When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Venky's: Ronaldinho a no go for Blackburn Rovers
Blackburn Rovers owners have vowed to financially back Steve Kean’s search for “quality players” – but have distanced themselves from an audacious bid for AC Milan’s Ronaldinho.
Venky’s director Venkatesh Rao told the Lancashire Telegraph yesterday he was not concerned about cost and insisted the funds are there this month to help take Rovers forward.
Rovers boss Kean said after Saturday’s 3-0 defeat at Sunderland he was already closing in on two new recruits and was hopeful as many as four new faces could arrive in the next couple of weeks.
He also insisted he would be interested in rivalling Spurs for the loan signing of David Beckham as he bids to excite the Ewood Park faithful.
Rovers have not been given a budget yet by the Indian poultry giants but, with Kean’s January wish-list now with his bosses, Mr Rao insisted quality and not price would be their criteria.
He also dismissed the possibility of Brazilian forward Ronaldinho being brought to Ewood Park after his company’s Facebook site reported an approach had been made.
The site, and their Twitter account, said Venky’s had offered the two-time FIFA World Footballer of the Year, now 30, a two-year deal worth 7.2m Euros a year.
The story was quickly removed from their site and Rao has now rubbished the rumour.
He said: “That is not true. There is no interest at all, they are just rumours.
“We are still finalising possible signings but hopefully we can come out into the press and make things clearer in a week.
“Discussions are still going on and meetings are going on.
"Money is not the criteria at all though, we do not mind about the money.
“It is about getting the right players for Blackburn Rovers and we have enough money to do that.
"That is not a problem. We want to bring quality to Blackburn Rovers.”
Meanwhile Rovers boss Kean is confident he will have no problems in attracting new signings to Ewood Park.
The Lancashire Telegraph understands progress has already been made on his search for signings, although no official offers can be made until the green light is received from India.
The Rovers boss gave his January wish-list to his bosses in Indian on Friday and is confident his managerial inexperience will not stop him sealing the deals – hopefully soon after Liverpool’s visit on Wednesday.
He said: “I don’t think that will be a handicap. We are showing people we are a club moving forward, we want to finish in the top ten this season and build a squad in the summer that can finish in the top six.
“When the plans are like that and that is what the owners want to do, players can see that as a challenge and want to come to a club on the up and on the front foot.
“It is about getting a few signings made and there will be a bit of excitement about the club and positivity about the place.”
A number of targets identified by the club’s scouting department during Sam Allardyce’s regime are understood to still be high up on the radar, although past interest in former midfielder David Bentley is believed to have diminished.
“I think we will sign at least three, possibly four, we might have one on loan at least at this stage that is the way it is looking,” Kean said.
“We are allowed one more domestic loan because we have Diouf on loan from Man U and two foreign and that should really move us forward because we have so many players out.
“The list has gone in so we will see what comes back and how we are going to move forward.
"We would like to do it early. It will probably be after the Liverpool game.
“We are close to signing two, possibly three, although the third is the outsider.
"Hopefully talks can continue and with someone like Beckham, someone will get a good player if he comes over here.
“And if he does come back to this country, he is someone we would be interested in.”
Comments are closed on this article.