Best back and Forrester at the double for Rovers reserves

First published in Sport Lancashire Telegraph: Photograph of the Author by , Blackburn Rovers reporter

LEON Best made a welcome return from injury tonight in Blackburn Rovers reserves’ 2-1 win at home to Sunderland.

Rovers’ circa £3million summer signing has been out of action ever since injuring a cruciate knee ligament in pre-season, but played almost 70 minutes as he stepped up his bid for fitness as an Anton Forrester double helped Rovers secure victory.

Midfielder Dickson Etuhu and right back Adam Henley also made their returns from injury, both playing for an hour, boosting Michael Appleton’s squad options ahead of Rovers’ Championship play-off push.

It was Sunderland who took the lead on just eight minutes as Jordan Laidler’s 20-yard free-kick took a hefty deflection off the wall to wrong foot Greg Sandomierski in Rovers’ goal.

The visitors should have doubled their lead on 19 as Alex Gorrin fired just wide from close range, before Makael Mandron missed the target, with Rovers struggling to get into the game.

The hosts’ first real chance of the evening came on the half hour mark as Fabio Nunes cut into Sunderland’s box before pulling the ball back for Anton Forrester, but the striker dallied and his shot was blocked.

Best’s first chance of the game came on 39 as Nunes’ clever through ball saw him bearing down on goal but, after a good touch out of his feet, his strike was blocked by a retreating defender.

Rovers were level on 42 though as Forrester raced onto a clearance over the top of the Sunderland defence and kept his cool to finish low under goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.

After the break, both sides struggled to create much with Nunes volleying wide for Rovers and Mandron heading wide for the visitors.

But with time ticking away Forrester scored his second to make it four goals in two reserve games since signing for the club from Everton.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:35pm Mon 18 Feb 13

DudleyRover says...

Good to see the lads returning from injury, especially Best who I think could be a big asset towards the end of the season providing we am still in play off picture. Congratulations to the young lad forrester on his goals as well. Good to be enjoying football again and being able to be optimistic before games. Keep it up Appy and the lads
Good to see the lads returning from injury, especially Best who I think could be a big asset towards the end of the season providing we am still in play off picture. Congratulations to the young lad forrester on his goals as well. Good to be enjoying football again and being able to be optimistic before games. Keep it up Appy and the lads DudleyRover
  • Score: 2

10:03pm Mon 18 Feb 13

MurphysBestBitter says...

DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.
DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge. MurphysBestBitter
  • Score: 1

11:06pm Mon 18 Feb 13

Captain Dreckley says...

Followed the game on Twitter. Looked like Nunes was really supplying some quality deliveries to the front men. Get him back in the first team on the left flank, Bentley on the right and Rhodes will think all his Christmases have come at once
Followed the game on Twitter. Looked like Nunes was really supplying some quality deliveries to the front men. Get him back in the first team on the left flank, Bentley on the right and Rhodes will think all his Christmases have come at once Captain Dreckley
  • Score: 4

11:48pm Mon 18 Feb 13

modan says...

Good to see Leon Best back and the young lad Forrestor looks good for the future.
BRFC is owned Venkys a Billionaire family in Pune India

Dave Cameron Britain's Prime Minister is in India for three days for trade and jobs for Britain.
He said " India is the second fastest growing economy in the world and will have the third largest economy by 2030"

www india skyscrapercity.com
Good to see Leon Best back and the young lad Forrestor looks good for the future. BRFC is owned Venkys a Billionaire family in Pune India Dave Cameron Britain's Prime Minister is in India for three days for trade and jobs for Britain. He said " India is the second fastest growing economy in the world and will have the third largest economy by 2030" www india skyscrapercity.com modan
  • Score: -14

1:46am Tue 19 Feb 13

kenbro says...

mad one. We are sick of your Indian comments. You need to grow up and stop irritating fans who come on here to talk about our team. You are giving India a bad name. Are all Indians as obnoxious as you ? If it is so great there, please go. You will not be missed.
mad one. We are sick of your Indian comments. You need to grow up and stop irritating fans who come on here to talk about our team. You are giving India a bad name. Are all Indians as obnoxious as you ? If it is so great there, please go. You will not be missed. kenbro
  • Score: 8

1:50am Tue 19 Feb 13

MxMave says...

Captain Dreckley wrote:
Followed the game on Twitter. Looked like Nunes was really supplying some quality deliveries to the front men. Get him back in the first team on the left flank, Bentley on the right and Rhodes will think all his Christmases have come at once
Did it mention whether any of his crosses went above 4ft high? That was always his problem when he played for the first team.
[quote][p][bold]Captain Dreckley[/bold] wrote: Followed the game on Twitter. Looked like Nunes was really supplying some quality deliveries to the front men. Get him back in the first team on the left flank, Bentley on the right and Rhodes will think all his Christmases have come at once[/p][/quote]Did it mention whether any of his crosses went above 4ft high? That was always his problem when he played for the first team. MxMave
  • Score: 0

5:31am Tue 19 Feb 13

Dublin rover says...

Great news on best 70 min played
Great news on best 70 min played Dublin rover
  • Score: 1

6:16am Tue 19 Feb 13

forever blue and white says...

modan wrote:
Good to see Leon Best back and the young lad Forrestor looks good for the future.
BRFC is owned Venkys a Billionaire family in Pune India

Dave Cameron Britain's Prime Minister is in India for three days for trade and jobs for Britain.
He said " India is the second fastest growing economy in the world and will have the third largest economy by 2030"

www india skyscrapercity.com
Not sure many people on here care one jot if India is the best country in the world or the worst. If it is that good clear off and stay in India. Take Dangerous Dave with you. Who by the way has been incredibly quiet for the last 3 days.
[quote][p][bold]modan[/bold] wrote: Good to see Leon Best back and the young lad Forrestor looks good for the future. BRFC is owned Venkys a Billionaire family in Pune India Dave Cameron Britain's Prime Minister is in India for three days for trade and jobs for Britain. He said " India is the second fastest growing economy in the world and will have the third largest economy by 2030" www india skyscrapercity.com[/p][/quote]Not sure many people on here care one jot if India is the best country in the world or the worst. If it is that good clear off and stay in India. Take Dangerous Dave with you. Who by the way has been incredibly quiet for the last 3 days. forever blue and white
  • Score: 1

6:33am Tue 19 Feb 13

deepak-rovers4ever says...

Mr. Modan i am also Indian who follows rovers bt why u bring Indian economy & other stuff here....ppl like u shame for any country!!!
Venkys had their share of mistakes & deserve all sticks from BRFC fans!!
Mr. Modan i am also Indian who follows rovers bt why u bring Indian economy & other stuff here....ppl like u shame for any country!!! Venkys had their share of mistakes & deserve all sticks from BRFC fans!! deepak-rovers4ever
  • Score: 8

6:47am Tue 19 Feb 13

Trumpton riots says...

I think Modan may have an inferioty complex,perhaps he should join the other reflected glory hunters at Man U, L'pool, Arsenal (ha ha) etc. And hope an Indian family does not buy them out !
All he makes me think of is the dad in the Kumars at no 42.
I think Modan may have an inferioty complex,perhaps he should join the other reflected glory hunters at Man U, L'pool, Arsenal (ha ha) etc. And hope an Indian family does not buy them out ! All he makes me think of is the dad in the Kumars at no 42. Trumpton riots
  • Score: 1

7:18am Tue 19 Feb 13

IndianRocks says...

deepak-rovers4ever wrote:
Mr. Modan i am also Indian who follows rovers bt why u bring Indian economy & other stuff here....ppl like u shame for any country!!!
Venkys had their share of mistakes & deserve all sticks from BRFC fans!!
I am with you on this.. No need to repeat same thing every time. We Indians have lot of potential and have proven that many times. No need to shout it everytime. This forum is for forovers fan like u,me and others. Please respect that.
[quote][p][bold]deepak-rovers4ever[/bold] wrote: Mr. Modan i am also Indian who follows rovers bt why u bring Indian economy & other stuff here....ppl like u shame for any country!!! Venkys had their share of mistakes & deserve all sticks from BRFC fans!![/p][/quote]I am with you on this.. No need to repeat same thing every time. We Indians have lot of potential and have proven that many times. No need to shout it everytime. This forum is for forovers fan like u,me and others. Please respect that. IndianRocks
  • Score: 4

8:09am Tue 19 Feb 13

A Darener says...

Even the news from the reserves is positive. Will this euphoria ever end?
Even the news from the reserves is positive. Will this euphoria ever end? A Darener
  • Score: 3

8:12am Tue 19 Feb 13

BlueSkies says...

going Hull tonight, leaving Darwen sometime after 3pm. Can buy tickets at ground. Got spare seat if someone interested.
going Hull tonight, leaving Darwen sometime after 3pm. Can buy tickets at ground. Got spare seat if someone interested. BlueSkies
  • Score: 2

8:14am Tue 19 Feb 13

A Darener says...

BlueSkies wrote:
going Hull tonight, leaving Darwen sometime after 3pm. Can buy tickets at ground. Got spare seat if someone interested.
Perhaps you could take modan, but don't bring him back.
[quote][p][bold]BlueSkies[/bold] wrote: going Hull tonight, leaving Darwen sometime after 3pm. Can buy tickets at ground. Got spare seat if someone interested.[/p][/quote]Perhaps you could take modan, but don't bring him back. A Darener
  • Score: 3

8:42am Tue 19 Feb 13

French Rover says...

This young scouse lad Forester is really cracking the goals in.....imagine him and Rhodes up front with Best and CKR just behind and Nunes and Bentley supplying the ammo...
This young scouse lad Forester is really cracking the goals in.....imagine him and Rhodes up front with Best and CKR just behind and Nunes and Bentley supplying the ammo... French Rover
  • Score: 1

9:28am Tue 19 Feb 13

forever blue and white says...

French Rover wrote:
This young scouse lad Forester is really cracking the goals in.....imagine him and Rhodes up front with Best and CKR just behind and Nunes and Bentley supplying the ammo...
Not really a lot of room for defenders there Mr French. However, I like the attacking idea so stuff it I agree. In fact throw Campbell in as well. Fantastic! Fancy 3 points tonight for some reason but would be happy with one. 5 point return from the next 3 games would be good. More would be a bonus.
[quote][p][bold]French Rover[/bold] wrote: This young scouse lad Forester is really cracking the goals in.....imagine him and Rhodes up front with Best and CKR just behind and Nunes and Bentley supplying the ammo...[/p][/quote]Not really a lot of room for defenders there Mr French. However, I like the attacking idea so stuff it I agree. In fact throw Campbell in as well. Fantastic! Fancy 3 points tonight for some reason but would be happy with one. 5 point return from the next 3 games would be good. More would be a bonus. forever blue and white
  • Score: 0

9:38am Tue 19 Feb 13

A Rover 45 years and over says...

Noticed the reserve keeper was the Polish guy and wondered why the number 2 keeper Seb Usai was not playing for match fitness. Where has this guy come from is he the one Shebby brought in at the last minute in the previous transfer window.
Noticed the reserve keeper was the Polish guy and wondered why the number 2 keeper Seb Usai was not playing for match fitness. Where has this guy come from is he the one Shebby brought in at the last minute in the previous transfer window. A Rover 45 years and over
  • Score: 0

9:58am Tue 19 Feb 13

Nellie 77 says...

MurphysBestBitter wrote:
DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.
EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.!
[quote][p][bold]MurphysBestBitter[/bold] wrote: DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.[/p][/quote]EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.! Nellie 77
  • Score: 0

10:45am Tue 19 Feb 13

DudleyRover says...

Nellie 77 wrote:
MurphysBestBitter wrote:
DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.
EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.!
I'm from gornal/sedgley way lads. 2-1 to the rovers tonight Campbell with the winner, rhodes with the first.
[quote][p][bold]Nellie 77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MurphysBestBitter[/bold] wrote: DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.[/p][/quote]EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.![/p][/quote]I'm from gornal/sedgley way lads. 2-1 to the rovers tonight Campbell with the winner, rhodes with the first. DudleyRover
  • Score: 0

11:29am Tue 19 Feb 13

Nellie 77 says...

DudleyRover wrote:
Nellie 77 wrote:
MurphysBestBitter wrote:
DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.
EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.!
I'm from gornal/sedgley way lads. 2-1 to the rovers tonight Campbell with the winner, rhodes with the first.
Good on ya Dudley rover. I reckons a cheeky one nil to rovers tonight with another defensive master clasl. Come on rovers. Up the west midlands rovers massive
[quote][p][bold]DudleyRover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nellie 77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MurphysBestBitter[/bold] wrote: DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.[/p][/quote]EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.![/p][/quote]I'm from gornal/sedgley way lads. 2-1 to the rovers tonight Campbell with the winner, rhodes with the first.[/p][/quote]Good on ya Dudley rover. I reckons a cheeky one nil to rovers tonight with another defensive master clasl. Come on rovers. Up the west midlands rovers massive Nellie 77
  • Score: 0

12:39pm Tue 19 Feb 13

Harry N.Cyprus says...

Nellie 77 wrote:
DudleyRover wrote:
Nellie 77 wrote:
MurphysBestBitter wrote:
DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.
EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.!
I'm from gornal/sedgley way lads. 2-1 to the rovers tonight Campbell with the winner, rhodes with the first.
Good on ya Dudley rover. I reckons a cheeky one nil to rovers tonight with another defensive master clasl. Come on rovers. Up the west midlands rovers massive
Good to see so many Rovers fans in the Midlands .. I have been a Rovers fan for 65 years .. Born & bred in Blackburn ..
Now retired to Northern Cyprus ..
Be interesting to know how you all come to support the Rovers ..
[quote][p][bold]Nellie 77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DudleyRover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nellie 77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MurphysBestBitter[/bold] wrote: DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.[/p][/quote]EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.![/p][/quote]I'm from gornal/sedgley way lads. 2-1 to the rovers tonight Campbell with the winner, rhodes with the first.[/p][/quote]Good on ya Dudley rover. I reckons a cheeky one nil to rovers tonight with another defensive master clasl. Come on rovers. Up the west midlands rovers massive[/p][/quote]Good to see so many Rovers fans in the Midlands .. I have been a Rovers fan for 65 years .. Born & bred in Blackburn .. Now retired to Northern Cyprus .. Be interesting to know how you all come to support the Rovers .. Harry N.Cyprus
  • Score: 1

1:00pm Tue 19 Feb 13

noddy57 says...

the confidence is high for the hull game, lets get the job done and we can celebrate 3 points after we have earned them,best of luck rovers,,hope simon garner is in the commentary box again,,but he is probably grafting his backside off doing his painting,,understand
able seing as hes based down south,,legend,,
the confidence is high for the hull game, lets get the job done and we can celebrate 3 points after we have earned them,best of luck rovers,,hope simon garner is in the commentary box again,,but he is probably grafting his backside off doing his painting,,understand able seing as hes based down south,,legend,, noddy57
  • Score: 0

1:16pm Tue 19 Feb 13

Nellie 77 says...

Harry N.Cyprus wrote:
Nellie 77 wrote:
DudleyRover wrote:
Nellie 77 wrote:
MurphysBestBitter wrote:
DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.
EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.!
I'm from gornal/sedgley way lads. 2-1 to the rovers tonight Campbell with the winner, rhodes with the first.
Good on ya Dudley rover. I reckons a cheeky one nil to rovers tonight with another defensive master clasl. Come on rovers. Up the west midlands rovers massive
Good to see so many Rovers fans in the Midlands .. I have been a Rovers fan for 65 years .. Born & bred in Blackburn ..
Now retired to Northern Cyprus ..
Be interesting to know how you all come to support the Rovers ..
I'm a darrener born into a family of rovers mad daft aipoths so I didn't stand a chance. Drives me insane not being able to get to all the home games. Must be even worse fer you mister Cyprus. There is nothing like the sweet sight of ewood park on the horizon on a match day. Up the rovers!
[quote][p][bold]Harry N.Cyprus[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nellie 77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DudleyRover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nellie 77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MurphysBestBitter[/bold] wrote: DudleyRover, where's bouts in Dudley r ya mate? i'm a Rover in Stourbridge.[/p][/quote]EY up stourbridge rover. I work near kiddy and live in worcester. There are at least four of us hear spreading the word. Good to know there are to rovers fans in the vicinity. Up the rovers.![/p][/quote]I'm from gornal/sedgley way lads. 2-1 to the rovers tonight Campbell with the winner, rhodes with the first.[/p][/quote]Good on ya Dudley rover. I reckons a cheeky one nil to rovers tonight with another defensive master clasl. Come on rovers. Up the west midlands rovers massive[/p][/quote]Good to see so many Rovers fans in the Midlands .. I have been a Rovers fan for 65 years .. Born & bred in Blackburn .. Now retired to Northern Cyprus .. Be interesting to know how you all come to support the Rovers ..[/p][/quote]I'm a darrener born into a family of rovers mad daft aipoths so I didn't stand a chance. Drives me insane not being able to get to all the home games. Must be even worse fer you mister Cyprus. There is nothing like the sweet sight of ewood park on the horizon on a match day. Up the rovers! Nellie 77
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Tue 19 Feb 13

alfa111 says...

IndianRocks wrote:
deepak-rovers4ever wrote:
Mr. Modan i am also Indian who follows rovers bt why u bring Indian economy & other stuff here....ppl like u shame for any country!!!
Venkys had their share of mistakes & deserve all sticks from BRFC fans!!
I am with you on this.. No need to repeat same thing every time. We Indians have lot of potential and have proven that many times. No need to shout it everytime. This forum is for forovers fan like u,me and others. Please respect that.
Here here, honest and wise words from both of you, football is all that should be talked about on this site not politics. lets all be chatting on a good rovers win tonight.
[quote][p][bold]IndianRocks[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]deepak-rovers4ever[/bold] wrote: Mr. Modan i am also Indian who follows rovers bt why u bring Indian economy & other stuff here....ppl like u shame for any country!!! Venkys had their share of mistakes & deserve all sticks from BRFC fans!![/p][/quote]I am with you on this.. No need to repeat same thing every time. We Indians have lot of potential and have proven that many times. No need to shout it everytime. This forum is for forovers fan like u,me and others. Please respect that.[/p][/quote]Here here, honest and wise words from both of you, football is all that should be talked about on this site not politics. lets all be chatting on a good rovers win tonight. alfa111
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree