When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Burnley boss Dyche says Clarets keen to keep striker Ings
Updated 2:30pm Monday 14th July 2014 in Sport
BURNLEY boss Sean Dyche says Danny Ings is “going nowhere”, but no pressure will be put on the star striker to sign a new contract.
The Championship’s player of the year has been linked with Southampton, Newcastle and Everton this summer, while there was reported interest from Bundesliga giants Bayer Leverkusen and Wolfsburg.
Ings is in the last of the four-year contract he signed in making a £1million move from Bournemouth in the summer of 2011, and there have been informal discussions about prolonging his Turf Moor terms.
Kieran Trippier and Scott Arfield have already committed their longer term futures to the club this summer, after Sam Vokes signed a new deal during the course of last season.
Others are expected to follow suit, including goalkeeper Tom Heaton.
But after Ings helped to fire the Clarets to the Premier League, Dyche expects the England Under 21 international to stay, regardless of whether he puts pen to paper on a new deal or not.
“We’re happy to be flexible with it. He knows he’ll be part of what we’re doing,” he said.
“We’ve always said he’ll be going nowhere. He’s someone that we want to keep here, he wants to stay.
“It’s recently been documented by yourselves that he wants to get on with life at Burnley Football Club and play for Burnley in the Premier League.
“Happy days, that’s exactly what we want.
“All it is is a straight line view of where we are, our expectations, his expectations, all of us together going into the Premier League.”
Ings also insists he is ignoring transfer speculation.
“I just stay away from all of that,” said the striker, who top scored with 26 goals last season.
“I don’t find it hard to deal with, I just ignore it.
“There’s speculation all the time, but I’m contracted to Burnley and I’m just concentrating on my football.”
Dyche, who himself signed a new contract after steering the Clarets to automatic promotion, added: “We are keen on keeping our players and Tripps was the first (this summer) and he was really pleased to sign, really wanted to sign.
“Tripps is a really important one because I think people were wondering. We’re really pleased with that.
“Beyond that there are players who we want to keep and there are ongoing talks.
“Danny is one that is an ongoing process but to be honest we’re not in the business of selling our best players.
“We did say that last year, let’s be fair, and I think it’s a good sign that we haven’t.”
Burnley lost Charlie Austin on the eve of last season, in a £4million move to QPR. But Dyche insisted that late sale was not at the back of his mind now, because the club are financially much better off than they were this time 12 months ago when they were looking to claw back an £8million deficit.
“That was a different set of circumstances completely,” he said.
“The club felt it was appropriate at that time. The reality was at that time, it was needed, whereas now quite obviously that’s changed. It's a different set of circumstances now.”