THE Accrington and District Junior Boys Football League brought the curtain down on another successful season with a weekend of cup finals.

Clitheroe Football Club’s Shawbridge hosted all but one of the finals and there was the usual mix of highs and lows and, of course, the dreaded but dramatic penalty shoot-out.

The under 10s final was played at Salesbury Memorial Ground in Wilpshire between East Lancashire Juniors and Wilpshire Wanderers in a final where both team’s defensive stood firm.

Neither side could be separated during normal time but it extra time, with teams tiring, it was Wilpshire who proved to have that little bit extra in the tank as they ran out 2-1 winners.

The 9 v 9 and the 11-a-side finals were all hosted by Clitheroe FC .

First up was the Under 11s which was between Rishton United and Wilpshire Wanderers Blue – a contest between the two teams who finished first and second in the league table.

In a very even game, Rishton always just had the edge and managed to keep a goal in front of Wilpshire and ended up winning 3-1 to complete the league and cup double.

The Under 12s final was an all-Mill Hill affair with the Reds taking on the Whites.

With club pride at stake, it was always going to take something special to sort the teams out in an exciting end-to-end encounter with both teams going close on several occasions. However, it was the Whites who lifted the cup, winning 2-1.

The Under 13s final was a real cup cracker, with champions Fulledge Colts taking on Wilpshire Wanderers Red who finished third.

And it was Fulledge who completed the second double of the weekend as they edged a thrilling 4-3 victory.

There was more good news for Fulledge in the Under 14s as the Colts completed their domination of the season. After winning all 16 league games and finishing 14 points clear at the top of the table, they too made it a league and cup double – although they were pushed hard by a gritty Great Harwood Rovers side. But in the end, their quality and fitness told as they ran out comfortable 5-1 winners.

Under 15s champions Huncoat United Black proved to be too hot to handle for Greyhound Juniors as they scored six without reply.

In the last final of the day, the highly-fancied Wilpshire Wanderers were expected to be another double winner having won the league title but 13 points.

But Clitheroe Wolves Blue, who finished five places and 25 points behind had other ideas.

Wolves led in normal time and were are due to celebrate victory but Wanderers score a last-gasp equaliser to force extra time.

Wilpshire took the lead in extra time and it seemed normal service had been resumed but Wolves never say die attitude shone through and they scored an equaliser to take the final to the dreaded shoot-out.

Both goalkeepers were on top form, both saving spot kicks but it was the Clitheroe who kept their nerve to seal a 3-2 win.