SAM Morgan made a try-scoring return to action as Blackburn ground out an important win against promotion-chasing Aldwinians.

While it wasn’t a day for free-flowing rugby, Blackburn will be pleased that they controlled much of the match to bounce back from last weekend’s disappointing defeat at St Benedicts.

Coach Dino Radice had set his side the target of two victories in the last two fixtures of 2012 to keep their hopes of reaching the play-offs alive.

And Blackburn started the stronger of the two teams and were unfortunate not to open the scoring with their first meaningful attack of the game.

Following a strong run from Sam Morgan, the ball was recycled and Sean Hall fed a charging Damian Miller who took the ball at pace before passing to Paul Lorenzen.

He cut back inside and passed to Rob Parker who in turn found to Greg Jansen.

But with the try line looming, a forward pass ended the flowing move just five metres short of the line.

Leon Fifield then had a chance to kick Blackburn ahead but his penalty kick on eight minutes drifted just wide. However, the home side didn’t need to wait too long for the first try of the match which arrived just four minutes later.

Aldwinians had been pinned in their own 22, and a clearance kick didn’t go far enough and was gathered by Sean Hall just outside the 22.

Hall attacked at pace and fed the ball along the line to Greg Jansen, he cut back inside and Morgan cleverly looped around him to go over in the corner.

It marked a welcome return to action for Morgan following a long injury lay off.

Leon Fifield missed the conversion from outwide but he made amends with a successful penalty kick from 30 metres out.

Aldwinians replied with a kick of their own to make it 8-3 at the break.

Aldwinians, who had only lost two league games going in to the clash, started the second half the better, forcing Blackburn to give away a series of penalties.

This allowed them to kick for territory then for the posts following another infringement.

However, the kick was missed and Fifield then pulled another wide and neither side could add to their total.

Blackburn then suffered a blow when skipper, Chris Lowden, was sin binned for continuous team penalties. But despite being a player down, Burn extended heir lead thanks to a Fifiield penalty.

As expected, Aldwinians fought back but Burn stood firm until the last play of the game when the visitors crossed for a bonus point try.