BURNLEY eased their way back into action with a routine victory against Shamrock Rovers to end a productive training camp in Ireland.

Facing a second string Rovers side after their first team had played in the Europa League just 24 hours earlier the Clarets were always in command at the Tallaght Stadium as they ran out 4-0 winners.

Sean Dyche stuck to his plan of giving no player more than a half of football, making 11 changes at the break, while Jon Walters played just over half an hour on his first appearance for the club.

Burnley have been a major attraction during their week in the Emerald Isle and two of their five Republic of Ireland internationals were on the scoresheet here in front of the locals and a sizeable Clarets contingent, with Jon Walters and Robbie Brady finding the back of the net.

The Clarets first sight of  goal came on five minutes and it was created by Steven Defour, who had already produced a lovely body swerve in midfield to create some space.

This time he won possession in the centre circle and drove forward before trying to feed Andre Gray, when the ball was cut out the Belgium midfielder picked out Walters instead but he lofted a 15-yard  effort well over.

Burnley were ahead within the first 10 minutes and it was two of the new boys who combined. Jack Cork collected possession in midfield and slipped a through ball for Walters, who opened his body and slipped the ball beyond Kevin Horgan in the Rovers goal.

Cork was almost on the scoresheet himself, stretching at the back post to divert Defour’s free-kick into the side netting.

The home side’s attacks were few and far between but after a routine save to deny James Doona Clarets stopper Tom Heaton dived low to his left to get a firm hand to Michael O’Connor’s fierce drive.

Defour was looking particularly lively for Burnley and he sent in a dangerous cross which Gray headed wide on the stretch, when Walters was better placed behind him to apply the finishing touch.

Walters made way just after the half hour for Dan Agyei and he was straight into the thick of the action, turning in the box and seeing a drive across goal saved by Horgan.

The Rovers keeper was a busy man and just before the break he used his legs to deny Gray from close range and then got down well to make the save from Agyei after he sold a defender a dummy inside the area.

It was 11 changes for Burnley at the break and like the team that played the first 45 minutes they didn’t take long to find the back of the net, as Tom Anderson’s raking ball over the top was brought down by Ashley Barnes and he curled the finish beyond Horgan.

Nick Pope had come on for Heaton at the break and he made a spectacular save to deny O’Connor’s long-range effort just after the hour mark.

The Clarets made it three with just over 20 minutes to go. Brady started the move with a pass to free Stephen Ward down the left and when his cut-back was blocked Brady sold two defenders and Horgan a dummy before rolling the ball home.

It was four just before the end in slightly comical circumstances as Jeff Hendrick’s shot from distance hit Sam Vokes on the back and looped over Horgan and in off the bar from 18 yards.

Burnley first half: Tom Heaton, Tendayi Darikwa, James Tarkowski, Ben Mee, Charlie Taylor, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Steven Defour, Jack Cork, Aiden O’Neill, Jon Walters (Dan Agyei 33), Andre Gray

Burnley second half: Nick Pope, Matt Lowton, Tom Anderson, Kevin Long, Stephen Ward, Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick, Ashley Westwood, Fredrik Ulvestad (Dan Agyei 78), Ashley Barnes (Chris Long 85), Sam Vokes

  • The Lancashire Telegraph is following Burnley on tour in association with Accrington Clarets Supporters Club