NOTTINGHAM Forest have urged midfielder Henri Lansbury to make a decision on his future amid interest from Burnley.
The Clarets, who drew 2-2 with Celta Vigo in a friendly at Turf Moor last night without injured striker Danny Ings, are looking to strengthen their midfield ahead of the new Premier League season and Forest boss Stuart Pearce has confirmed that they have made contact about Lansbury.
Sources in the East Midlands previously suggested that the 23-year-old is happy at the City Ground, but Forest owner Fawaz Al Hasawi revealed yesterday that Lansbury has turned down their offer of an extended contract with the club.
Forest have controversially sold Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow to Newcastle United against Pearce’s wishes and have left the door open for further exits as they bid to fall in line with the Football League’s incoming financial fair play regulations.
Al Hasawi says Forest’s squad ‘will be trimmed further’ but has stressed that they want to retain Lansbury, who is reported to be valued at around £5m.
He has insisted though that the former Arsenal man, who has two years left on his contract, must change his mind on signing a new deal.
"Clearly he is a talented player who we don’t want to lose," said the Forest owner and chairman.
"He rejected my offer of a new contract earlier this year but that deal remains on the table.
"He has two more years to run on his current contract and we hope he will play a huge part for us this season.
"It is now time for Henri to make his decision."
Asked about Lansbury, Burnley boss Sean Dyche said last night: "He is one of 64 names we have been linked with and we are active in a number of situations and, unless we throw massive money at it, we have just got to keep working away."
QPR, Fulham and Wigan have also been linked with Lansbury, who was initially reported to prefer a move back to the south should he leave Forest.
But the lure of Premier League football with Burnley could yet be tempting for the midfielder.
“Burnley have shown an interest in him, but they have not met our valuation of the player,” said former England under 21 boss Pearce, who recently took over at Forest and has expressed his disappointment at the sale of Lascelles and Darlow.
“I had a good relationship with Henri, working with him with the under 21s and I hope to maintain that here.
“It is one of those things that is in discussion. We do not want him to leave this football club.”
The Clarets were without Ings last night against Celta Vigo, when Lukas Jutkiewicz struck twice.
Ings has a hip flexor injury and was left out as a precaution. Dyche said: "He had a couple of bangs and knocks and it was a minor injury to his hip and it was my decision for him not to play as we don't have a massive squad."
Burnley open their Premier League campaign at home to Chelsea on August 18 and Blues boss Jose Mourinho says he is yet to decide whether Petr Cech or Thibaut Courtois will start the game in goal.
Courtois has returned to Chelsea after a successful loan spell with Atletico Madrid and featured in Sunday’s 3-0 friendly defeat at Werder Bremen.
“Courtois needs to play, we don’t have lots of time until the beginning of the season,” Mourinho said.
“There’s two more weeks so we need to give him more playing time.”
* Clarets target Craig Dawson scored an own goal as West Bromwich Albion lost 3-2 at Port Vale in a friendly last night.