ANDREW GREAVES: Swansea victory gives Clarets real hope

ANDREW GREAVES: Swansea victory gives Clarets real hope

ANDREW GREAVES: Swansea victory gives Clarets real hope

First published in Sport

WELL the wait is finally over. In just a few hours time Turf Moor will come alive and welcome back the big time. I cannot wait!

Jose Mourinho and the multi-millionaires of Chelsea are the first visitors of the new Premier League season and what a baptism of fire it is going to be.

We’re most people’s favourites for the drop – even, worryingly, among some online sections of our own fans – but that suits us just fine.

Every man and his dog wrote us off last year.

Even when things were going well they said it would never last.

How wrong they were, eh?

Sean Dyche will have planned for this season as meticulously as he did for the last and he will be chomping at the bit to get going.

The media will make plenty of the Ginger Mourinho v Jose Mourinho battle but given a choice I know which man I’d prefer to have at the helm.

As with last summer, Dyche has been clever with the budget and looks to have brought in some very shrewd signings.

We know there are still a few names on Dyche’s radar and I’m sure he’ll be busting a gut to get them over the line before the transfer window slams shut.

If it happens then fantastic. If it doesn’t it certainly won’t for the want of trying and we’ll just have to take it on the chin, to quote the last man to lead us into the Premier League.

Talking of Owen Coyle, something tells me that Dyche is here for the long haul and that above all else gives us a much better chance of survival than the last time we were in the top flight.

There are going to be some rocky moments but we only have to look at some of the week results – most notably Swansea City’s shock win at Old Trafford – as evidence that with a good team spirit and a squad of players with something to prove that anything can happen. And that’s why we all love the game so much.

Chelsea may have the mega rich Russian and a squad full of World Cup stars, but how much will they fancy the foot of the Pennines on an unusually wet August Monday night?

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:03pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..
Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks.. ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 3

4:12pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Claretcert says...

ZomZom@thePark wrote:
Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..
Bus replacement service planned for Tuesday morning between accy and Preston in case the Clarets win. They'll be throwing themselves onto the tracks. What the levels of depression are in Blackburn are since we went up is anybodys guess. Totally agree with this article. No team is super slick at this point, would rather meet them now than after a run of say 6-8 straight wins. If we play like we can I think it could be a very entertaining game. Great to have PL football back on the Turf. We can be rightly proud and just enjoy it.
[quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..[/p][/quote]Bus replacement service planned for Tuesday morning between accy and Preston in case the Clarets win. They'll be throwing themselves onto the tracks. What the levels of depression are in Blackburn are since we went up is anybodys guess. Totally agree with this article. No team is super slick at this point, would rather meet them now than after a run of say 6-8 straight wins. If we play like we can I think it could be a very entertaining game. Great to have PL football back on the Turf. We can be rightly proud and just enjoy it. Claretcert
  • Score: 5

4:12pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Its Only a game boy says...

of course, United losing at home to Swansea wasn't really a big shock.....
of course, United losing at home to Swansea wasn't really a big shock..... Its Only a game boy
  • Score: 9

4:19pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Zanzzibar says...

Good luck tonight.
(but Chelsea will be a different proposition to Man U)

Looking forward to Saturday

STID
Good luck tonight. (but Chelsea will be a different proposition to Man U) Looking forward to Saturday STID Zanzzibar
  • Score: 10

4:21pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Its Only a game boy says...

no one expects BFC to win - so we play without pressure and can sneak something from the game......
no one expects BFC to win - so we play without pressure and can sneak something from the game...... Its Only a game boy
  • Score: 7

4:26pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

Zanzzibar wrote:
Good luck tonight.
(but Chelsea will be a different proposition to Man U)

Looking forward to Saturday

STID
Cheers Z
[quote][p][bold]Zanzzibar[/bold] wrote: Good luck tonight. (but Chelsea will be a different proposition to Man U) Looking forward to Saturday STID[/p][/quote]Cheers Z ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 9

4:46pm Mon 18 Aug 14

TurfMoorTom says...

But Swansea are a Premier League club so it's meaningless to compare Bumley wit them.
But Swansea are a Premier League club so it's meaningless to compare Bumley wit them. TurfMoorTom
  • Score: -6

4:50pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Its Only a game boy says...

and the b...ds are a little championship team
and the b...ds are a little championship team Its Only a game boy
  • Score: 7

5:00pm Mon 18 Aug 14

andy1 says...

TurfMoorTom wrote:
But Swansea are a Premier League club so it's meaningless to compare Bumley wit them.
But its common knowledge you and that plonker AnotherBeatingoffBur
nley are twin Brain Cells aka the thicko twins. Now run along and play on the train tracks there's a fast one due.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: But Swansea are a Premier League club so it's meaningless to compare Bumley wit them.[/p][/quote]But its common knowledge you and that plonker AnotherBeatingoffBur nley are twin Brain Cells aka the thicko twins. Now run along and play on the train tracks there's a fast one due. andy1
  • Score: 6

5:04pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Hyweldda says...

Good luck Burnley. Play as a team and believe in yourselves and like my team Swansea, Jack will slay the giant.
Good luck Burnley. Play as a team and believe in yourselves and like my team Swansea, Jack will slay the giant. Hyweldda
  • Score: 10

5:08pm Mon 18 Aug 14

mjp 53 says...

Claretcert wrote:
ZomZom@thePark wrote:
Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..
Bus replacement service planned for Tuesday morning between accy and Preston in case the Clarets win. They'll be throwing themselves onto the tracks. What the levels of depression are in Blackburn are since we went up is anybodys guess. Totally agree with this article. No team is super slick at this point, would rather meet them now than after a run of say 6-8 straight wins. If we play like we can I think it could be a very entertaining game. Great to have PL football back on the Turf. We can be rightly proud and just enjoy it.
If Burnley do win tonight the Samaritans helpline in Deadwood is going to go into meltdown. Aaw poor little souls cannot help themselves, and feel so bitter for their bigger and better neighbours.
[quote][p][bold]Claretcert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..[/p][/quote]Bus replacement service planned for Tuesday morning between accy and Preston in case the Clarets win. They'll be throwing themselves onto the tracks. What the levels of depression are in Blackburn are since we went up is anybodys guess. Totally agree with this article. No team is super slick at this point, would rather meet them now than after a run of say 6-8 straight wins. If we play like we can I think it could be a very entertaining game. Great to have PL football back on the Turf. We can be rightly proud and just enjoy it.[/p][/quote]If Burnley do win tonight the Samaritans helpline in Deadwood is going to go into meltdown. Aaw poor little souls cannot help themselves, and feel so bitter for their bigger and better neighbours. mjp 53
  • Score: 6

5:10pm Mon 18 Aug 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

ZomZom@thePark wrote:
Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..
Yep gotta agree with you there, you were certainly sucked in by it. Wazock magnet pulled you in
Burnley aren't Swansea. Swansea have been successful in the PL,Burnley haven't, when swansea went up they signed and had some real class players. Burnley have about four decent players and all the rest are workhorse pack donkeys..
I predict a red card, lots of blubbing, dyche banished to the stands, a thorough drubbing and a town center on red alert. Followed by rock bottom by 2200hrs. Will they recover in time for the ManU backlash which will be like the perfect storm?
[quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..[/p][/quote]Yep gotta agree with you there, you were certainly sucked in by it. Wazock magnet pulled you in Burnley aren't Swansea. Swansea have been successful in the PL,Burnley haven't, when swansea went up they signed and had some real class players. Burnley have about four decent players and all the rest are workhorse pack donkeys.. I predict a red card, lots of blubbing, dyche banished to the stands, a thorough drubbing and a town center on red alert. Followed by rock bottom by 2200hrs. Will they recover in time for the ManU backlash which will be like the perfect storm? AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: -8

5:13pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

And we are premier league supporters, so it's pointless you being on here isn't it TomTheTool? You can't compare us with the likes of you either so go and have a tug I believe it's about now Roger the Todger starts to twitch with less than three hours to go. Tissues at the ready...
And we are premier league supporters, so it's pointless you being on here isn't it TomTheTool? You can't compare us with the likes of you either so go and have a tug I believe it's about now Roger the Todger starts to twitch with less than three hours to go. Tissues at the ready... ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 7

5:18pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
ZomZom@thePark wrote:
Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..
Yep gotta agree with you there, you were certainly sucked in by it. Wazock magnet pulled you in
Burnley aren't Swansea. Swansea have been successful in the PL,Burnley haven't, when swansea went up they signed and had some real class players. Burnley have about four decent players and all the rest are workhorse pack donkeys..
I predict a red card, lots of blubbing, dyche banished to the stands, a thorough drubbing and a town center on red alert. Followed by rock bottom by 2200hrs. Will they recover in time for the ManU backlash which will be like the perfect storm?
Aww AP4B starting to bite now.
Well guess what, I was referring to you and ToolBagTom and as if by magic, like moths to the proverbial lightbulb, you appear. And as ever you are about as welcome as headlice and only half as intelligent.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: Another Burnley story. Another wazzock magnet. On yer marks..[/p][/quote]Yep gotta agree with you there, you were certainly sucked in by it. Wazock magnet pulled you in Burnley aren't Swansea. Swansea have been successful in the PL,Burnley haven't, when swansea went up they signed and had some real class players. Burnley have about four decent players and all the rest are workhorse pack donkeys.. I predict a red card, lots of blubbing, dyche banished to the stands, a thorough drubbing and a town center on red alert. Followed by rock bottom by 2200hrs. Will they recover in time for the ManU backlash which will be like the perfect storm?[/p][/quote]Aww AP4B starting to bite now. Well guess what, I was referring to you and ToolBagTom and as if by magic, like moths to the proverbial lightbulb, you appear. And as ever you are about as welcome as headlice and only half as intelligent. ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 6

5:20pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

If only the chicken pluckers could be in position where they had to prepare for the ManU backlash eh smack head?
If only the chicken pluckers could be in position where they had to prepare for the ManU backlash eh smack head? ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 5

5:23pm Mon 18 Aug 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

ZomZom@thePark wrote:
And we are premier league supporters, so it's pointless you being on here isn't it TomTheTool? You can't compare us with the likes of you either so go and have a tug I believe it's about now Roger the Todger starts to twitch with less than three hours to go. Tissues at the ready...
I wonder why you and your mates are always talking about crackin one off, yanking end off, chokin the chicken and exploding in yer shorts, do you guys do this on a regular basis?
[quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: And we are premier league supporters, so it's pointless you being on here isn't it TomTheTool? You can't compare us with the likes of you either so go and have a tug I believe it's about now Roger the Todger starts to twitch with less than three hours to go. Tissues at the ready...[/p][/quote]I wonder why you and your mates are always talking about crackin one off, yanking end off, chokin the chicken and exploding in yer shorts, do you guys do this on a regular basis? AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: -5

5:25pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

AnotherPounding4Burn
ley
wrote:
ZomZom@thePark wrote:
And we are premier league supporters, so it's pointless you being on here isn't it TomTheTool? You can't compare us with the likes of you either so go and have a tug I believe it's about now Roger the Todger starts to twitch with less than three hours to go. Tissues at the ready...
I wonder why you and your mates are always talking about crackin one off, yanking end off, chokin the chicken and exploding in yer shorts, do you guys do this on a regular basis?
It's because we know exactly what you get up to behind closed doors and keyboards. Go on fella w@nk away.
[quote][p][bold]AnotherPounding4Burn ley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ZomZom@thePark[/bold] wrote: And we are premier league supporters, so it's pointless you being on here isn't it TomTheTool? You can't compare us with the likes of you either so go and have a tug I believe it's about now Roger the Todger starts to twitch with less than three hours to go. Tissues at the ready...[/p][/quote]I wonder why you and your mates are always talking about crackin one off, yanking end off, chokin the chicken and exploding in yer shorts, do you guys do this on a regular basis?[/p][/quote]It's because we know exactly what you get up to behind closed doors and keyboards. Go on fella w@nk away. ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 6

5:41pm Mon 18 Aug 14

AnotherPounding4Burnley says...

Gonna set off for the game now, and if we start getting beat I'm gonna boo until we sack the board. I've paid for my ticket so I'm gonna get my moneys worth Booooooooo.
Gonna set off for the game now, and if we start getting beat I'm gonna boo until we sack the board. I've paid for my ticket so I'm gonna get my moneys worth Booooooooo. AnotherPounding4Burnley
  • Score: -3

5:48pm Mon 18 Aug 14

ZomZom@thePark says...

Sounds about right for the mentality of a Wannabe Claret. Congratulations, I believe you have been short listed for Pointless Poster of the Year 2014. I think you will win. You get my vote anyway.
Sounds about right for the mentality of a Wannabe Claret. Congratulations, I believe you have been short listed for Pointless Poster of the Year 2014. I think you will win. You get my vote anyway. ZomZom@thePark
  • Score: 7

6:04pm Mon 18 Aug 14

FCBurnley says...

No true Clarets is EXPECTING a Burnley win tonight. Praying for one maybe, hoping for a point maybe. The whole point is that we ARE in the PL and we ARE playing CHELSEA. Not Scunthorpe or Rotherham but Chelsea. What a fantastic effort by little old Burnley. Go get em Clarets
No true Clarets is EXPECTING a Burnley win tonight. Praying for one maybe, hoping for a point maybe. The whole point is that we ARE in the PL and we ARE playing CHELSEA. Not Scunthorpe or Rotherham but Chelsea. What a fantastic effort by little old Burnley. Go get em Clarets FCBurnley
  • Score: 9

6:20pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Elysiumfire says...

At Turf Moor tonight there will be 200 million pounds worth of talent on show, 6 of which will be supplied by Burnley, what a proud moment! Fans world-wide will get the chance to see a proper football club tonight take on a southern business concern of a Russian plutocrat.

Hope the fans get behind the team and provide the lads with their usual raucous and aggressive encouragement. Be loud and proud boys and girls!

We are Burnley!

UTC's!
At Turf Moor tonight there will be 200 million pounds worth of talent on show, 6 of which will be supplied by Burnley, what a proud moment! Fans world-wide will get the chance to see a proper football club tonight take on a southern business concern of a Russian plutocrat. Hope the fans get behind the team and provide the lads with their usual raucous and aggressive encouragement. Be loud and proud boys and girls! We are Burnley! UTC's! Elysiumfire
  • Score: 7

6:55pm Mon 18 Aug 14

TurfMoorTom says...

FCBurnley wrote:
No true Clarets is EXPECTING a Burnley win tonight. Praying for one maybe, hoping for a point maybe. The whole point is that we ARE in the PL and we ARE playing CHELSEA. Not Scunthorpe or Rotherham but Chelsea. What a fantastic effort by little old Burnley. Go get em Clarets
Firstly, as demonstrated by David Eyres, you're not a Premier League club and once you're bottom who's to say how poor you are. Only thing for certain is you're canon fodder making up the numbers.
[quote][p][bold]FCBurnley[/bold] wrote: No true Clarets is EXPECTING a Burnley win tonight. Praying for one maybe, hoping for a point maybe. The whole point is that we ARE in the PL and we ARE playing CHELSEA. Not Scunthorpe or Rotherham but Chelsea. What a fantastic effort by little old Burnley. Go get em Clarets[/p][/quote]Firstly, as demonstrated by David Eyres, you're not a Premier League club and once you're bottom who's to say how poor you are. Only thing for certain is you're canon fodder making up the numbers. TurfMoorTom
  • Score: -3

6:58pm Mon 18 Aug 14

andy1 says...

TurfMoorTom wrote:
FCBurnley wrote:
No true Clarets is EXPECTING a Burnley win tonight. Praying for one maybe, hoping for a point maybe. The whole point is that we ARE in the PL and we ARE playing CHELSEA. Not Scunthorpe or Rotherham but Chelsea. What a fantastic effort by little old Burnley. Go get em Clarets
Firstly, as demonstrated by David Eyres, you're not a Premier League club and once you're bottom who's to say how poor you are. Only thing for certain is you're canon fodder making up the numbers.
You would be cannon fodder if a few met you.
[quote][p][bold]TurfMoorTom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FCBurnley[/bold] wrote: No true Clarets is EXPECTING a Burnley win tonight. Praying for one maybe, hoping for a point maybe. The whole point is that we ARE in the PL and we ARE playing CHELSEA. Not Scunthorpe or Rotherham but Chelsea. What a fantastic effort by little old Burnley. Go get em Clarets[/p][/quote]Firstly, as demonstrated by David Eyres, you're not a Premier League club and once you're bottom who's to say how poor you are. Only thing for certain is you're canon fodder making up the numbers.[/p][/quote]You would be cannon fodder if a few met you. andy1
  • Score: 5

7:03pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Percythejackster says...

Welcome back to the Premier League!!! All the very best for the season! (excluding Swansea game of course) :-/
Welcome back to the Premier League!!! All the very best for the season! (excluding Swansea game of course) :-/ Percythejackster
  • Score: 3

9:05pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Dorset Blue says...

I do love MNF.... ITS HILARIOUS :)
I do love MNF.... ITS HILARIOUS :) Dorset Blue
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree