When news happens, text LT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Anderson banned for failed 'banned substance' test
10:20am Monday 9th December 2013 in Sport
THE British Boxing Board of Control has confirmed that Gisburn-trained super-middleweight Kenny Anderson has been given a two-year ring ban after testing positive for a banned substance.
The 30-year-old cannot return until October next year at the earliest as a result of failing a routine drugs test following his British super-middleweight title win over Robin Reid 14 months ago.
The British Boxing Board of Control has also stripped Anderson of the Lonsdale Belt after he claimed previously that he had vacated the title for “personal reasons” rather than keeping Paul Smith waiting for a shot.
Anderson insisted his coffee had been spiked, but his defence that he was an innocent victim was dismissed by the BBBC’s disciplinary panel.
Robert Smith, chief executive of the sport’s governing body, said: “He failed a dope test and was suspended for two years. After a period of two years has elapsed he can reapply for his licence and we’ll take it from there.”
Anderson’s ex-manager Steve Wood said: “Kenny claims someone spiked his coffee with amphetamine.
“It was kind of accepted but he has now been told it is your responsibility what goes in your body and has been banned.
“This is the final decision so that is it.”
The ban is backdated to October 2012 when the test was failed.
Comments are closed on this article.