Cairney: There’s no reason why Rovers can’t make a charge towards the play-offs

Tom Cairney

Tom Cairney

First published in Sport

BLACKBURN Rovers resume their promotion push at home to struggling Doncaster today (3pm) with man-of-the-moment Tom Cairney insisting: ‘We’re good enough to make the top six’.

Cairney, outstanding in the New Year’s Day win at Leeds and in last weekend’s FA Cup draw with Manchester City, believes Rovers have left it too late to make the top two.

But he has no doubt they can still finish in the play-off places.

Rovers could move into the top six for the first time this season if they condemn Doncaster to a seventh defeat in nine games and other results also go their way.

And Cairney said: “I think automatic promotion would be a big shout but play-offs are definitely an option.

“We’re only two points outside of the play-offs and we’ve dropped five points out of the last two home games – that’s frightening.

“Anyone can beat anyone in this league but I really do think we will go on a run at some point and that will really shoot us up the league.

“No team has outplayed us for 90 minutes. I think the only team that has outplayed us for 45 minutes was Leicester.

“Apart from that we’ve not played any team that have made us feel we’re really up against it here.

“That is great credit to us as we’re a young, British side who are learning.

“I really feel like we’re building something great here and that was the reason why I wanted to sign in the first place.”

After a highly successful six-month loan spell from Hull City Cairney made the move to Ewood Park permanent after the opening of the transfer window.

Cairney, who cost Rovers a bargain £600,000, believes he is now playing some of the best football of his burgeoning career.

The 22-year-old burst on to the scene four years ago, playing 11 times and scoring one goal in Hull’s first stint in the Premier League.

He was part of the Tigers squad that won promotion back to the top flight last season by finishing second in the Championship.

A serious knee injury, however, restricted Cairney to just 10 appearances.

Cairney said: “I was out for quite a long time so I knew I needed a good pre-season behind me and try and play as many games as possible and do as well as I could.

“I think I have done that here and now that I’ve signed permanently hopefully I can kick on to bigger and better things and help try and get Blackburn back in the Premier League.”

Cairney scored two goals in his first four games for Rovers.

But he has not found the back of the net since the 5-2 home win over Barnsley on August 24, leading Rovers boss Gary Bowyer to challenge his new recruit to add more goals to his game.

Cairney said: “It’s been a bit frustrating – like at Brighton where I thought Superman was in their goal. I had three shots and he pulled them all out.

“That’s the part to kick me on to the next level, adding more goals to my game, and hopefully I can do that.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:33am Sat 11 Jan 14

greenscreener says...

Good to know you are confident Tom, but let's do it on the pitch.

We got turned over by this lot in August, a match where we dominated possession but didn't put to bed. I don't want to be reading about bad refereeing decisions tonight, no complacency, no mercy.

COYB
Good to know you are confident Tom, but let's do it on the pitch. We got turned over by this lot in August, a match where we dominated possession but didn't put to bed. I don't want to be reading about bad refereeing decisions tonight, no complacency, no mercy. COYB greenscreener
  • Score: 9

9:37am Sat 11 Jan 14

RobH2O says...

There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it!

Mega!
There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it! Mega! RobH2O
  • Score: -10

10:12am Sat 11 Jan 14

Always A Rover says...

RobH2O wrote:
There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it!

Mega!
The most pathetic attempt at trolling I've seen in a long while.

Go back to bed.
[quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it! Mega![/p][/quote]The most pathetic attempt at trolling I've seen in a long while. Go back to bed. Always A Rover
  • Score: 14

10:51am Sat 11 Jan 14

Burnley59/60 says...

RobH2O wrote:
There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it!

Mega!
From a Claret 100% I can tell you the best result Burnley Up automatically Rovers win the playoffs and the Derby Played where both sides belong In The Top Flight, Despite what anyone might say,banter aside both are Great Historic Clubs,as a Claret I Hate the foreign Idiots who own Rovers and I wish the people of Blackburn to keep makeing this point until they get the message and leave,Good Luck to both teams from a real football fan
[quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it! Mega![/p][/quote]From a Claret 100% I can tell you the best result Burnley Up automatically Rovers win the playoffs and the Derby Played where both sides belong In The Top Flight, Despite what anyone might say,banter aside both are Great Historic Clubs,as a Claret I Hate the foreign Idiots who own Rovers and I wish the people of Blackburn to keep makeing this point until they get the message and leave,Good Luck to both teams from a real football fan Burnley59/60
  • Score: 26

11:09am Sat 11 Jan 14

juanbbien says...

He is playing the best football of his,wait for it Burgeoning career I consider myself of being reasonably intelligent but I had to look up this word it means Growing or Flourishing,please Lancashire Telegraph keep it simple as I'm sure many people will struggle with this type of description
He is playing the best football of his,wait for it Burgeoning career I consider myself of being reasonably intelligent but I had to look up this word it means Growing or Flourishing,please Lancashire Telegraph keep it simple as I'm sure many people will struggle with this type of description juanbbien
  • Score: -1

11:56am Sat 11 Jan 14

Dukes says...

got to bed donny today.
got to bed donny today. Dukes
  • Score: 0

11:56am Sat 11 Jan 14

Dukes says...

Dukes wrote:
got to bed donny today.
mean got to beat Donny if we want these playoffs.
[quote][p][bold]Dukes[/bold] wrote: got to bed donny today.[/p][/quote]mean got to beat Donny if we want these playoffs. Dukes
  • Score: 1

12:16pm Sat 11 Jan 14

A Darener says...

Dukes wrote:
Dukes wrote:
got to bed donny today.
mean got to beat Donny if we want these playoffs.
And hopefully the rest of the teams between now and season end!
[quote][p][bold]Dukes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dukes[/bold] wrote: got to bed donny today.[/p][/quote]mean got to beat Donny if we want these playoffs.[/p][/quote]And hopefully the rest of the teams between now and season end! A Darener
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Sat 11 Jan 14

MatthewCA says...

Sometime cairney is not accurate, looks more lazy shots on target.

No power and dip in the freekick. 1in 25 may convert to goal.
Pedersen 1in5 converts to sure goals.
Sometime cairney is not accurate, looks more lazy shots on target. No power and dip in the freekick. 1in 25 may convert to goal. Pedersen 1in5 converts to sure goals. MatthewCA
  • Score: -1

1:38pm Sat 11 Jan 14

RobH2O says...

Always A Rover wrote:
RobH2O wrote:
There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it!

Mega!
The most pathetic attempt at trolling I've seen in a long while.

Go back to bed.
You don't read your own stuff then numpty
[quote][p][bold]Always A Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it! Mega![/p][/quote]The most pathetic attempt at trolling I've seen in a long while. Go back to bed.[/p][/quote]You don't read your own stuff then numpty RobH2O
  • Score: -1

1:38pm Sat 11 Jan 14

RobH2O says...

Always A Rover wrote:
RobH2O wrote:
There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it!

Mega!
The most pathetic attempt at trolling I've seen in a long while.

Go back to bed.
You don't read your own stuff then numpty
[quote][p][bold]Always A Rover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it! Mega![/p][/quote]The most pathetic attempt at trolling I've seen in a long while. Go back to bed.[/p][/quote]You don't read your own stuff then numpty RobH2O
  • Score: -2

1:41pm Sat 11 Jan 14

RobH2O says...

Burnley59/60 wrote:
RobH2O wrote:
There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it!

Mega!
From a Claret 100% I can tell you the best result Burnley Up automatically Rovers win the playoffs and the Derby Played where both sides belong In The Top Flight, Despite what anyone might say,banter aside both are Great Historic Clubs,as a Claret I Hate the foreign Idiots who own Rovers and I wish the people of Blackburn to keep makeing this point until they get the message and leave,Good Luck to both teams from a real football fan
Please don't mistake banter for a series point. I agree with all that you say. Bot don't forget the rivalry too. I have to live next door to one of them.
[quote][p][bold]Burnley59/60[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: There's no reason why Whoavers can't make a charge towards the playoffs? Making a charge towards them is not actually getting in them is it. Honest lad then. Whoavers are rubbish and he knows it! Mega![/p][/quote]From a Claret 100% I can tell you the best result Burnley Up automatically Rovers win the playoffs and the Derby Played where both sides belong In The Top Flight, Despite what anyone might say,banter aside both are Great Historic Clubs,as a Claret I Hate the foreign Idiots who own Rovers and I wish the people of Blackburn to keep makeing this point until they get the message and leave,Good Luck to both teams from a real football fan[/p][/quote]Please don't mistake banter for a series point. I agree with all that you say. Bot don't forget the rivalry too. I have to live next door to one of them. RobH2O
  • Score: -2

1:48pm Sat 11 Jan 14

vicn1956 says...

Burnley 59/60
When we put a negative comment on the venkys they come on here in droves calling us all sorts. I call them venky lovers.
Won't stop me though.
Burnley 59/60 When we put a negative comment on the venkys they come on here in droves calling us all sorts. I call them venky lovers. Won't stop me though. vicn1956
  • Score: -1

2:43pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Burnley59/60 says...

vicn1956 wrote:
Burnley 59/60
When we put a negative comment on the venkys they come on here in droves calling us all sorts. I call them venky lovers.
Won't stop me though.
Venkys,should leave Rovers alone they no nothing about football all Banter aside Rovers need to be in the Hands of people from Blackburn,end of story and every true fan from our part of the world be they a Burnley,Rovers,or Stanley fan would I hope agree
[quote][p][bold]vicn1956[/bold] wrote: Burnley 59/60 When we put a negative comment on the venkys they come on here in droves calling us all sorts. I call them venky lovers. Won't stop me though.[/p][/quote]Venkys,should leave Rovers alone they no nothing about football all Banter aside Rovers need to be in the Hands of people from Blackburn,end of story and every true fan from our part of the world be they a Burnley,Rovers,or Stanley fan would I hope agree Burnley59/60
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree