When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Highs and lows of Steve Kean's reign at Rovers
10:00am Saturday 29th September 2012 in Sport
- August 4, 2009 – Kean joins the club’s backroom staff after being appointed by Sam Allardyce as his new first-team coach, replacing Karl Robinson. Allardyce said that from numerous applications for the past that Kean ‘stood out above the rest through his personality, experience and knowledge of football at the highest level’.
- December 13, 2010 – Kean takes over as caretaker manager of Blackburn Rovers following the dismissal of Sam Allardyce.
- December 22, 2010 – Kean is installed as the club’s permanent new manager, initially until the end of the 2010/11 season.
- December 28, 2010 – Enjoys a fine success on the road as Rovers crush West Brom 3-1 at The Hawthorns.
- January 5, 2011 – Probably his best result as Rovers manager, with Blackburn comprehensively beating Liverpool 3-1 at Ewood Park. Benjani scored twice for Rovers and Martin Olsson netted.
- January 20, 2011 – Rovers secure Kean to a new long-term contract at Ewood Park, the Scot signing a two-and-a-half year deal that runs until June 2013.
- April 30, 2011 – After going 11 games without a win and being drawn into a relegation fight, a 1-0 victory at home to Bolton Wanderers eases the pressure on Kean.
- May 22, 2011 – One of Kean’s better days as Rovers turn in one of their best displays of the season at Molineux on the final day. A 3-2 victory safeguarded their Premier League status.
- September 17, 2011 – Rovers see off Arsenal 4-3 in a thrilling Ewood Park encounter. It was to prove their last league win for more than two months.
- November 24, 2011 – Kean is handed a new contract.
- December 31, 2011 – With most expecting Kean to be sacked at any time, Rovers beat Manchester United at Old Trafford.
- March 20, 2012 – Back to back wins over Wolves and Sunderland look to have moved Rovers a step nearer safety.
- December 26, 2011 – Suffers his first defeat in the Rovers hot-seat, crashing 2-0 at home to Stoke on Boxing Day.
- January 1, 2011 – Another horror-show on the road on New Year’s Day as Sunderland beat Rovers 3-0 at the Stadium of Light.
- January 29, 2011 to April 25, 2011 – Blackburn are sucked towards a relegation dogfight on the back of an 11-game winless streak. A total of seven defeats and four draws brings serious question marks over Kean’s capabilities at the top-level.
- June 2011 – Rovers sell Phil Jones to Manchester United.
- August 13, 2011 – Kean begins the Premier League campaign on a bad note, losing 2-1 at home to Wolves on the opening day. This is followed up by a poor display at Aston Villa.
- August 27, 2011 – Presides over the club’s worst start to a campaign for 60 years as Rovers crash to their third successive Premier League defeat, going down 1-0 to Everton at Ewood Park.
- September 17, 2011 – The official protests against Kean start for Rovers’ home game against Arsenal. They then rarely stopped.
- November 26, 2011 – A miserable 3-1 defeat at Stoke leaves Rovers without a win for eight Premier League matches.
- December 20, 2011 – The majority of Ewood Park are baying for Kean’s head after a 2-1 home defeat to Bolton followed a reverse at home to West Brom.
- The Lancashire Telegraph also called for Kean’s dismissal.
- February 4, 2012 – Rovers are thumped 7-1 at Arsenal.
- April 29, 2012 – Rovers lose at Tottenham without having a single shot on or off target.
- May 5, 2012 – Rovers are relegated with defeat at home to Wigan as a chicken is released onto the pitch.
- September 28, 2012 – Resigns as manager after weeks of pressure.
Comments are closed on this article.