JORDAN Rhodes scored twice for Blackburn Rovers as they beat Bristol City 5-3 in a thrilling clash at Ashton Gate.

Scott Dann gave Rovers a 4-3 lead in injury time, before Rhodes bent his second of the game home minutes later.

Steve Kean's men made hard work of a game they should have won convincingly as they let the hosts back into the game twice in the second half.

Nuno Gomes put Rovers 2-1 up after the break and Ruben Rochina fired them 3-2 ahead, but poor defending allowed Stephen Pearson and Sam Baldock level each time, Jordan Rhodes scored his first goal for Blackburn Rovers to send them in half time drawing 1-1 at Bristol City.

Albert Adomah scored after just 43 seconds for the hosts, taking advantage of some poor Rovers' defending, but Rhodes levelled on 28.

Blackburn Rovers got off to the worst start possible as they fell behind after just one minute.

Jon Stead held up Richard Foster's throw and his lay back was fired home, via a deflection, by the dangerous Albert Adomah.

Rovers hit back and almost equalised on seven minutes. Jordan Rhodes combined well with Nuno Gomes on the edge of the penalty area and his 20-yard strike was well held by Tom Heaton, Gomes and Rhodes then had shots from distance saved by Heaton before Rovers got a deserved equaliser through their record signing.

The Scot latched on to a bad error from Liam Fontaine to race clear on goal and slot his shot past the Bristol City goalkeeper.

Rovers were almost behind again on 47 . Adomah's deep cross picked out the unmarked Stead at the far post but his scuffed shot was blocked by Bradley Orr.

The visitors took the lead on 55 through Gomes' third goal of the season. Dickson Etuhu slipped a pass into Rhodes inside the area and his pull back was fired home by the former Portuguese international.

Rovers were pegged back on 70 after a sublime moment of skill from Adomah. The winger tricked his way past Etuhu and Olsson and his pull back was converted by Stephen Pearson.

The visitors looked as though they were heading for victory on 82 when substitute Ruben Rochina fired them back ahead.

The Spaniard ran from just inside the attacking half and, after City defender Louis Carey fell over, he curled a strike into the top corner.

Rovers's celebrations were barely over before Sam Baldock was given the space of Ashton Gate to turn and equalise for the hosts from 20 yards.

The visitors got the points in injury time as Scott Dann lashed home from close range after Pedersen's cross and Rhodes bent a fifth into the net in the dying seconds.