Alex James column: Robinson can be World Cup wildcard

Paul Robinson

Paul Robinson

First published in Sport
Last updated
Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor

AT first glance an England call-up for a goalkeeper who has barely played over the past two seasons beacuse of a blood clot on the lung does sound a bit crazy.

When you throw in the fact that he is officially retired from international football and is playing in the second tier of English football then the chances of Paul Robinson making Roy Hodgson's squad for the final 23 to board the plane to Brazil this summer look slim.

But then you start to consider the facts and perhaps, just perhaps, Robinson is among the best for the job.

England do not have a depth of talent vying for the goalkeeping jersey. Behind Joe Hart, who will travel as undisputed No.1, there is a plethora of keepers trying to force their way onto the plane.

At the head of that queue is Ben Foster at West Brom. Like Robinson he had retired from international football but Hodgson gave him a second chance and he took it. The same could quite conceivably happen to Robinson should the England boss pick up the phone.

Foster looks set for that back-up slot but the third keeper is like picking the bonus ball in the lottery.

Fraser Forster, John Ruddy, Robert Green, Alex McCarthy and Jack Butland have all been in recent squads and Robinson's biggest competition will come from the former two.

Forster has been in impressive form for Celtic this season making a string of fine saves in Champions League games and playing his part in Celtic’s cruise towards the title.

But it is Scottish football. And with the greatest respect in the world, the Championship is probably a tougher week-in, week-out place to play football.

Ruddy is at least playing in the Premier League with Norwich but he has not had a sparkling season as the Canaries have struggled at the wrong end of the table.

A case could be made for either.

But, what could clinch it for Robinson is his experience.

And that’s where Robinson has the advantage.

He has played in a World Cup, he was part of the 2006 squad in Germany, and he knows the pressure that comes with being an England international – think of that Gary Neville backpass that rolled over his flailing foot in Croatia.

If anyone can come through that and live to fight another day then they must have plenty of thick skin.

When Hodgson comes to pick his squad he knows that, barring a disaster, the third choice goalkeeper is going to spend every game sitting behind him on the bench.

Robinson is perfect to come along and help Hart and Foster in training, offer them advice about everything from being away from home to preparing for group games.

Neither of those two has played a single minute of World Cup football before. Robinson has played 480 minutes plus a penalty shoot out and kept four clean sheets.

He can travel almost as a member of the coaching staff.

Through his time at Rovers we have seen that he speaks well and professionaly with the knowledge of a man who has spent more than a decade at the top of the sport.

That experience could be crucial in more ways than we know off the field.

When you put all those ingredients into the mix, suddenly it is not as easy to call me crazy.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:11pm Thu 20 Feb 14

adcr says...

How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.
How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call. adcr
  • Score: 6

3:33pm Thu 20 Feb 14

realisticrover says...

In fairness, I thought Robbo had a chance, until I read the piece above!!
Whichever way you turn, there is a more logical (maybe not better, granted) option!
;)
In fairness, I thought Robbo had a chance, until I read the piece above!! Whichever way you turn, there is a more logical (maybe not better, granted) option! ;) realisticrover
  • Score: 6

4:32pm Thu 20 Feb 14

look.up.blackburn says...

Hahaha!
Hahaha! look.up.blackburn
  • Score: -12

4:32pm Thu 20 Feb 14

fretters says...

adcr wrote:
How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.
Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.
[quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.[/p][/quote]Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming. fretters
  • Score: -9

4:47pm Thu 20 Feb 14

adcr says...

fretters wrote:
adcr wrote:
How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.
Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.
Just imagine us wining the derby, you not going up and Robbo helping England win the world cup. What a fantastic end to the season. Can’t wait for the summer. A similar comparison would be when West Ham said that they won the world cup for England in 66. And yet another reason for us to feel superior to you lot.
[quote][p][bold]fretters[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.[/p][/quote]Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.[/p][/quote]Just imagine us wining the derby, you not going up and Robbo helping England win the world cup. What a fantastic end to the season. Can’t wait for the summer. A similar comparison would be when West Ham said that they won the world cup for England in 66. And yet another reason for us to feel superior to you lot. adcr
  • Score: 5

4:52pm Thu 20 Feb 14

ChrisDeBerg says...

adcr wrote:
fretters wrote:
adcr wrote:
How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.
Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.
Just imagine us wining the derby, you not going up and Robbo helping England win the world cup. What a fantastic end to the season. Can’t wait for the summer. A similar comparison would be when West Ham said that they won the world cup for England in 66. And yet another reason for us to feel superior to you lot.
Do you think it has something to do with the claret and blue? I think it sends the club and fans crazy with delusion?! :)
[quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fretters[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.[/p][/quote]Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.[/p][/quote]Just imagine us wining the derby, you not going up and Robbo helping England win the world cup. What a fantastic end to the season. Can’t wait for the summer. A similar comparison would be when West Ham said that they won the world cup for England in 66. And yet another reason for us to feel superior to you lot.[/p][/quote]Do you think it has something to do with the claret and blue? I think it sends the club and fans crazy with delusion?! :) ChrisDeBerg
  • Score: 3

5:00pm Thu 20 Feb 14

adcr says...

ChrisDeBerg wrote:
adcr wrote:
fretters wrote:
adcr wrote:
How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.
Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.
Just imagine us wining the derby, you not going up and Robbo helping England win the world cup. What a fantastic end to the season. Can’t wait for the summer. A similar comparison would be when West Ham said that they won the world cup for England in 66. And yet another reason for us to feel superior to you lot.
Do you think it has something to do with the claret and blue? I think it sends the club and fans crazy with delusion?! :)
I think it is more to do with years of failure, it must grind them down. I've never even heard of their goalkeeper. I thought it was still that nervous lump who let three past him at Ewood a few seasons back.

We might laugh at the thought of Robbo playing in the world cup, but seriously who have we got who is better? After Hart a fit again Robbo is probably the next best shout. He has certainly impressed me this season.
[quote][p][bold]ChrisDeBerg[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fretters[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.[/p][/quote]Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.[/p][/quote]Just imagine us wining the derby, you not going up and Robbo helping England win the world cup. What a fantastic end to the season. Can’t wait for the summer. A similar comparison would be when West Ham said that they won the world cup for England in 66. And yet another reason for us to feel superior to you lot.[/p][/quote]Do you think it has something to do with the claret and blue? I think it sends the club and fans crazy with delusion?! :)[/p][/quote]I think it is more to do with years of failure, it must grind them down. I've never even heard of their goalkeeper. I thought it was still that nervous lump who let three past him at Ewood a few seasons back. We might laugh at the thought of Robbo playing in the world cup, but seriously who have we got who is better? After Hart a fit again Robbo is probably the next best shout. He has certainly impressed me this season. adcr
  • Score: 5

6:52pm Thu 20 Feb 14

Garylla says...

adcr wrote:
fretters wrote:
adcr wrote:
How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.
Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.
Just imagine us wining the derby, you not going up and Robbo helping England win the world cup. What a fantastic end to the season. Can’t wait for the summer. A similar comparison would be when West Ham said that they won the world cup for England in 66. And yet another reason for us to feel superior to you lot.
You forgot to add us beating the Dingles in the playoffs on our way to the Premier League! Good call re Robbo. Top bloke
[quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fretters[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]adcr[/bold] wrote: How many Burnley players have a shot of making the England world cup squad? In fact who was the last Burnley player to play for England? And if anyone says Rodriguez, I'm gonna say Jones. He has to be playing for you when he gets the call.[/p][/quote]Burnley have an English goalkeeper who is younger than Robinson, fitter and has been instumental to them being in the top 3 all season. If you think Robinson has a 'shot of making the England world cup squad', you have another thing coming.[/p][/quote]Just imagine us wining the derby, you not going up and Robbo helping England win the world cup. What a fantastic end to the season. Can’t wait for the summer. A similar comparison would be when West Ham said that they won the world cup for England in 66. And yet another reason for us to feel superior to you lot.[/p][/quote]You forgot to add us beating the Dingles in the playoffs on our way to the Premier League! Good call re Robbo. Top bloke Garylla
  • Score: 3

7:11pm Thu 20 Feb 14

RoversSwiss says...

Only one post from 8 about Robinson playing for England, this webpage now scrapes the depths, it has ceased to be a Rovers forum. LET should close it down.
Only one post from 8 about Robinson playing for England, this webpage now scrapes the depths, it has ceased to be a Rovers forum. LET should close it down. RoversSwiss
  • Score: 3

9:45pm Thu 20 Feb 14

Old Alzheimer says...

RoversSwiss wrote:
Only one post from 8 about Robinson playing for England, this webpage now scrapes the depths, it has ceased to be a Rovers forum. LET should close it down.
Spot on R-S !!!!
[quote][p][bold]RoversSwiss[/bold] wrote: Only one post from 8 about Robinson playing for England, this webpage now scrapes the depths, it has ceased to be a Rovers forum. LET should close it down.[/p][/quote]Spot on R-S !!!! Old Alzheimer
  • Score: 3

9:37am Fri 21 Feb 14

realisticrover says...

but when a couple of the more articulate Burnley fans come on for a bit of banter, its ok...can't the LET just ban the obsessive ones that don't have very good brains?
but when a couple of the more articulate Burnley fans come on for a bit of banter, its ok...can't the LET just ban the obsessive ones that don't have very good brains? realisticrover
  • Score: 0

9:45am Fri 21 Feb 14

adcr says...

RoversSwiss wrote:
Only one post from 8 about Robinson playing for England, this webpage now scrapes the depths, it has ceased to be a Rovers forum. LET should close it down.
I actually made a comment about Robinson being the second best keeper in England and possibly deserves to go. I also commented on how good his form has been since he returned to the team.

Whereas you criticised the other posters for not commenting on the Robinson story and yet declined to comment yourself.
[quote][p][bold]RoversSwiss[/bold] wrote: Only one post from 8 about Robinson playing for England, this webpage now scrapes the depths, it has ceased to be a Rovers forum. LET should close it down.[/p][/quote]I actually made a comment about Robinson being the second best keeper in England and possibly deserves to go. I also commented on how good his form has been since he returned to the team. Whereas you criticised the other posters for not commenting on the Robinson story and yet declined to comment yourself. adcr
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree