the newly formed 2nd division. The new format will only work if there are several new clubs of a good standard, with good wickets and facilities entering the league, not making numbers up with teams that are no-where near the standard, on basically park pitches or outfields that serve as footy pitches in winter (sorry Belvedere), Players weren't consulted and it reeks of an idea from the executive being pushed through, without adequate time for discussion, thought or explanation.[/p][/quote]Seems a daft suggestion that its been rushed through, when the League voted (by majority) in November 2011 to move to 2 divisions with promotion and relegation. This latest vote was how to get to that agreed structure, which again was passed by majority. The idea of 2 divisions itself has been on the table since 2007 - plenty of time for debate I would say! Many players will not have showed interest in their clubs until very recently when the season fast approaches. That is not the clubs' faults, more with the players in my view. I also dont see all the panic! at the moment 20 clubs are in and in 2014 there will be 2 divs of 10. But its not restricted to 20 teams. If there is more than 20 teams, the clubs again have the ability to set how many teams in the top division and second division. If one more club joins, that will be 21, so that is again up for discussion and vote. That might result in a div 1 of 14 teams (as is now) and a div 2 of 7 teams!!! If there was 24, or 26 by 2014, Division 1 may still actually have 14 teams and div 2 have 10 or 12 teams. in the words of Corporal Jones from Dad's Army - DONT PANIC!! Stu Maher
  • Score: 0

2:04pm Wed 18 Apr 12

red rose says...

Great to read to sense on here from Pinch and Garther.The clubs reps ahve not consulted their clubs properly in the timescale allowed, the ego trippers on the exec have rail roaded it through and as pinch says the vast majority dont want it but it seems to have got through.
Great to read to sense on here from Pinch and Garther.The clubs reps ahve not consulted their clubs properly in the timescale allowed, the ego trippers on the exec have rail roaded it through and as pinch says the vast majority dont want it but it seems to have got through. red rose
  • Score: 0

2:28pm Wed 18 Apr 12

HecticBigBoy says...

Stu Maher wrote:
HecticBigBoy wrote:
Garther wrote: So twenty teams from next year? So currently are we to assume the additional six teams are Burnley Belvedere, Brinscall, Fenniscowles (can't get out of division two), Stacksteads, Euxton and Brooksbottom? How does this improve the standard of senior league cricket? No disrespect to these clubs but they are no where near. My club voted against which as far as i can tell s the general consensus of the players but we were never asked. How many other clubs put this to the people it affects most of all???
Fully agree Garther, within a short period of time i suspect that the top few teams will be looking elsewhere for their cricket, and the top few teams of the second tier will enter a merry-go-round of promotion and relegation from the newly formed 2nd division. The new format will only work if there are several new clubs of a good standard, with good wickets and facilities entering the league, not making numbers up with teams that are no-where near the standard, on basically park pitches or outfields that serve as footy pitches in winter (sorry Belvedere), Players weren't consulted and it reeks of an idea from the executive being pushed through, without adequate time for discussion, thought or explanation.
Seems a daft suggestion that its been rushed through, when the League voted (by majority) in November 2011 to move to 2 divisions with promotion and relegation. This latest vote was how to get to that agreed structure, which again was passed by majority. The idea of 2 divisions itself has been on the table since 2007 - plenty of time for debate I would say! Many players will not have showed interest in their clubs until very recently when the season fast approaches. That is not the clubs' faults, more with the players in my view. I also dont see all the panic! at the moment 20 clubs are in and in 2014 there will be 2 divs of 10. But its not restricted to 20 teams. If there is more than 20 teams, the clubs again have the ability to set how many teams in the top division and second division. If one more club joins, that will be 21, so that is again up for discussion and vote. That might result in a div 1 of 14 teams (as is now) and a div 2 of 7 teams!!! If there was 24, or 26 by 2014, Division 1 may still actually have 14 teams and div 2 have 10 or 12 teams. in the words of Corporal Jones from Dad's Army - DONT PANIC!!
Structure voted in by a narrow majority, and rushed through in the closed season, without any confirmation who the teams are, my worry is as said before, that the standard drops and clubs may not be properly vetted. Rumours say the league approached Darwen, who said NO, and the teams that are mentioned are all 'guesses' because its all a bit hush hush
[quote][p][bold]Stu Maher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HecticBigBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Garther[/bold] wrote: So twenty teams from next year? So currently are we to assume the additional six teams are Burnley Belvedere, Brinscall, Fenniscowles (can't get out of division two), Stacksteads, Euxton and Brooksbottom? How does this improve the standard of senior league cricket? No disrespect to these clubs but they are no where near. My club voted against which as far as i can tell s the general consensus of the players but we were never asked. How many other clubs put this to the people it affects most of all???[/p][/quote]Fully agree Garther, within a short period of time i suspect that the top few teams will be looking elsewhere for their cricket, and the top few teams of the second tier will enter a merry-go-round of promotion and relegation from the newly formed 2nd division. The new format will only work if there are several new clubs of a good standard, with good wickets and facilities entering the league, not making numbers up with teams that are no-where near the standard, on basically park pitches or outfields that serve as footy pitches in winter (sorry Belvedere), Players weren't consulted and it reeks of an idea from the executive being pushed through, without adequate time for discussion, thought or explanation.[/p][/quote]Seems a daft suggestion that its been rushed through, when the League voted (by majority) in November 2011 to move to 2 divisions with promotion and relegation. This latest vote was how to get to that agreed structure, which again was passed by majority. The idea of 2 divisions itself has been on the table since 2007 - plenty of time for debate I would say! Many players will not have showed interest in their clubs until very recently when the season fast approaches. That is not the clubs' faults, more with the players in my view. I also dont see all the panic! at the moment 20 clubs are in and in 2014 there will be 2 divs of 10. But its not restricted to 20 teams. If there is more than 20 teams, the clubs again have the ability to set how many teams in the top division and second division. If one more club joins, that will be 21, so that is again up for discussion and vote. That might result in a div 1 of 14 teams (as is now) and a div 2 of 7 teams!!! If there was 24, or 26 by 2014, Division 1 may still actually have 14 teams and div 2 have 10 or 12 teams. in the words of Corporal Jones from Dad's Army - DONT PANIC!![/p][/quote]Structure voted in by a narrow majority, and rushed through in the closed season, without any confirmation who the teams are, my worry is as said before, that the standard drops and clubs may not be properly vetted. Rumours say the league approached Darwen, who said NO, and the teams that are mentioned are all 'guesses' because its all a bit hush hush HecticBigBoy
  • Score: 0

2:31pm Wed 18 Apr 12

HecticBigBoy says...

red rose wrote:
Great to read to sense on here from Pinch and Garther.The clubs reps ahve not consulted their clubs properly in the timescale allowed, the ego trippers on the exec have rail roaded it through and as pinch says the vast majority dont want it but it seems to have got through.
Be a nice gesture if all the clubs went to their members and players and allowed them to decide, rather than in a closed room by 'the few', but i doubt that will happen
[quote][p][bold]red rose[/bold] wrote: Great to read to sense on here from Pinch and Garther.The clubs reps ahve not consulted their clubs properly in the timescale allowed, the ego trippers on the exec have rail roaded it through and as pinch says the vast majority dont want it but it seems to have got through.[/p][/quote]Be a nice gesture if all the clubs went to their members and players and allowed them to decide, rather than in a closed room by 'the few', but i doubt that will happen HecticBigBoy
  • Score: 0

2:35pm Wed 18 Apr 12

HecticBigBoy says...

The Snake wrote:
Peeps There is a defo a few dinosaurs on here. Why cant people embrace change and move on with the times. I admit that it has been pushed through fairly quick but surely the league must be applauded for being pro-active. It sounds to me that people are happy to finish bottom and second bottom year in and year out. By having promotion and relegation in place surely it will give these teams something to play for?. Do we know for definite the other 4 teams or are people being presumptious?. Other leagues will defo have to look at implementing changes or Cricket like the dinosaurs on here will become extinct.
Changes aren't the issue, the issue is that this as it stands makes it more likely to lower the standard and certainly cost clubs money through lost revenue from less games. Clubs like Clitheroe and Barnoldswick would notice the difference, income against expenditure!!
[quote][p][bold]The Snake[/bold] wrote: Peeps There is a defo a few dinosaurs on here. Why cant people embrace change and move on with the times. I admit that it has been pushed through fairly quick but surely the league must be applauded for being pro-active. It sounds to me that people are happy to finish bottom and second bottom year in and year out. By having promotion and relegation in place surely it will give these teams something to play for?. Do we know for definite the other 4 teams or are people being presumptious?. Other leagues will defo have to look at implementing changes or Cricket like the dinosaurs on here will become extinct.[/p][/quote]Changes aren't the issue, the issue is that this as it stands makes it more likely to lower the standard and certainly cost clubs money through lost revenue from less games. Clubs like Clitheroe and Barnoldswick would notice the difference, income against expenditure!! HecticBigBoy
  • Score: 0

3:50pm Wed 18 Apr 12

red rose says...

Dont think to many have any issue with relegation/promotion
.ITS THE SHAMBLES TO FORM THE TWO DIVISONS.
What happens if a senior club next season gets its home games as including Feni, Brincall,Stackers,Be
lverdere, Euxton, and Broadbottom, big drop in revenue.What happens if its a bad summer Get five games off against weak oppostion and your in div two without a blink of an eye. Get the salt and vinager ready for the chip shop league.
Dont think to many have any issue with relegation/promotion .ITS THE SHAMBLES TO FORM THE TWO DIVISONS. What happens if a senior club next season gets its home games as including Feni, Brincall,Stackers,Be lverdere, Euxton, and Broadbottom, big drop in revenue.What happens if its a bad summer Get five games off against weak oppostion and your in div two without a blink of an eye. Get the salt and vinager ready for the chip shop league. red rose
  • Score: 0

4:42pm Wed 18 Apr 12

Pinch Hitter says...

Think the Dad’s Army analogy in Stu’s post quite apt, but would think Private Fraizer’s Catch Phrase more appropriate.

‘The Man’s an idiot!, we’re DOOMED I say, DOOMED.’
Think the Dad’s Army analogy in Stu’s post quite apt, but would think Private Fraizer’s Catch Phrase more appropriate. ‘The Man’s an idiot!, we’re DOOMED I say, DOOMED.’ Pinch Hitter
  • Score: 0

9:48pm Wed 18 Apr 12

APTurner says...

The league future is quite simply a huge "legacy"gamble. From a personal point of view I suggest all div one seconds teams of current senior clubs and their selection committees really make an effort to up their games against the teams that seem to have been given a free pass into a higher standard of cricket. Same applies to the teams in div 2 who play against feni who will potentially jump up two divisions without having to prove their ability. Maybe the league will have some re think when as i predict none of their free pass clubs end up in top three of their current leagues. If not then just watch how many transfers are requested at the start 2014. Im sure Loyal club players will put up with 2013 to help their clubs be in the highest league for start of the 2014 season. without the introduction of at least 4-6 high profile cricketing clubs this will not work so I genuinely hope the league make the gamble worthwhile.
Andy
The league future is quite simply a huge "legacy"gamble. From a personal point of view I suggest all div one seconds teams of current senior clubs and their selection committees really make an effort to up their games against the teams that seem to have been given a free pass into a higher standard of cricket. Same applies to the teams in div 2 who play against feni who will potentially jump up two divisions without having to prove their ability. Maybe the league will have some re think when as i predict none of their free pass clubs end up in top three of their current leagues. If not then just watch how many transfers are requested at the start 2014. Im sure Loyal club players will put up with 2013 to help their clubs be in the highest league for start of the 2014 season. without the introduction of at least 4-6 high profile cricketing clubs this will not work so I genuinely hope the league make the gamble worthwhile. Andy APTurner
  • Score: 0

7:20am Thu 19 Apr 12

Garther says...

Well said Andy. It's not a case of being scared of change, it's the fact that this in no way improves the standards of the Ribblesdale League. Would this have been voted in without the backing of these new teams?

ps The clues in the name Pinch Hitter!
Well said Andy. It's not a case of being scared of change, it's the fact that this in no way improves the standards of the Ribblesdale League. Would this have been voted in without the backing of these new teams? ps The clues in the name Pinch Hitter! Garther
  • Score: 0

1:37pm Thu 19 Apr 12

EarbyAsh says...

Garther wrote:
Well said Andy. It's not a case of being scared of change, it's the fact that this in no way improves the standards of the Ribblesdale League. Would this have been voted in without the backing of these new teams? ps The clues in the name Pinch Hitter!
Now then Garther, im guessing we're from the same club??, heres a suggestion which has no chance of being taken up by the league committee ...... as there is clearly a large amount of concern and opposition to the new structure, primarily on here from players ... why don't the executive of the league arrange an open meeting, allowing ALL members of the league to have an equal say, it then becomes a true view put forward. or am i being to forward thinking?
[quote][p][bold]Garther[/bold] wrote: Well said Andy. It's not a case of being scared of change, it's the fact that this in no way improves the standards of the Ribblesdale League. Would this have been voted in without the backing of these new teams? ps The clues in the name Pinch Hitter![/p][/quote]Now then Garther, im guessing we're from the same club??, heres a suggestion which has no chance of being taken up by the league committee ...... as there is clearly a large amount of concern and opposition to the new structure, primarily on here from players ... why don't the executive of the league arrange an open meeting, allowing ALL members of the league to have an equal say, it then becomes a true view put forward. or am i being to forward thinking? EarbyAsh
  • Score: 0

2:37pm Thu 19 Apr 12

sauce says...

Not totally against change (still eat marathons and opel fruits though) but some good points made above. My concerns are with the ground facilities, at the moment you have to be up to a certain standard, sightscreens, etc. Not sure what the condition of Burnley Belv and Brinscall are but played at Feni and Stackheads in the past couple of years in the 20/20 and these grounds are clearly not upto senior league standard, are the league going to move the goalposts on this to allow them to play senior league cricket? Can see a merry go round for players aswell, lads playing for their 2nd team will be playing 3rd/4th tier cricket, teams in the senior league div 2 will be asking these lads to play 1st team cricket. Clubs with a pro budget could easliy pay 2 or 3 amatuers from div 1 to play for them in div 2 to gain promotion instead of going on one pro. Certain players won't want to play in Div 2 so go to Div 1 teams. To improve playing standards should revert back to the overseas amatuer rule, 1 per club. Have bowling restrictions give players the chance, not just seeing the pro bowling 23 overs at one end. Make the league more attractive reduce it to 40 overs, earlier start times 1 or 1.15, can have a game complete by half 6. Someone mentioned coloured clothing got go with the times, may get more sponsors interested in the league. Anyway interesting times ahead see where it takes us.
Not totally against change (still eat marathons and opel fruits though) but some good points made above. My concerns are with the ground facilities, at the moment you have to be up to a certain standard, sightscreens, etc. Not sure what the condition of Burnley Belv and Brinscall are but played at Feni and Stackheads in the past couple of years in the 20/20 and these grounds are clearly not upto senior league standard, are the league going to move the goalposts on this to allow them to play senior league cricket? Can see a merry go round for players aswell, lads playing for their 2nd team will be playing 3rd/4th tier cricket, teams in the senior league div 2 will be asking these lads to play 1st team cricket. Clubs with a pro budget could easliy pay 2 or 3 amatuers from div 1 to play for them in div 2 to gain promotion instead of going on one pro. Certain players won't want to play in Div 2 so go to Div 1 teams. To improve playing standards should revert back to the overseas amatuer rule, 1 per club. Have bowling restrictions give players the chance, not just seeing the pro bowling 23 overs at one end. Make the league more attractive reduce it to 40 overs, earlier start times 1 or 1.15, can have a game complete by half 6. Someone mentioned coloured clothing got go with the times, may get more sponsors interested in the league. Anyway interesting times ahead see where it takes us. sauce
  • Score: 0

5:29pm Thu 19 Apr 12

red rose says...

the ground concerns are a real sticky wicket.The league has no grounds committee at present.The last one resigned more or less en block as the league exec refused to implement their wishes and a lot of hard work and time and effort all went down the drain.If they cant follow thier own rules and implement cures what hope of sorting this shambles out.
the ground concerns are a real sticky wicket.The league has no grounds committee at present.The last one resigned more or less en block as the league exec refused to implement their wishes and a lot of hard work and time and effort all went down the drain.If they cant follow thier own rules and implement cures what hope of sorting this shambles out. red rose
  • Score: 0

5:44pm Tue 24 Apr 12

depribsec says...

Pinch Hitter,

Many thanks for your confidence in my ability as a sharpshooter!!! but do you REALLY think that a "blind umpire" from the Ribb League is up to that????????????
Pinch Hitter, Many thanks for your confidence in my ability as a sharpshooter!!! but do you REALLY think that a "blind umpire" from the Ribb League is up to that???????????? depribsec
  • Score: 0

2:47pm Wed 25 Apr 12

Pinch Hitter says...

Always been a bit trigger happy Brian.
Always been a bit trigger happy Brian. Pinch Hitter
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree