BLACKBURN’S push for promotion was blown off course on a blustery Cumbrian coastline.

Despite leading 6-3 at the break which was extended to 11-3 soon after the restart, Burn’s 2013 ultimately began in defeat despite a valiant effort.

The start of the match was very even – Workington working hard to maintain possession to keep Burn at bay.

But the visitors finally got points on the board when debutant Nick Smith slotted over a penalty from 30 metres out in the 18th minute.

He was successful with another kick five minutes later to stretch Blackburn’s lead to 6-0.

Workington hit back with a kick of their own but Blackburn had the better of remainder of the half and only mistakes and conceded penalties denied them from stretching the lead.

Playing against the wind in the second half, Blackburn survived some early Workington pressure who missed the chance to draw level following a wayward penalty.

But Burn managed to score the first try of the match midway through the half.

A few phases of play had taken Burn into the Workington half, the ball was then spread along the backs from right to left.

Theo Coleman received the ball on the wing 30 metres out, he barged past his opposite man and then showed enough pace to stay clear of the covering defenders to touch down to give Burn a 11-3 lead.

Nick Smith was unable to kick the conversion, but the away side had given themselves a real chance of victory.

However, all their hard work was quickly undone as Workington scored their first try straight from the restart after the ball was turned over.

The conversion was missed but the home side were now within three points of Burn with the wind on their backs.

It seemed Blackburn might hang on for a hard-fought victory but with just two minutes to go, the home side sealed their victory.

Penalties had pushed Burn back into their 22, and after several phases of play, Workington found themselves camped on the Burn line – and their resistance was finally beaten as Workington’s hooker squeezed through to score under the post’s. The conversion was successful making the score 15-11.

Burn had one last chance to snatch victory but despite taking play up into the home side’s 22, the chance went when they were penalised and Workington kicked to touch to bring the game to a close.

Blackburn’s efforts didn’t go unrewarded as they picked up a losing bonus point.