CHORLEY boxer Michael Jennings says facing Kell Brook in a WBO world welterweight title eliminator will be a doddle compared to the nerve-wracking experience of supporting former Stone Roses star
Jennings (pictured) finally looks set to face British rival Brook at Birmingham’s LG Arena – formerly known as the NEC – on September 18 after the bout was previously postponed three times because
of injuries to both fighters.
Victory could give the 32-year-old Chorley Lurcher a mandatory challenge for the world title, having previously lost his one WBO title challenge to Miguel Cotto at Madison Square Garden last
Brook, a highly-rated and unbeaten 24-year-old from Sheffield, is the heavy bookies’ favourite but Jennings is confident his own greater experience will give him the edge.
And Jennings says he will not have the same nerves fighting Brook as he did when he was the drummer as his punk band The Shoks supported Ian Brown on a national tour last month.
“I’ll drum it into Brook that he’s far too inexperienced to beat me,” said Jennings.
“He’ll get the kind of stage fright I get ahead of the music.
“Before I go on with The Shoks I’m a bundle of nerves.
“Doing those gigs with Ian Brown was an amazing experience but before every one of them had have massive butterflies.
“But when it comes to the Brook fight, I can’t wait for it to happen.
“I’m very confident going into this fight.
“I’ve fought at the highest level against Miguel Cotto, and although I lost I learned so much from that fight.
“I’ve been impressed with what Brook has done.
“Yet while I don’t want to be disrespectful, I don’t see who he has really beaten.
“He had an easy run at the British title, but now he’s got to make a big step up to fight me.
“I got a taste of fighting for a world title against Cotto, and now I want some more, and Brook is not going to stop me.”
Jennings is currently ranked 11th by the WBO but could become the mandatory challenger for the world title if he beats number one ranked Brook.
Manny Pacquiao currently holds the title but is expected to retire by the end of this year – with the Filipino still keen to face Floyd Mayweather in his final fight.