Accrington Stanley release four but offer new deals

Danny Webber

Danny Webber

First published in Sport

ACCRINGTON Stanley have released four players but are attempting to retain the majority of this season’s squad.

The Reds have confirmed that former Manchester United striker Danny Webber (pictured) has not been offered a new deal and will be released when his current one-year contract expires this summer.

Webber, 32, scored three goals in 23 appearances in his solitary season at the Store First Stadium but had been in and out of the side in recent times.

Also leaving is left back Laurence Wilson, who played only 16 games during the 2013/14 season because of injury problems.

In addition, Reds boss James Beattie has opted to release midfielders George Miller and Luke Clark, who were both signed by Paul Cook and barely featured this term. Miller had a spell on loan at Chester.

Beattie said: “Making these tough decisions is one of the most unpleasant experiences of being a manager.

“I’d like to thank all four lads for their service and wish them all the best for the future.”

But Beattie has offered new deals to a host of other players, as he attempts to keep his young squad together for next season.

James Gray, who scored twice on the final day of the season against Wimbledon, has been offered a contract together with Dean Winnard, Michael Liddle, Will Hatfield and George Bowerman.

Josh Windass, son of Dean Windass, has been offered a deal after impressing in the final weeks of the campaign.

Homegrown striker Marcus Carver, 20, has similarly been offered a contract after recovering from ‘compartment syndrome’ – a rare condition where there is insufficient blood supply to muscles and nerves following an injury.

The Reds are also attempting to retain key midfielder Peter Murphy, who has been offered a new deal but is out of contract this summer and is attracting interest from elsewhere.

Beattie recently admitted that he could face a fight to hang on to some of his stars, with player of the year Tom Aldred also expecting to be gaining admirers.

The centre back, however, still has a year left on his Stanley contract – together with Luke Joyce, Kal Naismith, Nicky Hunt, Rob Atkinson, Piero Mingoia, Andrew Dawber and Ian Dunbavin. Goalkeeper Dunbavin spent the second half of the season on loan at Chesterfield as the Spireites were promoted to League One, but he did not play a game.

Young player of the year Marcus Bettinelli returns to Fulham at the end of his season-long loan at the club, although the 21-year-old keeper has said he enjoyed his time at Stanley so much that he would be open to a return next term.

Beattie has also expressed an interest in bringing back Kayode Odejayi, Lee Molyneux and Adam Buxton, who also had successful loan spells this season.

Odejayi has been released by Rotherham United at the end of his contract with the South Yorkshire club, although Beattie admits the striker would need to take a pay cut if he was to sign for Stanley on a permanent basis.

Stanley have already offered professional deals to youth team players James Jenkins, Luke Greaves and Liam Goulding.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:45pm Tue 13 May 14

BigOrra says...

Glad to see that Webber will be leaving, he's been a big disappointment this season. Think the others will get fixed up ok. Miller is a decent midfielder and imo is unlucky.
Glad to see that Webber will be leaving, he's been a big disappointment this season. Think the others will get fixed up ok. Miller is a decent midfielder and imo is unlucky. BigOrra
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree